How to open battery to add fluid?

I have a 2013 Landmark Key Largo with just the original factory battery and I think that the fluid level is low. My problem is I can't seem to open the hinged flap on the battery to add water. I hate to pry too hard, does anyone know how to open the flap/lid?

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I have a 2013 Landmark Key Largo with just the original factory battery and I think that the fluid level is low. My problem is I can't seem to open the hinged flap on the battery to add water. I hate to pry too hard, does anyone know how to open the flap/lid?

I just take my knife and pry up on the edge of the cover and it pops right off. It does fit tight.

I tried a screwdriver and heard some plastic crack, hate to do something I shouldn't. The battery doesn't have any labels on it to indicate the manufacturer so I can't look it up on line.

There is a little hole in each side of the lid but not sure what they are for, I stuck a little rod in one of the holes but wouldn't go in very far. I am fairly certain that it isn't a sealed battery and lid seems to be hinged but I just haven't been able to open it???

danemayer

The dealer probably selected the battery. Give them a call to see if they know what brand it is and whether there's any special technique to open it.

porthole

Retired
Post a decent picture of the top of the battery and you'll get plenty of ideas.

But, screwdriver, butter knife, crows foot etc. The cracking you heard was most likely just the plastic starting to move, friction is all that holds it on.