Help! Deadbolt isn't working!

JEClark

We just bought an elkridge 38rsrt and about 2 hours down the road we stopped and upon trying to get in the door the key for the deadbolt only seems to go in halfway and won't turn to unlock. Anyone ever have this problem?

branson4020

Icantre Member
My BH locks are very tempermental - lots of wiggling and jiggling required. A little silicone spray on the key seems to help.

nscaler2

Bob & Joyce,
I don't know what to say to you about this problem. All I know is that this is an ongoing problem. We have a 2006 Bighorn 3055RL. Within 2 weeks of purchasing this thing, we had to replace the entire mechanism with another because the dead bolt did exactly as you have described. I had trouble with the new one once and was lucky enough to get it to work and release my door once. We have not used it since. We NEVER set the dead bolt from the outside. Seems like they could get this type of thing cleared up over a period of time. However, the industry really doesn't give a rat's A%% about us. My recommendation is that if you can get it to allow you to release your 5vr, don't use it again.

JEClark

As an update, we called the dealer and were told to try wd40. Tried that. I jiggled and wiggled more that a cheerleader at the Super Bowl. To no avail. Thank you very much for the advice Branson. Looks like to me that the front half and back half of the lock are no aligned. Anyway we were then told by the service guy to call a locksmith. So now I'm waiting in a mall parking lot waiting on a locksmith and just wanting to get set up. Look like my first set up with this 5er is gonna be in the dark. Wish me luck!

danemayer

We just bought an elkridge 38rsrt and about 2 hours down the road we stopped and upon trying to get in the door the key for the deadbolt only seems to go in halfway and won't turn to unlock. Anyone ever have this problem?

Hi JEClark,

You didn't mention the age of your RV. There's a recall on Fastec Locks affecting trailers built through part of 2013. Even if yours doesn't fall into the recall, I'd suggest contacting Fastec to discuss your situation. Here's a link to the recall info.

Hi, we just purchased a new 2015 Landmark and after two days on the road towards home my wife locked the deadbolt and we forgot to put something inside and we could not re open the deadlock, key would only go in halfway and not turn. We ended up at an RV dealer in Madison Wisconsin where they were unable to unlock the door, ended up calling AAA and after a 3 hour wait they sent a locksmith out. The locksmith picked the lock(quite easily) and we discovered that if you lock the deadlock and pull the key out halfway it will turn the tumblers and you cannot get the key back in to the lock. This seem like a fault in the lock, I am going in for some service work at hope they will change the locks out.

danemayer

Hi, we just purchased a new 2015 Landmark and after two days on the road towards home my wife locked the deadbolt and we forgot to put something inside and we could not re open the deadlock, key would only go in halfway and not turn. We ended up at an RV dealer in Madison Wisconsin where they were unable to unlock the door, ended up calling AAA and after a 3 hour wait they sent a locksmith out. The locksmith picked the lock(quite easily) and we discovered that if you lock the deadlock and pull the key out halfway it will turn the tumblers and you cannot get the key back in to the lock. This seem like a fault in the lock, I am going in for some service work at hope they will change the locks out.
Sounds like the recall problem has returned. See prior post.

JEClark

Wow Captain Hook! You pretty much described my problem, and repeated what the locksmith said. My model year is a 2015, so I guess it doesn't fall into that recall. Anyway finally set up. These Heartlands are a breeze! Well they are after my last model. A hand crank pop-up. Thanks for all the help and support, and hopefully I can get some pictures when it gets light out!

pegmikef

I had a similar problem with the OEM lock in my BH, called Heartland, and they sent me a whole new lock assembly. Simple install and it seemed to work well, but after my initial experience, I just didn't have a hundred percent trust in it, so I replaced it with Rvlock's V4 keyless entry lock and have not had another problem. It is much more convenient, has a key fob so you don't even have to work the keypad and has a key override in the event your batteries should die. My initial batteries lasted a little over six months and it warns you when they are low. If interested do a search on this forum for "rvlock" and you will find a lot of discussion concerning this lock.

https://www.rvlock.com/product/accessories-1/

SeattleLion

The first thing we did this spring when we took delivery of our Bighorn 3160, was to order and install an RVlocks.com remote control lock. We didn't know that the factory (Lippert?) locks were problematic. We just love the remotes. We have not had a single problem all summer and truly love the remote lock/unlock. Given the problem with the factory locks, it may pay to just replace it with this one.