How did you choose Heartland?

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
We had a Tahoe fifth wheel that we maintained while we were "getting the kids out of the house". It was our second fiver. I decided I wanted a topper on my pick up so it had to go. I originally went down to look at View Finder. My prerequisites were, I wanted fiberglass sides, had to be a TT, and had to be about 26 ft because we wanted to fit in our favorite (primitive) camping spots. The wife just wanted to pick the interior color. We liked the View finder, did not like the Fun finder they showed us, the Forest River was ok, but when we saw the HL NT we bought the wife and I both looked at each other and smiled. Everything from the graphics to the layout is perfect for us. The outside party center doesn't hurt either! :)

Snow

like speedy ,spent about a year researching 5ers and heartland was the one that fit our needs and had the best price ,I know I have bashed heartlands QC department a few times ,I am sorry I should apologize I don't mean nothing by it ,for the new people that are reading this or looking into buying a heartland rv they are a great rv just make sure you get a good dealer you can count on , I do love my big country a caint wait to go camping next month to show it off again ,heartland please accept my apology and keep up the good work ,thanks ⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️

jo9463

My DH got tired of sleeping on the ground when we camped. He wanted to buy a travel trailer. Before buying, we rented one for a weekend. We really enjoyed it. I was concerned that if we bought, we wouldn't use it very often. Being first timers, we really didn't know what we were looking for and had no idea what we wanted, but we bought a 28' SOB TT. Even when we were signing the papers, I still "complained" that we wouldn't use it very often. We bought this in June 2005. Hurricane Rita came for a visit 4 months later. After evacuating with the trailer and living in trailer for a week after the storm, you will NEVER hear me complain about having a TT. Of course, after having 6 adults and 1 dog staying in the TT for Rita, I was ready to upgrade.

We discovered Heartland about a year later and I fell in love with the Bighorn 3670. When we could afford to upgrade, that was going to be the trailer for me. Fast forward to 2010, I saw and fell in love with the Big Horn 3585. We decided to sell our house in 2012 because it was too big for us. We lived in our TT for over year. It was time to do something. I needed a bigger kitchen!! At that time, budget didn't allow us to buy the Big Horn, but the Big Country 3450TS was the same floor I wanted. We ordered our trailer in April 2013 in Elkhart. We drove up at the end of May and picked it up. We had some minor issues when we picked it up. With help from Jay Coffman and Bryan W (from Heartland), these issues were taken care of. We still live in it and I have no regrets with purchasing my Big Country.

MCTalley

Great stories and a great idea for a thread.

In 2010, Val and I decided we would love to try to full-time if we could. I knew that in late 2012 I had an option from work that would give us a fair amount of money to both put back for retirement and that we could purchase a trailer with. We were also on track to be debt free (including the house) at that point in time. We started looking through RVs everywhere we went. We walked through several brands, lots of floorplans and visited dozens of dealers in the process.

One day while traveling home from Birmingham, we stopped by the Camping World in Calera and walked through several Big Country units. When we walked into the 3690SL, we immediately fell in love. I really like having some type of demarcation between living and dining areas and our raised rear kitchen fit the bill perfectly. That was probably in early 2011. We continued looking at units knowing that our target purchase date was around November 2012. We never fell in love with another floorplan as much as the 3690.

We also started looking at things such as quality of components and build, as well as the important full-time capabilities and warranty. That really narrowed down the scope tremendously, but of course left the 3690SL high on our list. As you can see by my signature line, we ended up in a 3690SL and we still love it as much as the day we purchased it. Only lesson learned from this one is that we will probably take our time and order our next unit the way we want it. Still, we've been able to add on the options we didn't get in the original deal by having the level-up put on during the rally last summer as well as swapping out the microwave for a convection microwave from Home Depot.

