Gray Water Tank Leak?

lynds876

We are full-timers and have had our new5er since June. No issues with the gray tank thus far. We always are on full hookup/city water. We fill the tanks and then dump them once full though. This week we noticed that the gray tank was taking longer to fill than it had in the past. No change in the use of water. So we purposefully filled the gray tank to Full on the gauges and then let them sit. It went down to 2/3. We filled it again in the morning and a couple hours later it was 2/3 full. It never went lower than that. We pulled the drain and nothing was leaking so we don't believe the valve/gate was open in any way. We also looked under the camper at the underbelly and didn't see any abnormal sagging or wetness where the gray tank is. Any thoughts on what's going on or where else we need to check? We left the gray tank valves open so it drains to the sewer instead of going to the tank now so we don't have any issues if it is leaking slowly.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Since you have seen no signs of leakage the only thing I can think of is that the gauges are giving you a false reading.
Those gauges are noted for inaccuracy.
I never even look at mine. We use the water till the kitchen sink does not drain or when we hear gurgling in the shower. That's when I know it's time to drain the tanks.

Peace
Dave

sengli

I would put 1/4" holes in the coroplast (by hand...not a drill) where it sags down. Just see if anything drains out. If your leak is that slow, it may not show otherwise. And yes those analog light gauges are very un-reliable for any accuracy.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I like to use the gauges as just that . . . a 'gauge'!

While I know they are not extremely accurate . . . when they show about 3/4 full . . . I drain them!

That is really all they are good for . . . and I know it!