Has anyone had issues with water leaks in their Heartland Landmark?

Duckman

My wife and I are having our 3rd water leak repaired within the last 9 weeks. I am hoping that this is an isolated event. So far the two previous repairs were unrelated. We purchased our Heartland Landmark last Sept. and I am currently utilizing it with my job for the 2nd time. I do like this RV but and discouraged with the water leaks.

Duckman

jimtoo

Hi Duckman,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

I assume your talking about water leaks in the plumbing? If so, that is almost a common problem with all trailers it seems. Once all the fittings are checked and tightened you will most likely not have any more. Some go forever with no leaks and some have a few, usually not to bad.

Enjoy the forum and your Landmark.

Jim M

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Duckman, as Jimtoo mentioned, leaks are a normal occurrence in any RV. There are a few different types of connections though and it might take a while to notice some of them. The hand tight connections are usually the easiest to fix just by snugging up the connections like the sink fixtures or behind the shower fixture. There are also hose clamps over white hose that can be tougher to stop. And then there are pex connections. If there is a leak at a pex connection, it's usually best to replace the connection but those require a special tool. Another issue in many RV's are the drain fittings under the sinks. Normally snugging them up by hand takes care of them.
I will add though that once you find a leak and fix it, you shouldn't have to do it again. On our Bighorn, there were a few leaks but since they were fixed, I haven't had a leak in over 5 years.

blkdodge

Well we had a 30k Keystone and never had a water leak. Then we puchase a 100k+ San Antonio first trip toilet water supply was loose, tighten thats all good. Third trip I was in curb side basement compartment and water was dripping on my head. Bedroom sink drain was not glued together. All fixed now by me but it should not have even happened.

aatauses

When we first had our BH it seemed like everyday was a new water leak---however over the last 2 years they have been minimal. I agree with what was said, once you fix them you should not have any problems
al

Duckman

We have had 3 major water leaks requiring insulation and underbelly to be replaced as well as a gray water holding tank. So far since March, Landmark Rushmore has been in a repair facility for 44 days and still counting. Hope to have it back tomorrow.

Duckman

ChangingPlaces

We have a BC 2950. We have had several leaks, one in our bed slide which was water coming in from screws that were on an angle. It was an easy fix, redrilled the hole and fitted the screw straight and sealed up. The other leaks were plumbing fittings. I couldn't fix the existing fittings, so I replaced all the fittings and piping with "John Quest" throughout the rig. They are good, you can replace a fitting in minutes, quick release. I am happy with the out come. No leaks great.
Cheers Paul

JasonShrout

2009 cyclone 3950 water leak in bedroom due to bad front cap install. Not sure if the previous owner did this or if it was factory.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
One very small drip from a PEX fitting in the basement. Found and fixed by me before it could even wet the floor. Another from a loose fitting at the lavatory faucet. A little hand tightening was all that was required. Only other leak was from around the kitchen sink flange. Missing clips obtained and installed by me. Never any leaks around the slides or roof seams. This is our fourth summer season.

Timbo

My wife and I are having our 3rd water leak repaired within the last 9 weeks. I am hoping that this is an isolated event. So far the two previous repairs were unrelated. We purchased our Heartland Landmark last Sept. and I am currently utilizing it with my job for the 2nd time. I do like this RV but and discouraged with the water leaks.

Duckman
I wish you luck. We bought a new 2009 landmark cape codand we are still fighting water leaks. All the manufacturer’s hose clamps havehad to be replaced in the basement, The ice maker line blew apart (35 pounds ofpressure) and flooded our kitchen. The black tank was replaced for the secondtime last week because the wall thickness in one of the corners was non-existent and began leaking in the basement. We have now ordered our third hot water checkvalve located on the supply line coming out of the back of the tank. The OEM valve is plastic and easily breakswhich stops all the hot water from flowing to the house. This time I found and ordered a brass checkvalve. One air condition quit and theyreplaced it under warranty. The awningfabric started unraveling even though we never have it out when the wind isover 5 kts. The warranty covered the fabric but not the labor. Roof maintenance has been over 345.00 peryear. The little tiny ice bucket in thefreezer had to be replaced ant dometic charged 80.00 for that little squareplastic box. Don’t be fooled, theLandmark will start costing you tons of money down the road. But it looks nice and is very comfortable tolive in if your income is up there.

My 2012 Landmark Rushmore has had a total of 7 "separate" water leaks, resulting in the basement storage area flooded out 3x and the bedroom carpet saturated 2x. All leaks have been repaired by dealer and pressure tested each time as well as all fittings tightened. But it still manages to spring a leak, and that's when it's not in service for other issues besides leaks. Good luck.

MTPockets

We had a 'bunch' of leaks that we discovered the first night out when the basement flooded. I found a drip and tightened the connection at the water intake manifold. The next night, we still had water, so I crawl under again and find another drip near the first one. This time, I decided to check all the fittings and most were loose. We also had leaks under both sinks and the shower that were a matter of tightening the loose drain pipes.... I think the guy that does the plumbing needs to put a bit more torque when the plubing is installed..... Been out full time now for three months and no more leaks.