Back in January, we helped out at the Tampa RV show and took a lot of time to walk around the rigs from many different manufacturers and honestly didn't see much of anything that impressed us as much or more than the Heartland products. There were maybe two fifth wheels in the whole place that we might have seen ourselves in that were not Heartlands. But, the community here and the excellent support we've gotten from the factory would keep us with Heartland products.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
My wife chose it with help from my evil older sister and the slick-tongued saleswoman that sold us the SOB TT we had. We were at the local RV show, just looking around. I got separated from them and when I went into a 3670 that was on display, I got bushwhacked by the three of them. There was no escaping the deadly aim of their harpoons as they penetrated my tender buttocks, thus impaling my wallet.

OK, that's BS, soon as I walked in and looked it over, I put the hook in my lip by myself. We made a deal and signed the agreement at the show. And I don't regret doing it one bit. That was in the fall of 2008.

sengli

We looked at quite e few RV's to begin with. The heartland products just looked like they were equipped with nicer equipment. They had fiberglass shower stall verses the plastic. Had stainless steel sinks, instead of plastic. Floor plans aside, the materials and finish in most cases just looked better. Better R values, and the prices were competitive.

Last edited:

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
Mines pretty simple. My dad has been a salesman at Camping World in Katy, Tx. The only toy haulers they sell is Cyclone and Voltage. Him and everybody else voiced their opinion and said stay away from Voltage. So I bought a Cyclone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 3 HD

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
We owned a Wildcat 5th wheel and I was doing a little research for a possible future purchase. I came across the Heartland website and liked the 3055RL. Did the dealer locator and went to Crossroads that afternoon. Did a trailer to trailer comparison of Cedar Creek and Bighorn which the salesman had parked right next to each other for me. In and out, in and out! There was no comparison and the rest is history. Honey, just sign here baby!

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I heard about Heartland from a salesman before they produced a single unit. I found them on the Internet and began calling, asking questions. The first person that I talked to was Scott Tuttle, one of the original founders. He answered every question, and I was so impressed with talking to one of the owners of the company, I made up my mind to buy one. My truck wouldn't handle a Landmark, and that was all they made for the first year or so, but when they came out with the Bighorn and I found a dealer in Houston that sold them, I bought a 2007 3055RL. Then Jim Beletti reeled me in as the Chapter Leader for south Texas and he hasn't been able to run me off since then. I retired in 2008 and found a close out on a larger Bighorn 3370RL for us to begin our adventures in, and then found another close out on the Grand Canyon that we now have.

jbeletti

...Then Jim Beletti reeled me in as the Chapter Leader for south Texas and he hasn't been able to run me off since then...

I know a dedicated hard working person that will work for free when I see one :) Seriously though, Jay was one of the first members of this forum and has been a great leader and friend. Thanks Jay and Stella!

jimtoo

OK.. I'll share my story now. Way back in 05 we had a SOB...It was actually falling apart and only a year old. The construction was just not good. So.. we went to look around,,, shopped several dealers here in South Texas from Austin to Corpus Christi. Was looking at a Heartland unit in San Antonio,, we really liked it. Was walking back to office with salesman and saw a Carriage unit and ask to look at it. Salesman turned and looked at me and said, "You don't need to see that one... You can't afford it." Up until that time no price had been ask or suggested. That salesman no longer worked for that company about 1 hour later.

Any way.. we went to another dealer, looking at Heartland units again. In January of 06 found an 06 3055RL... one of the first built. Liked it,, got a good price.. bought it. During the 1st year we had some problems, both construction and what we were told. But it was built in 05 and brochures were made for later model I guess. We were not happy campers, but with good communications and personal visits with dealer, and Heartland management, we worked out a trade. We went to Elkhart in Dec of 06 and picked up our 08 3055RL. Dealer serviced it,, did the PDI,,, was happy camper for several years. Heartland was great to work with and I don't think I would ever go to another manufacturer. The quality is there, the management is great.

