Hearts - save a life

porthole

Retired
AED's are everywhere now. CPR is easier then ever (no mouth to mouth required)

http://www.heartrescuenow.com/

Granted every one of our rigs has an AED on board and that helps. In the last 15 years since regularly carrying them there have probably been several hundred saves.
One engine company alone in this calendar year, same crew, has had 3 full blown heart attack victims (full working codes) that were conversing before being carted away in the ambulance.

Look around next time you are in a public gathering place, odds are you will see an AED on the wall.

truknutt

Committed Member
Good reminder Duane. We have them here at work. They're alarmed to notify the EMS on duty when one of the wall cabinets is opened.

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
Doing the Industrial Safety Training gig I am AHA instructor certified as well. The new standards are great. Just before we left I did a recert on a dental clinic. 3 DDS, 2 Hygienist and 6 dental asst/office workers. They were blown away by the changes. When they showed up they were more interested in the AED Training part but realized they didn't know as much about CPR as they thought they did. Of course they got the HCP training which is a little more detailed than BHS.

I think everyone should know CPR. The hard truth about it is that most cardiac episodes happen at home, late evening and morning.

Noobie

AED's are a huge benefit! The quicker someone receives a shock the better chance of survival. My experience on an ambulance shows me that ambulances are not always available, whether on another call or whatnot. And a lot of us camp far from cities and an ambulance can take upwards of an hour to reach you.

I am also provider trained need to recert next year

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
Too bad AEDs are so expensive. That way there would be more out there. First time me or the wife have a issue with the ticker I will get one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Willym

Thanks for the link Duane. It certainly highlights the need for First Responders to take control of the situation. The first policeman on the scene had to work darn hard!

I'm part of the first response team at our winter park in Texas, and touch wood, we haven't had to use our AED yet. We have had a few stroke victims though and I think that the symptoms of a stroke need to be better known by all of us. Time is critical in getting a stroke victim to treatment, and early recognition of the symptoms is key to that.

My other thought is that it is no use having an AED if it is not checked regularly for availability - mainly a battery check.

Here is a great example of early intervention with an AED.

This is not a well choreographed video done by a production company.
What you will see here is real life , down and dirty of how this situation may present itself.

http://blutube.policeone.com/police...-shows-officers-saving-life-with-philips-aed/

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
Problem with that statement is it only takes one to kill you. As "Dr. Oz" says "it's called the widow maker for a reason"

Oh no, It'll be long before that. The reason they are called widow makers is because people either don't recognize the symtoms or they ignore them as something else. If more would pay attention and recognize there would be a higher survival rate.

pegmikef

Thanks, porthole, that is really good info and I sent those links to a lot of relatives and friends I think should know about it.

By the way Rex, I never had any symptoms, just flunked my stress test and they found almost total blockage in one of my arteries . . . I was lucky!

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
Thanks, porthole, that is really good info and I sent those links to a lot of relatives and friends I think should know about it.

By the way Rex, I never had any symptoms, just flunked my stress test and they found almost total blockage in one of my arteries . . . I was lucky!

Yes, very lucky. Most folks never do anything to find out until it's to late. I have a bad family history so I make a point that the VA docs always keep an eye on my cardio health. Plus, I've lost 30 lbs since any Heartland folks have seen me last. I had to get back into my dress blues for a wedding and since it's over I am trying hard not to gain it back.