P.S... I avoid dealer's - It's a hassle getting there, making arrangements, etc... plus they do most repairs half-a**'d and I can't stand the waiting when I can do it myself. I would for a major problem or one I can't do myself, but would stay close to the work as much as possible.

bunnysue

Own 2011 Landmark San Antonio and have had numerous serious leaks, required new insulation and eventually new underbelly
(poorly installed) Out of warranty now but still having leaks pop up!! Kitchen sink falling out etc, etc

tmcran

Humm, this is interesting. I happen to met a retired RV Tech with 18,yrs experience. I was telling him I have a HL Sundance. His comment "oh,you have an RV from the company that leaks." He said when they sold an HL unit the first thing they did was check for water leaks.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Humm, this is interesting. I happen to met a retired RV Tech with 18,yrs experience. I was telling him I have a HL Sundance. His comment "oh,you have an RV from the company that leaks." He said when they sold an HL unit the first thing they did was check for water leaks.

According to the BH construction booklet, they test them with 100 psi air before final hook up and then several times with water after they're connected. What happens once they're dragged down our well maintained roads and filled with water may be another matter. But, I have not experienced the myriad of leaks that seem to be complained about, even when we first got it. Maybe that's because I take the time to check the plumbing when we set up at our site and during the summer.

If everything in life were perfect, your campsite would probably have pearly gates at the entrance (if you've been a good camper, that is).

BIGHORN constructs the plumbing network with top grade materials and methods similar to residentialhousing. The water lines are capped and tested for leaks using air at 100 P.S.I., before final hookup.The system is then hooked up and re-tested again, using water, assuring the consumer a trouble freeplumbing system. The whole system, including water lines, pipes and tanks, are tested several timesfor defects or leaks.

tmcran

According to the BH construction booklet, they test them with 100 psi air before final hook up and then several times with water after they're connected. What happens once they're dragged down our well maintained roads and filled with water may be another matter. But, I have not experienced the myriad of leaks that seem to be complained about, even when we first got it. Maybe that's because I take the time to check the plumbing when we set up at our site and during the summer.

If everything in life were perfect, your campsite would probably have pearly gates at the entrance (if you've been a good camper, that is).

BIGHORN constructs the plumbing network with top grade materials and methods similar to residentialhousing. The water lines are capped and tested for leaks using air at 100 P.S.I., before final hookup.The system is then hooked up and re-tested again, using water, assuring the consumer a trouble freeplumbing system. The whole system, including water lines, pipes and tanks, are tested several timesfor defects or leaks.

Very interesting that HL does this 100 psi testing and folks still have leaking problems. When we got our Sundance during the PDI 3-4 leaks were found and everyone was related to the fact that the hand tightened connections were about to fall off. After tightened have not had leaks. So I can only conclude that whoever put the connections on were very weak are did a sloppy job. I don't really think it can all be blamed on the owners for not checking or maintaining their units. We had a 1999 Fleetwood Prowler for 7 years. Had one leak from a broken back flow valve in the water heater. Buddy has 2007 Mobil Scout and has never had it to the dealer for any repair at all. Neighbor has 2010 Cameo never had a leak of any type. And yes we all do routine maintenance. Again QC JMO.

MTPockets

Very interesting that HL does this 100 psi testing and folks still have leaking problems. When we got our Sundance during the PDI 3-4 leaks were found and everyone was related to the fact that the hand tightened connections were about to fall off. After tightened have not had leaks. So I can only conclude that whoever put the connections on were very weak are did a sloppy job. I don't really think it can all be blamed on the owners for not checking or maintaining their units. We had a 1999 Fleetwood Prowler for 7 years. Had one leak from a broken back flow valve in the water heater. Buddy has 2007 Mobil Scout and has never had it to the dealer for any repair at all. Neighbor has 2010 Cameo never had a leak of any type. And yes we all do routine maintenance. Again QC JMO.

"Exactly" what I experienced on our 3055RL Big Horn. I guess it's possible they loosened dring the 1200 mile delivery from Elkhart, IN to Florida, but after "I" tightened all the leaking fittings at the manifold and pump, plus drain lines under both sinks and shower that were all loose, We've had no more problems... It's curious that they stay tight when I did it, but not when the factory guy did it.... or, that none were leaking with a 100psi test at the factory. As someone said, it's considered normal and I'll take that at face value.... We're not leaknig now and we're happy.

caissiel

I Always do a test with the 12volt pump.
I disconnect the town water Connection and leave pump on overnight. If it starts then there is a leak or a valve is dripping somewhere.
Did this for my RVs.

Sent from my GT-S5660M using Tapatalk 2

tmcran

I Always do a test with the 12volt pump.
I disconnect the town water Connection and leave pump on overnight. If it starts then there is a leak or a valve is dripping somewhere.
Did this for my RVs.

Sent from my GT-S5660M using Tapatalk 2
. Good idea . That is how I found last RV had leak somewhere. Pump would cycle on and off during night.