We had always looked and wanted a 3670RL, but when we did the trade, it was not in our ability to afford the difference at that time. This past year, 2013, we went to our favorite dealer to meet our daughter and son-in-law to look at North Trails with them, and make sure they got a good deal. Well,,,, when we parked and got out of the car,,,, there just happened to be a Heartland 3670RL setting right there. It was a used unit, 09 model, but was in really good condition. Some of the furniture was not to good, I think due to who ever had it being really overweight. So after a little negotiation we worked out a deal. I was able to talk to original owners was happy with what they said, got all the invoices from previous services. Dealer changed out all our furniture, so we had our own bed and chairs, stove and micro, because we knew they all worked good and were happy with the appliances and chairs.

Oh,,, our Daughter and SIL did buy a North Trail also.

The Heartland quality is really good and the Heartland management is above good,,, they are great.

Oh.. I joined the forum in Jan. of 06,,, don't remember when, but at sometime..07-08, Jim Beletti said "Would you like a job here?" ....And I thought he said "Would you like a good beer?",,, So,, naturally I raised my hand....I now wear a hearing aid. But it has been fun and continues to be a never ending endeavor.

Heartland Owners are like family,,, they are the best.

Jim M

jbeletti

...Oh.. I joined the forum in Jan. of 06,,, don't remember when, but at sometime..07-08, Jim Beletti said "Would you like a job here?" ....And I thought he said "Would you like a good beer?",,, So,, naturally I raised my hand....I now wear a hearing aid....

Good one Jimmie - love ya pal!

Miltp920

My wife and I camped as kids, she in TT, me in army tent. Our first camper was a Jayco pop-up, nice but too much work to set up. We camped with some friends who just bought an older TT. They pulled in, opened the door and stared camping. We finished setting up about an hour later. We started to dream about our first TT. turns out we skipped the TT and bought our first 5er before we even had a truck that could pull it. We became seasonals at a local campground in our Keystone Montana. We really liked the quality of the Montana, but we realized that our first one was too small. Our camp neighbors bought new 38 ft Montana and I fell in love. So, we traded up to a 38 foot Montana. I thought we would always own a Keystone Montana for the quality. We decided to go "on the road" camping and my bride wanted to downsize, so we were not pulling something as BIG as a house, so we bought SOB 32 footer. The Crusader just did not measure up to the quality we were used to. We have a custom golf cart that our Yorkie enjoys riding around on. When I tried to sell the cart, because were not seasonal anymore, my wife was heart broken. She loved that cart, that she picked out off the showroom floor, and so I told her we had an option with a toy hauler, but I would need a new truck. She researched websites, and the ONLY brand she could find that had the richer quality that we were looking for was the Cyclone. We worked out a really fair deal on one 3 hours away over the web/phone. we were setting in the Cyclone we thought we were going to buy, as we agreed upon before we drove 3 hours North. The owner, "who could not be undersold", came in and announced to us and the salesman, that he had just sold the unit we were setting in to someone else on the internet. IF we ordered one from him we would NOT be able to get the same deal. We drove home disapointed. We went on line to find another dealer, and we found Pete's RV an hour or so south of us in Indiana. They beat the Michigan dealer "who could not be undersold" by thousands. We had to wait 3 months for ours to be built, that was a hassle. We toured the Elkhart factory, and found it to be a very positive experience. We took possession of our 2014 Cyclone in the fall of 2013. We camped in it several times. The Yorkie loves the garage that carrys his golf cart. 10 foot garage has just inches to spare due to overhead bunk. We are very impressed with the richness and quality of our Heartland Cyclone. It is every bit as good or better than we have had in SOB. Im nervous about the blowmax tires. I hope I am safe since I should not exceed 14,000 pounds with only the gold cart as frieght in garage. The double bunks in the garage are GREAT extra housing for grandkids and other guests. My wife has claimed garage as her girlcave. I get the couch and the remote control to the HD TV. The bathroom is one of the largest we have ever seen, and we upgraded to the bowl sink from the HD package, very nice. You can actually walk around in the bedroom, unlike our shorter Crusader. We bought the 3100 because it was what my new (used) Duramax 2500 could pull legally. I am already dreaming of our 4100 and a dually 3500 to pull it when we go full timing in retirement. Until we find a toyhauler with better quality we are stuck on Heartland. This forum is great. I have learned alot from this group. We look forward to attending a rally in near future.

