Help!!!!!

Jim_Hull

I have a real problem that I hope you guys can help me out with. I am currently locked out of my Big Country 4010! I locked the deadbolt 2 hours ago at a rest stop. Now I am stopped for the night and my key will not go in the cylinder. I cannot get in my rig. Do you have any suggestions? Can I drill the cylinder and get in that way? My key works in the latch lock, but will not go in the deadbolt. I am in an area with locksmith or mobile RV techs.

Garypowell

You have probably tried this but lubricate it and keep jiggling and keep wiggling. Don't really know a lot about locks but they can be tricky if a "pin" gets stuck.

danemayer

I'm wondering if you have a stuck pin that's preventing the key from entering. Might try picking up a spray lube specifically made for key locks.

Miltp920

If you are in an area with a locksmith or mobile tech, get them on the way, so you can put this stressful situation behind you. The advice on lubricating the lock is pretty good. Don't know any other tricks. Can you crawl in a window? They are most likely locked too. Good luck.

Jim_Hull

First, thanks for all of the replies and suggestions. I finally found a mobile service, but when I talked to the tech on the telephone he said he highly doubted that he would be able to do anything with the deadbolt. He said they generally have a lever mechanism, so you can't drill them out. He said the only real possibility was to break out one of the vent on the roof and go through it to get inside. For this, he would charge me $300 plus parts. I would then have to work with Heartland to get it covered under warranty.

Well, as you can imagine, I was interested in finding other solutions. I finally decided to try to remove the screws in the emergency window track to see if I could slide the window. I was able to slide the window until it popped open and allowed my wife to go in the window. However, even after getting to the door, the deadbolt will not open from the inside either. I handed her a screwdriver to remove the door latch from the inside, freeing the lever from the deadbolt and allowing us to open the door. The deadbolt is still frozen, most likely due to a stuck tumbler pin, but the latch works and I can still lock the latch when we are gone.

I will have to contact Heartland to get a new latch assembly, but at least we are back in our rig and will be able to continue on our trip tomorrow.

Thanks again for all of the suggestions and sympathy.

crors7

Had the same thing happen to me last week, luckily it was at home and we have another door and the garage door. Ended up having to take the handle apart from inside and took the lock apart and there was a little bur on one of the pins, a quick touch up with a file and works better than the rest of them. Not something you have to do on a brand new 2017 trailer!

danemayer

I will have to contact Heartland to get a new latch assembly, but at least we are back in our rig and will be able to continue on our trip tomorrow.

Thanks again for all of the suggestions and sympathy.

Have Heartland ship you a new lock assembly (and keys). But you might also want to use this opportunity to look into getting RVLock 4.0. It's a great product and quite a few of us have replaced the OEM lock with RVLock. It's an easy installation, a great product, and they have great customer service.

I think the Heartland Owners Special deal might still be active. If you're interested, you should give them a call to confirm.

GOTTOYS

I had the same problem last Winter with a new lock I installed and only used a few times. My key would not go in. I put it in the slot and hit it a few times with a hammer. Figured I had nothing to lose at that point. key went in and has worked perfectly since. You tell me Clark?? I did squirt a little WD-40 in afterwards.

IronJ

Ya know there was a recall on a ton of those lock mechanisms...same crap happened to me on my old 2012 bumper pull...had to go through pass through under bed to get in...

And Is a big reason I put the rv locks on....but even then if someone/thing locks deadbolt from inside or it jams up , your kinda up poop Creek...

And that mobile lock tech was full of poop too...I only know because same thing happened to a friend of mine next door And with his blessing my drill and a harbor freight screw driver opened it up real darn quick like!!

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish

jimtoo

I am thinking here... so bear with me.. I seem to remember that several years ago the key could be removed from the lock in the wrong position sometimes and then you could not reinsert the key to unlock it.

I am still thinking... but if I remember right... when you lock the door you turn key to left 1/4 turn and then turn key back to up right position to remove key. Then you unlock the door by inserting key and turning to right 1/4 turn and back to upright/straight up and down and remove key.
There were some times when you could lock door and remove the key while in the horizontal position. ( not supposed to be able to remove key in this position) The you could not reinsert the key all the way in..... but if you just inserted key to make contact with the very outside of the lock cylinder and turned it back to up and down position you could then insert key and unlock bolt.

If you have this problem, try it.

Jim M

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Glad you found an easy way in. But the idea of busting out a roof vent and getting inside would require a very anorexic person to do that. I'd bust the door window first, if it came to that. Easier to replace.