Houston, TX to Rock Island, TN and back - July 2018

PondSkum

Ok fellow owners. We are planning a trip from Houston, TX up to Rock Island State Park, in TN this summer. It's not a super long travel time, but I'm planning on splitting the drive there and back somewhat in half. We have friends in MS that we plan to try to visit along the way TO TN, so I found a nice little state park in Hattiesburg, MS that we plan to stay at for an evening. Then head up to TN the next morning. Then spending 4 nights at Rock Island State Park. And then on the way home, take a route westward through Arkansas and I found a state park near Hot Springs to possibly stay in for the evening. Then continue southwest back to Houston the next morning. So does anyone have any experiences with any of these parks, or recommendations on nice places to stay or visit along those routes? We have 2 boys, ages 2.5 and 7, that love outdoors. So hiking, fishing, and other outdoors stuff like that is what we are looking for. Here's my plan as of right now, but still have time to change it up a little before go time.

July 14 - Depart Houston - I-10 Eastbound to MS
Destination: Paul B. Johnson State Park, Hattiesburg, MS (1 night)
July 15 - Depart Hattiesburg - I-59 Northbound to TN
Destination: Rock Island State Park, Rock Island, TN (4 nights)
July 19 - Depart Rock Island - I-40 Westbound to AR
Destination: Lake Catherine State Park, Hot Springs, AR (1 night)
July 20 - Depart Hot Springs - I-30 West/Southbound to TX
Destination: Home