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
Miltp,
I had my first Towmax blowout with a empty trailer and just 1000 miles on it. Less then 6 months old.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 3 HD

priorguy

We hit a great deal on a used FunFinder 24' bunkhouse (still Thor) with no slide and found it very small after a year of full weekending. After looking around at several brands and dealers. We were down to a Salem, Trail Runner and our North Trail. The NT was nicer and appointed like a luxury 5er and I couldn't pry DW away from it. The dealer had 3 new and one used. They made us a great deal and we got what we paid for the FunFinder and a bunch if accessories thrown in. That was Mother's Day last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I've loved camping since I was a Boy Scout. I was a Scout Leader while in the Navy and once I got married we even used the Navy Exchange for rental units.
In late 2004 we bought our 1st 5th wheel, a Jayco 27 footer. Before the 5th wheel we had many different towables and even a new Class C back in 1995. About a year after we bought the Jayco, we saw a Bighorn on our dealers lot. Just for kicks, we took a look. We were hooked. We discussed our options and decided to sell the house, retire and hit the road in a Bighorn. We ordered our 3400RL in April of 2006 and took delivery on July 27th. It just happened to be my birthday. We closed on the sale of our house at the end of August and we hit the road.

How did we choose Heartland? For the money, it seemed like the best and nicest rig available. We still own the same unit and are still pleased with it's performance. I will say I've made several improvements and changes. It's been back to the dealer once for minor repairs and once in TX for a new cooling unit for the reefer. The Heartland Factory had it for a few days for a frame flex issue. All other needed maintenance has been done by me.

Even though we're selling the trailer, it's not from disappointment, but from a desire to change our lifestyle.

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
Ok - I will chime in with my Camping history and my arrival with Heartland. I started out in a tent with my Wife when we were first dating and early in our marriage and continued to tent camp after the kids arrived. we would do weekend trips and for 8-10 years we would spend 4 weeks tenting on Cap Cod for the month of Aug. It was a Fall from my horse that stopped the tenting and we tried a number of modified tenting weekend trips - all complete failures. in 1999 we decided that a camper trailer would provide the solution and we purchased a 24 ft wilderness trailer ( when it was fleetwood ) and used that for years - never upgrading just maintaining. we discussed plans to retire and travel in a larger trailer and I spend lots of time dreaming of when we could do that ...

When My wife passed away in 2009, I continued to camp solo in the old TT but after 2 years of snow-bird camping I decided that I needed to replace the old 24J with something that was sightly bigger. I did a lot of research, went to many RV shows and met many other owners while camping - but I kept comparing everything to the Heartland, I was very impressed with the Bighorn fit and finish and had decided that the one I wanted was the 3670RE - so I stated to shop, and nearly purchased one from a central Florida dealer but they were off by a few thousand from where I was and we parted with out a deal. in the spring of 2011, totally on a whim I purchased a used Gold Wing 1800 sight unseen and flew to Arizona to pick it up and ride it home. On the ride home - I had the realization that I was going to have to find a way to take this with me camping. so when I got home I started to look at how that would work - decided that a toy hauler was the new floor plan - and very quickly decided on the 3010 ( mainly because that is what my 2500 would haul ) in June I found one in Columbus, one year old - and a great price - so I bought it, and had a 5th wheel hitch installed in the truck and headed out to pick it up. I joined the Club when I got home. The rest they say is history. I am still very impressed with the fit and finish of the Heartland brand and if I ever give up the Motorcycle I think I would upgrade to the Bighorn ... but I'm not ready to give up two wheels just yet.