Hitch Security

HornedToad

After the tailgate on my F250 was stolen last year,
I'm not taking any chances with my new hitch.
Hitch.jpg
Padlock on the puck lever and a cable to secure the removable plate.

SLJKansas

SLJKansas
How do you have the top plate secured to the base unit with the cable? I've had mine for almost 14 years and have never worried about having the hitch stolen, but mine is also the post through the floor, and tightend dowm, our bases are different. Haven't found a good way to do it (but I haven't looked real hard either). Maybe a padlock where the locking bar pin goes with the cable through the lock. I'll ponder on it a little longer.

HornedToad

How do you have the top plate secured to the base unit with the cable? I've had mine for almost 14 years and have never worried about having the hitch stolen, but mine is also the post through the floor, and tightend dowm, our bases are different. Haven't found a good way to do it (but I haven't looked real hard either). Maybe a padlock where the locking bar pin goes with the cable through the lock. I'll ponder on it a little longer.

The receiver on the B&W hitch comes off the base by just pulling the locking pins and lifting the levers. I guess it's designed to break apart so it's easier to removed the hitch. I ran the cable through the receiver and locked it to the base.

I'm sure it could still be stolen by someone with a hacksaw or bolt cutters, but they are going to have to work at it!!!

priorguy

When I used to work security I was told "Locks are for honest people." The best you can do is deter a thief, if they really want it they'll take it. Good ideas though, if there's two to choose from, it won't be yours that's for sure.

Grey Ghost

Hey that is a pretty good idea, I've never really worried about someone steeling it. It's pretty heavy to just walk off with and it would take some work. I've always been told that a true thief is pretty lazy so I really don't worry about it much. My tailgate has a lock so it is always locked, tool box has a lock but I've soldered some pretty sharpe razor like blades to the under side of the lid, so they will get pretty torn up if they try to lift it out of the truck bed. I've had one stolen before and I said it would not happen again if I could help it.
After the tailgate on my F250 was stolen last year,
I'm not taking any chances with my new hitch.
View attachment 26430
Padlock on the puck lever and a cable to secure the removable plate.