Goodyear G614 failure

Tom of Ypsi

Yesterday afternoon had a tire failure on a Goodyear G614 LT235R16 and two years old on 4/13. Date of manufacture is 3/07 so age is not a factor The pressure pro did not go off which concerned me but when looking at the tire it was still inflated. Looks to me like I got retreads instead of new tires:mad:, paid $900 for 4 on sale plus tax. Of course I lost a fender and some aluminum but that was all and was able to limp 1/2 mile to an exit and used a K-Mart parking lot to change the tire. Used my level up:D to get tires off of the ground and change and on the road again within an hour. Has anyone else had a flat or loss of tread on the G614 and if so were they retreads?

Tom,

Well, at least you're in the Elkhart area for replacement parts :) Use your club member discount too. And do follow-up with Goodyear to see if there's any pro-rated warranty left and/or damage coverage. Hopefully you saved the tire carnage for their inspection.

Jim

Tom of Ypsi

Jim,

I have the tire but I am not in Elkhart. This happened in Mi after we left Elkhart yesterday. I went to the tire store, Belle Tire (American Car Care Centers) and they have ordered me a new tire. They were real busy and I told them we would have a further discussion this week when my new tire comes in. It these are retreads as I suspect I will be looking for them to pay for repairs.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Sorry to hear about the tire and damage to the RV. I am familiar with the damage as has happened to use twice with the China Bombs. Both times the damage was about $4700 but it was covered by the insurance. Don't know if your insurance will cover it but if so they will fight the fight with Goodyear and the tire company to get reimbursement so you won't have to. I see you changed the tire yourself. Thought you had Good Sam ERS. Tell Jusy hello for us and take care. BTW - my 614's do not appear to be retreads or regrooved. Also you said the sensor did not go off, then I presume just the tread area came off and the carcass of the tire remained mounted and inflated. If that is the case then it is a good thing it was not a C -Bomb or it would have 'blown up'. Do u have damage pictures.

Last edited:

lwmcguir

The new tires have a tread depth of about 12/32 which is fairly shallow by design. We have never blown or had tread come off a G614 since they have been available. We run them on stock trailers that are loaded heavier than the Fifth Wheel Campers by quite a bit. This goes back many years and some of the tires are getting old. They are recycled by some dealers however. Sorry to hear about your damage and it will be interesting to see if you got a retread. The price was about what the new ones should go for at a discount tire shop.

RollingHome

Tom, Sorry for your troubles and damage. I was thinking of getting G14's, now I wondering what the answer is. I know now, to ask if I'm getting retreads. Please keep us posted.

Tom of Ypsi

I see you changed the tire yourself. Thought you had Good Sam ERS. Also you said the sensor did not go off, then I presume just the tread area came off and the carcass of the tire remained mounted and inflated. If that is the case then it is a good thing it was not a C -Bomb or it would have 'blown up'. Do u have damage pictures.[/QUOTE]

I do have GS ERS but I figured I could be on the road and to my destination, about 1 hour away, before GS even showed up. The tread came off but the tire/carcass remained inflated. Being the holiday weekend, Memorial, I have to wait until Tuesday to start resolving any issues.

Speaking of Memorial Day PLEASE remember all past and present veterans especially those who gave the ultimate sacrifice so we could be free.

jmgratz

Got any pictures? Sure wish there was some kind of inner fender that would protect the sheet metal in the event of tread coming off.

jmgratz

Had inner fenders on our Alfa Gold and when we had a blowout there was no damage done to the RV. All the loose tire was caught by the inner fender. Hey, Heartland, an idea for you.

slaytop

I saw a trailer a couple of years ago in a rest area that had a G614 failure and the damage caused looked the same as what our members are experiencing. I too have wondered about how a person would add fender liners to prevent the damage. There isn't much room when the tires are under a slide. Maybe they would need to be attached to the slide bottoms and extend in and out with the slides. How were they attached to the Alfa Gold?

jmgratz

If I remember right they were below the slide as there was room in the fender well. Your idea of it being part of the slide sounds plausible to me.