Good news??

HappyKayakers

Just finished a trip from central FL to NC. After arriving in NC I noticed abnormal wear on the BH tires. Looked like all 4 were wearing on the outside edges, like they were underinflated (which they weren't). Took the RV to a local dealer with a good reputation (Tom Johnson in Marion NC). They suspected a problem with axles but after measuring axles and frame and talking to Lippert, everything was within specs. So, I don't have to buy new axles but they can't figure out the abnormal wear. I'm running G614s at 110psi, all balanced, bought over a period of 2 yrs. The last 3 were purchased in the last 6 months. Any ideas or opinions?

DMitch

To really check the aligment of your axles you should take your unit to a good trailer spring shop. The shops that reapair big trailers. Alignment of the axles is best checked and corrected on one of thier alignment machines. I have been thru this myself. The dealer and Lippert both said my alignments were in spec yet I was wearing tires like you are. Took it to a good aligment shop and the problem was corrected for little money. They explained to me that the axle aligment was checked from the king pin to the axles not from any position on the frame.

caissiel

From my past experience with the previous trailer. If the axles are out of alignment there would be different wear on one axle to the other. It one pulls one way the tires on the other axle would wear opposite.
1. The wear on the outside could mean the trailer might not be loaded enough for the axle on the unit. Every axle flex some and they are bent to make the tires tilted to the outside making the outside of the tire touch harder on the pavement.
2. It could be that the toe-in is toward the inside on both axles, thus a bend axle that can be seen easily using a ruler on the outside of both tires on one side.

GOTTOYS

I would bring it to a good heavy duty alignment shop and have it checked. I would be willing to bet that is the problem....Don

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Just in case you are not aware of this...the 614's come with slick (no tread) outside edges. Here is a picture of a new one. Your wear may be different but if this is what you see it may be normal!

Best Wishes!

HappyKayakers

Just in case you are not aware of this...the 614's come with slick (no tread) outside edges. Here is a picture of a new one. Your wear may be different but if this is what you see it may be normal!

Best Wishes!

If ya'll could see me kicking myself right now it would be quite a sight. I never noticed that when I put the tires on but that's exactly how they look now. These forums are really great. One less thing to worry about on the way to my new job. :)

caissiel

I wonder how the Trailer Shops train their techs. We have more info on this forum then going to a dealer shop.
Well done good answer

HappyKayakers

I wonder how the Trailer Shops train their techs. We have more info on this forum then going to a dealer shop.
Well done good answer

I sure can't badmouth the techs. I still consider myself a computer professional with certifications and 20+ yrs experience but there are always users out there who become expert in their own little niches of which I know very little. With all the different RV brands and combinations, and new innovations coming out every month it's tough to know it all.