How can I tell if my fresh water tank is drained????

NHCelt

Not our first rv, but our first time winterizing the Bighorn. Two questions...

1. How can I tell if my fresh water tank is drained. All of my previous units had fresh water drains and low point drains.

2. When winterizing, is there a way to adapt the sprayer wand hose to add antifreeze through the black tank flush?

Thanks!!!!!
Celt

sengli

My big horn has a blue colored pex line, with a brass valve on it... exiting the bottom of the coach, which is my fresh water drain. When it stops draining its as empty as it can be. I use compressed air to blow out my black tank flush line. It usually takes about three gallons of RV antifreeze to do my coach.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I use the air compressor method to clear the lines and only put anti freeze in the p-traps, pump a little through the water pump, and pour some down the toilet for the black tank and leave some in the toilet bowl.

Total antifreeze use is less than half a gallon . . . probably more like a third of a gallon.

I opened all of my low point drains two weeks ago (and they are still open) when we got back from the Vegas Rally and last week blew out the lines and got no water coming out.

I'm going to do the official winterizing probably next week . . .

NHCelt

I spoke to Heartland about the low point drain...and got a not so sure answer that they think they have been deleted....lots of help. So...anybody with a 2016 Bighorn want to chime in....do we have a low point drain and if not, then how do you it is empty???????

danemayer

I spoke to Heartland about the low point drain...and got a not so sure answer that they think they have been deleted....lots of help. So...anybody with a 2016 Bighorn want to chime in....do we have a low point drain and if not, then how do you it is empty???????

On Bighorn, Big Country and Landmark/Landmark 365, the low point drains were eliminated a number of years ago. Our 2011 doesn't have them. In cold weather, the water above the valve, but below the coroplast, will freeze and the ice will wick up into the tee, blocking flow of water.

You should have a fresh tank drain and if you have a washing machine, there should be an overflow pan drain.

'Lil Guy'

On our 2016 3270 BH there is a blue fresh water drain hose and valve near the axel. We ordered this unit October of 2015.

NHCelt

Thanks everyone. There is a valve in the rear behind the axle.

Can I assume that when the valve is in line with the hose that the valve is set to drain?

I know it's stupid, but I never use the tank and have never had water in it. Too many other problems at the time and you know how that goes!