Houston, TX to Rochester, NY

myla296

Hi all,

Well...after living full-time in my 2010 Heartland Road Warrior since August, I'm going to up and pull and go to make it live up to it's name. I will drive it to Rochester for a visit, then return. I will be traveling with my adventurous and trusting mother.

So, any input for a first time long distance tower would be great. :) Below is what I know/have:

Overnights: Wal-Mart can probably accommodate in a pinch (but I will definitely seek RV parks, and after living in one...know park services connections stuff and safety)

Tires: TPMS is a must and I have the EezTire T515 (tires will all be set to 70psi)

Truck: I have a Dodge 5.9 2500 with an Airlift system and Bullydog tuner

Thanks in advance for any guidance! (BTW, the image is what I found today in my fortunate cookie that sat around since Tuesday...which I decided to eat when I was re-installing my TPMS :)

13340184_10153807042605674_8772316117118075302_o_zpsiqo9504x.jpg

pegmikef

Tires. What kind of tires? How old are the tires? What is the weight range of the tires vs. the weight of the trailer. At 70 psi, I am guessing you have a pretty light weight rig and the rating is between D (50 psi) and E (80). The tires and bearings would be my biggest concern before starting a 3,000 mile round trip journey. When was the last time the bearings were packed?

myla296

Hi, thanks! Here I go..

What kind of tires? Goodyear Marathon
How old are the tires? 1 year
What is the weight range of the tires vs. the weight of the trailer. They're E rated so...I hope that's enough of an answer since the only weight I've paid attention to is the payload that results on the bed of the track at the coupler.
At 70 psi, I am guessing you have a pretty light weight rig and the rating is between D (50 psi) and E (80). It says max PSI cold is 80...I got the 70 from my boyfriend with his RV. With it being lower, that does run the risk of it getting hotter, right? Definitely open to suggestions about this.
The tires and bearings would be my biggest concern before starting a 3,000 mile round trip journey. When was the last time the bearings were packed? 1 year ago, and only used for 150 miles on that job. So, a squirt of grease wouldn't be a bad thing but, no need to repack the whole thing (I don't think) [/QUOTE]

pegmikef

Tires and bearings sound fine. Unless you know the exact weight that will be on the tires I suggest you use the PSI specified on the tire sidewalls. They are telling you that for the maximum weight bearing capacity of the tires they must be at the recommended PSI. Under inflation leads to over heating! Aside from the PSI thing everything sounds fine. If there is only 150 miles on the wheels since repacking I wouldn't bother with the grease. They should be fine. Have a safe trip. (I lived in Rochester for a couple of years before I entered the army).

myla296

Guess I should mention, we made it! :) Well, had lots of guardian angles looking out for me.
1. Only had to reverse once with the RV but at least it was a huge area to do it in
2. A bridge that lets you go under on one side, does not mean it will let you for the other lane when you're leaving (camber and new patch got me, and the cover for my AC but only that!)

Overall good trip and learned a lot...thanks for everyone's help!