Gray tank flush!

dalspot

I've been reading a lot of threads of late about smells that seem to be originating from the gray tanks. We too have the problem.

I'd love to see Heartland incorporate a tank flush system in their gray tanks also! Particularly the kitchen. While I try to not put much food waste down the sink, I can't help but think that all that kitchen residue sits on top of the water, and once you drain that tank, then all that just sits on the bottom of the tank. We camp without full hookups more often than not. I have started running water after we dump the gray tank, but I don't think it's doing much. Not much water pressure in my kitchen. The Dawn and Calgon help, but are not the solution.

I can see where a flush system might make a world of difference in the odors emanating from the gray tanks.

How about it Heartland? Feasible to do?

Heartlanders? Agree??

danemayer

Hi dalspot,

Just thinking out loud: it would take another flush fitting in the UDC and a longer run to the gray #2 tank. There's also the question of placement of another vacuum breaker valve and how to get it to the right height. Obviously could be done but for me, I'm not sure it would be worth the additional cost and potential problems.

We've been at the same site for 3 months. When we leave, I plan on putting in Dawn detergent, water softener, and bleach along with about 5 gallons of water to let the mixture agitate and clean all the tanks as we travel. Will also probably add some bleach to the fresh tank this trip to get it cleaned.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
I've been reading a lot of threads of late about smells that seem to be originating from the gray tanks. We too have the problem.

I'd love to see Heartland incorporate a tank flush system in their gray tanks also! Particularly the kitchen. While I try to not put much food waste down the sink, I can't help but think that all that kitchen residue sits on top of the water, and once you drain that tank, then all that just sits on the bottom of the tank. We camp without full hookups more often than not. I have started running water after we dump the gray tank, but I don't think it's doing much. Not much water pressure in my kitchen. The Dawn and Calgon help, but are not the solution.

I can see where a flush system might make a world of difference in the odors emanating from the gray tanks.

Heartlanders? Agree??

Agree!!

We have two black tank flush systems in our coach now. One for each black tank. Only one system is located in the UDC compartment. I would love to see one for the gray tank. I might not use it every time, but it would be good to flush out the system thoroughly.

TedS

I don't trust the anti-siphon valve in the black tank flush. I use the Flush King device to flush all tanks from one waste connection outside the rig.
shopping

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
I agree, ALL tanks should have a rinse/flush system installed at the factory! Alas, that costs money and adds weight so the factories only install the minimum.
Our Cyclone (like most) only has flush on the forward black tank. When the rear potty is used we try to limit it to #1 although we do carry an "over the top" rinser to try to keep it as fresh as possible.
I've never understood how the rinser/hose attached to the drain line does anything more than push water into the tank from the drain line. I'm sure I could be missing something though:confused:

jbeletti

I've followed build threads for some who have custom coaches (not Heartland) built and some do ask for gray tank flush systems. Similar to the way Dan is thinking, it adds additional complexity to the coach and additional potential failure points.

Can you imagine 4 vacuum breakers next to each other in a wall (if done by the RV mfr who is building an RVIA sealed coach) and 4 flush ports in the UDC? For some, they cannot only imagine it - they want it. For others, they may just want to keep it simpler.

This all said, I'd heard of people adding their own flush systems "to the tanks". Spray ports exist that can be placed into the side/end of a tank, up high and spun in, then epoxied in place I guess. Could be a DIY project for the person who's handy and is willing to remove a few sections of underbelly. If I was adding one, I would not add the atmospheric vacuum breaker we use. I'd add an inline check valve right behind the UDC.

piet10

Heartlanders? Agree??

We have used this product for the gray tank with good success: http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/elemonate-grey-water-deodorizer-and-tank-cleaner/37792. It freshens the tank and has a pleasant lemon scent.

Al

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
HERE is a short article about installing a DIY gray tank flush system.

After seeing this, I'm planning to put a flush on the kitchen (#2) tank. Trace

TedS

Install one vacuum breaker on the roof outside. That puts it higher than any sink or toilet. If it fails, the water is outside and will not ruin any interior. One port in the udc. A selector valve in the udc to choose which tank gets flushed.

SeattleLion

I don't trust the anti-siphon valve in the black tank flush. I use the Flush King device to flush all tanks from one waste connection outside the rig.
shopping
I have added an anti-siphon valve on the OUTSIDE of the flush connection. It's inexpensive and prevents worry about the one behind the wall.

MTPockets

I would vote for the grey tank flush and I've seen posts regarding grey tank odors; however, three years full time and the only time we ever had odor was when our Big Horn was new. After sealing the gap where the vent pipe goes thru the roof, all odors stopped. I believe if there is an odor, you have a line or vent leak somewhere, or gasses entering like mine thru the roof until it was sealed.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Why do you need separate anti siphon valves/ vacuum breakers for each tank flush? why not just have all tank flushes run at the same time. You could drain all your tanks and then flush them all at the same time from one fitting. I could understand keeping the gray tanks separate but they all go out the same pipes anyway. Actually, I guess on some rigs the rear bath has its own tank so it may need its own set of valves.

SeattleLion

Why do you need separate anti siphon valves/ vacuum breakers for each tank flush? why not just have all tank flushes run at the same time. You could drain all your tanks and then flush them all at the same time from one fitting. I could understand keeping the gray tanks separate but they all go out the same pipes anyway. Actually, I guess on some rigs the rear bath has its own tank so it may need its own set of valves.

The water line you use to feed the tank flush is going to your drinking water city source. You wouldn't want waste water back siphoning to your water supply.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Terry,
I agree with the backdraft from the roof. (Especially the W/D vent in the front closet)
I sealed around all vents and installed Cyclone sewer vent covers. It killed 99% of all smells....... except, when one of the kitchen p-traps goes dry, it can be foul. Then DW starts complaining. I think a periodic, thorough rinsing of that tank would be beneficial. Trace

TXTiger

Install one vacuum breaker on the roof outside. That puts it higher than any sink or toilet. If it fails, the water is outside and will not ruin any interior. One port in the udc. A selector valve in the udc to choose which tank gets flushed.

This is a great idea. Simple