Help gray tank level lights

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

My gray #2 say full all the time.
If I disconnect the red wire at the tank it goes to empty (1 light) I ran a jumper wire straight from the tank to the meter inside and still gets a full readiong (4 lights) the tank is empty and has been sitting there for a few weeks so the inner sensors have to be dry.
Fyi it has been like this for about 6 months now with no change
So I'm thinking it has to be this little harness at the tank.
Does anyone have a idea of what to try next.

I have everything tore apart right now so I guess it's a good time to upgrade to the Garnet 709-4 SeeLeveL II™ Tank Monitor System

61a7706c9591260df023f99a3d22a57d.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mlpeloquin

Standard for the OEM provided tank level monitors is to work for a few tank fills. A thin film forms on the inside tank surface and well always full. Learned to empty the gray tanks every two days and the black every four maximum. Otherwise every time we pack up to go.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I empty my tanks quite often. I tried the bleach cleaning, I tried the tank sensor cleaning detergent in the tanks, nothing has changed.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
The only time my lights are accurate is when the tanks are empty. Otherwise I empty/flush our tanks based upon days used or travel days not the gauges.
If we're road tripping and moving every few days, I'll likely go several days before I empty the gray tanks and up to 14-15 days on the black tank. If we're going to be stationary for several weeks, the black tank is emptied and flushed every 7 days regardless. The gray tanks coincide with emptying the black tank so I have waste water to flush the hose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mlpeloquin

I empty my tanks quite often. I tried the bleach cleaning, I tried the tank sensor cleaning detergent in the tanks, nothing has changed.

I did get my class C tank monitors to work prior to selling it. I put one quart (liquid) each of home septic tank enzyme treatment that guaranteed to fix clogged septic tanks. Note for large septic tanks. Well 4/5ths full of water and the treatment, one week driving it around several times twelve plus miles, I drained the tanks. The sensors worked! How long I don't know because I sold it.

RoadJunkie

I have everything tore apart right now so I guess it's a good time to upgrade to the Garnet 709-4 SeeLeveL II™ Tank Monitor System

That is what I would do...don't know why Heartland doesn't abandon the current inferior method of tank level gauging and step it up to SeeLevel. One of life's mysteries, I guess. I have long ago given up on relying on the current level indicators and rely on experience to estimate waste levels.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
That is what I would do...don't know why Heartland doesn't abandon the current inferior method of tank level gauging and step it up to SeeLevel. One of life's mysteries, I guess. I have long ago given up on relying on the current level indicators and rely on experience to estimate waste levels.

I'm guessing it is because the tanks probably come from the manufacturer with these monitors already installed.

Mine seems to have worked the way they were supposed to on both of the Heartlands I've had/have.

Must be one of the lucky ones, I guess . . .

danemayer

How many people do you think would make their RV purchase decision based on the brand of tank monitor installed? Would you?

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
I'm guessing it is because the tanks probably come from the manufacturer with these monitors already installed.

Mine seems to have worked the way they were supposed to on both of the Heartlands I've had/have.

Must be one of the lucky ones, I guess . . .
Boy, I'd say you were extremely lucky JohnD. I have never had my tank monitors work after about 3 months of use on all three of the Landmark's I've owned. My current LM365 Newport, the Grey #1 monitor will read empty after dumping (that's the shower and bathroom sink tank). But my Grey #2 (kitchen sink) will show 1/3 full after dumping and my black tank always show full no matter if I dump or not. I've tried tank sensor cleaner (store bought), I've tried home remedies others have recommended, but nothing changes. So, like others who have posted on this thread, I empty regularly and keep track of how long it's been since my last empty. Usually while in Florida for 3 months, I just plan to empty on a certain day each week. That way I don't have to try to depend on the tank monitors. If I'm taking a shower and the drian starts to back up.....I know I have to go empty the tank.:eek::rolleyes::eek:

RoadJunkie

How many people do you think would make their RV purchase decision based on the brand of tank monitor installed? Would you?

Clearly most would not fall on their sword and not purchase a rig because of any trivial, non essential, "feature". On the other hand, why would a manufacturer install an inferior measurement device on their product when there are reliable ones available? Would you?

danemayer

Clearly most would not fall on their sword and not purchase a rig because of any trivial, non essential, "feature". On the other hand, why would a manufacturer install an inferior measurement device on their product when there are reliable ones available? Would you?
Years ago I had a meeting with executives from a large retailer, showing them our new computer products and explaining how it would benefit them. They agreed with everything presented. Then they said they'd have to figure out how many additional pairs of socks they'd have to sell to pay for the better equipment. And of course, what they really meant was they had to think about whether better computer equipment would sell more pairs of socks.

I'll bet that every trailer has a cost target to keep it competitive in the marketplace. And I'll bet that every time Heartland management looks at adding $1 of cost, they ask themselves how many additional trailers will be sold. Because if it doesn't sell more trailers, that $1 just comes off the bottom line profit.

And if you take enough $ off bottom line profit, you join the long list of companies that have gone out of business.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

That would not make my decision but it would be a big plus on my list of wants.
The sea level system is going to cost me $270 then I have to install it.
They should at least make it an option.

billyjoeraybob

South Carolina Chapter Leaders-Retired
Wow Jerrod! I didn't even realize our Ashland's had tank monitors. LOL. Ours have sucked so bad in our other 2 rigs, that I have never even looked for them in the Ashland. I will have to look for them and see if they are as inaccurate as the others we have had. In my experience, over time I have learned when it is time to dump.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Billy we (DW) like to entertain and use nice trays, plates, and real silverware when possible. So lots of dish washing. I do not leave my valves open so that I can gauge how long we can go at that pace before they are full. 2 of our favorite spots have no sewer hookups so it kind of a must for us.
I will be ordering the sea level system soon.

danemayer

Yes. It drives me nuts when these darn things don't work! :eek:

I think LibertyCoach makes some Prevost coaches that have better sensors. I saw 2 this summer. One was new and was a bit under $2 million. The other was about 8 years old and was a steal at $950,000. :rolleyes:

Carleen

So- you are telling me they have introduced technology in the RV world where you take a little flexible circuit board and stick it to the side of the tank that reads more accurately than the probe-like sensors? And they haven't switched all the new RV's to this little superb invention??? That is like using the little Coleman white gas stove in the wind when you have access to propane. Just pointless!

However, those Prevost coaches are nice. My Dad looked at a handful of them when shopping for a diesel pusher so he could steal some ideas to put on his.