Hensley TS3

EPaulikonis

Making the jump up to a Hensley TS3 with in-cab controller installed. Pick it up from the freight dock this afternoon. Guess I know what my weekend project will be while it's raining in Dayton. Figure air hitch + air suspension on the TV is going to = really nice ride with minimal road shock stress on Landmark frame assembly.

My gently used, 1.5 camping seasons to be exact, Pull Rite ISR Pro Series 2100 will be offered up on Craig's List soon. Shoot me a PM if interested and I'll share info prior to mass posting.

porthole

Retired
Making the jump up to a Hensley TS3 with in-cab controller installed. Pick it up from the freight dock this afternoon.

When you get your hitch, I'm curious to know if they finally added some grease points other then the 2 grease fittings on the cross bar.

EPaulikonis

I'll take a look and post when I see the hardware. Current owner's manual only had the two grease fittings you mentioned. Was there talk about adding more or a prominent issue that requires additional grease application?
When you get your hitch, I'm curious to know if they finally added some grease points other then the 2 grease fittings on the cross bar.

OEFVET

Yea without modifying the hitch as Porthole has done by adding many grease points the hitch will wear. Since the manufacturer doesn't offer spare parts it will require the purchase of a new head for approximately $800.

EPaulikonis

Glad I took the time to mention the new TS3. Hadn't ever seen the thread from porthole on all the mods he'd completed; thank you for posting the experience. I also didn't catch the unhappy face in the signature link until OEFVET posted. Good to know what Duane has experienced and I'll definitely take the time to carefully inspect and get a read from some of my more mechanically inclined friends before I start toting my Landmark around on this product.

Any other TS3 owner's out there seeing this type of wear? I'm going to comb the internet for historical problems/concerns, but I know there are plenty of Hensley users participating in the forums. Appreciate both positive and negative feedback.

Jim Posz

I have had the TS3 since 2007 and consider it to be a great investment. I encourage you to cover it when not in use to reduce the rain and dust getting into it. I use aerosol grease to lube the fore -aft pivot and the hitching jaws from time to time. Good luck with yours.
Jim Posz

EPaulikonis

Received the new hitch on Thursday and had time to fully inspect the setup over the weekend. The company has not added any additional grease fittings on the swing arm pivot joint. There are still only two grease fittings on that assembly. I did go through and add more grease to the swing arm and I also hit all 4 of the pivot pins on the head assembly. Understandable they'd sell the full head assembly since most folks don't have the ability to work with the press bolt setup on the pivot pins. I'll be anxiously awaiting the first opportunity to tow with the hitch; trailer is already winterized and stored for the season.

EPaulikonis

Here are post install photos showing all clearances. I later added a 2" lift extension from Hensley to improve hitch saddle height. Bed clearance is now 8.5". No answer on finding a hard top tonneau because kingpin @ 31" barely clears inside of bed rails, so there's no space for tonneau hardware inside of pickup rails.

Attachments

• Bed clearance height.jpg
    Bed clearance height.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 46
  • Hitch height.jpg
    Hitch height.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 46
  • Pin to rail closeup measurements.jpg
    Pin to rail closeup measurements.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 45
  • Pinch closeup.jpg
    Pinch closeup.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 46
  • Pinch Turn Wide.jpg
    Pinch Turn Wide.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 47
  • Pin to rail wide angle.jpg
    Pin to rail wide angle.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 40
  • Bumper to front of camper .jpg
    Bumper to front of camper .jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 39

EPaulikonis

Thanks for the recommendation, but it's not available for a my 2014 Ram 3500. Other problem I have to deal with is the Honda 3000 goes in the bed and it sits higher than the rails, so I need access to the front third when hitched up. I'm keeping my eyes on ATC SXT truck to see if their fully removable system coming in January 2016 will work.

Eric,
You might want to look at the Extang Solid Fold Cover http://www.extang.com/solid-fold-folding-tonneau-covers.html
Vince