Hiwy 50 over Monarch Pass Colorado

brianlajoie

Has anyone pulled their big fiver over Monarch Pass? It's been a while since I've been over it and not with the trailer. I was over Red Mountain Pass with the trailer two summers ago and cannot imagine anything more challenging. I'm leaving the CO rally and heading to the Las Vegas rally. Also thought of going through Durango, Cortez and up towards Moab or Grand Junction from Colo Springs area. Anyone drive these roads lately?

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Durango/Cortez you get to pull Wolf Creek. Chris

Wolf Creek Pass is much worse . . . probably the worst pull in the state!

We pulled over Monarch Pass four times last summer and twice this spring for the Buena Vista HOC Rally . . .

And doing it again this week!

Should be a piece of cake for your rig.

ProwlerMonarchPass-P1010480.jpg

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We pulled over Hoosier Pass from Breckenridge to FairPlay, and Monarch Pass as well, with our 37-footer in 2014, and didn't think any of that was worse than Red Mountain Pass -- would not tow over that if I could help it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Wolf Creek Pass. John it is confirmed.

http://www.durangoherald.com/articl...89895/AR/0/AR-701089895.jpg&maxw=620&maxh=400

We towed our OSB 29'er over it in the fall of 2007. Exhaust brake got a good work out. Was one of the few that I pulled in second gear with old blue.

Chris

Did you notice the Cyclone in the photo?

I wonder if that was anyone from here . . . :confused:

It seems interesting that Monarch Pass has the most accidents in the winter as it is a breeze drive in the summer.

Oh well . . . don't plan on driving it in the winter . . . but will be this Thursday and next Monday coming home!

dlw930

So how do I get from South Fork to Durango without going across Wolf Creek Pass or going 100 miles out of my way?

danemayer

So how do I get from South Fork to Durango without going across Wolf Creek Pass or going 100 miles out of my way?

Wolf Creek is steep and long and requires some care. Mostly you MUST control your speed going down. Especially on the 8 mile long western descent. I keep speed to around 35.

Most of the issues noted in the linked article had to do with winter weather conditions. In the Summer, I'd say it's not much different from I-70 between C-470 and Silverthorne.

Lynn1130

Wolf Creek Pass, way upon the great Divide, as the words of a song go. Around and around and crashed into the side of a feed store in downtown Pagosa Springs.

It is a B word but slow and careful are the words of the day. I have done it in the Summer and in the middle of a blizzard following a snow plow.

If you have an exhaust brake, plan on using it most of the way down.

mainace

It's no problem. I pulled it this summer. Road is good. Just don't push it. I have a Chevy 3500 and cyclone

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk