Going to Florida

The family and I will be pulling our camper to Florida in March originating from Louisville, KY.

Any insight as to what we should preparations we should make for this trip?
We've only pulled the camper within a couple hours of home. Getting new tires before we leave

Also, how can we route ourselves around the mountains around Chattanooga and stay away from Atlanta?

Thanks

danemayer

Hi Camper391r,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. There's lots of useful information here along with a great bunch of friendly and helpful people. I'm sure you'll get some feedback shortly.

MCTalley

A lot would depend on where in Florida you are headed. However, from Louisville if I were wanting to avoid the hills around Chattanooga (that are not bad unless you are looking at I-24 between Nashville and Chattanooga), I'd be inclined to take I-65 south to Montgomery, Alabama, then pick up US-231 to I-10, then across I-10 to I-75.

I used Google maps to check the most direct route from Louisville to Tampa, Florida which was I-65 to Nashville, I-24 to Chattanooga and I-75 to Tampa. Using the route I indicated, above, adds about 60 miles to your trip. US 231 is primarily four-lane divided at 65 mph most of the way. We travel that section often between the Montgomery area and Panama City Beach. It's an easy drive if you use the western half of the bypass around Dothan, Alabama.

Extra bonus - ALDOT has finally re-paved most of I-65 through Birmingham so no more major washboard road through there.