HW heater anode rod

wyleyrabbit

We're on our maiden voyage but ran into a glitch. Turns out I didn't bring a large enough socket for the anode rod, so I need to go buy one. Anyone know what size socket the anode rod is?

Also the threads are horribly rusted...is this normal?

Chris

wyleyrabbit

Jim,

Thanks for the quick reply. So 1 1/8" socket, gotcha. What is a "breaker bar"? Is that an extension bar of some sort?

Thanks,
Chris

jbeletti

Chris,

My bad - it's 1-1/16" and yes, extension, not breaker bar - what was I thinking? Although a break bar is not a bad idea either :)

wyleyrabbit

Jim,

And it's normal for this thing to be this rusty? It's theoretically brand new, because it came with our new trailer. But I'm serious...it looks like it was recovered from the Titanic!

Chris

skyguy

When ever you go to remove the anode rod, here is a tip you should put somewhere, to always remember!!!

Always be sure you have relieved the water pressure in your system, by turning on a faucet FIRST!!

Uh, I learned this the hard way.... As I was loosening the anode rod, it suddenly shot past me, and I was immediate drenched with several gallons of (Thank goodness) warm water!!! Fortunately no one was hurt, no one was around to witness this, and I laughed my a** off at the whole incident!

And now I always remember to check the water pressure first!

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Electric heating element

Anyone know, offhand, where to get a replacement heating element for the HWH in a 3055RL?

Is this a special replacment or can I just get a "Hot Rod"?

Tried to look this morning...and the ground is too soggy for me and my chair...I know, I'm a lazy SOB...but, unless one of you guys wants to winch me and my wheelchair, out of the mud, I'm currently banned from the outside of the trailer.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Lefty, I have not had to replace one yet but I would pull the old one first and take it to a home center or hardware store. I would think the watts need to be the same and of course the size (length & threads). Probably a lot cheaper than going to an rv store.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Lefty, I have not had to replace one yet but I would pull the old one first and take it to a home center or hardware store. I would think the watts need to be the same and of course the size (length & threads). Probably a lot cheaper than going to an rv store.

After buying and paying primo for a "hot rod" on my old airstream...a couple of days later found a replacement rod for an electric hot water heater...that was a dead ringer for the one I bought from RV World.

And about $120. cheaper:eek: Figures. Next time I get to a lowes or Home Depot, I'll give her a shot.

Thanks Ray.

wyleyrabbit

What? RV products are more expensive than non-RV products? :rolleyes:

It would be great if there was a list of equivalent "residential" products that work in place of the ridiculously expensive RV products.

boatdoc

Anyone know, offhand, where to get a replacement heating element for the HWH in a 3055RL?

Is this a special replacment or can I just get a "Hot Rod"?

Tried to look this morning...and the ground is too soggy for me and my chair...I know, I'm a lazy SOB...but, unless one of you guys wants to winch me and my wheelchair, out of the mud, I'm currently banned from the outside of the trailer.

Lefty, I replaced the element in a freinds W/H down at Blythe last month and we got it at an Ace Hardware store. We checked at the RV store on the way and for the same thing Ace was 16.00 cheaper. :eek:

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Lefty, I replaced the element in a freinds W/H down at Blythe last month and we got it at an Ace Hardware store. We checked at the RV store on the way and for the same thing Ace was 16.00 cheaper. :eek:

I'd like to see it...the ones I found at ACE were like $15-$20 bucks.

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
Ok mechanical guys,
Does anyone know what water heater system my 2009 Bighorn 3400RE is? And how and where do I check if I need to replace the anode rod, and the heating element? I am guessing its in the water heater, but what am I looking for? Any pics on the forum so I can check it out before the big summer 43 day trip. DW just hates cold water showers, especially with the new Oxygenesis shower head. Yow!

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Ok mechanical guys,
Does anyone know what water heater system my 2009 Bighorn 3400RE is? And how and where do I check if I need to replace the anode rod, and the heating element? I am guessing its in the water heater, but what am I looking for? Any pics on the forum so I can check it out before the big summer 43 day trip. DW just hates cold water showers, especially with the new Oxygenesis shower head. Yow!

You anywhere around your unit? I thought you were fulltiming.

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
Sorry lefty, I live in San Clemente, CA but as u know we go to alot of rallies, and take summer and weekend or actually week trips. Right now my rig is at the tow yard, just waiting to go out again 3 exits from my home to San Clemente State Park with full hookups. About 250 yards from the beach in socal. Sweet! Dtvista (Dave and Kathy) just spent 4 days with us there. Awesome. Anyone living within a few hundred miles should give us a shout and cmon down.
I just wanted to check out this stuff before I go on our summer excursion. I don't want anymore hangups then I already have. Better safe then sorry.

superduty08

Tennessee Chapter Leaders
I just got back from our first trip this year and while camping found that I only had luke warm water (and not much) while using the electric portion of the water heater. I had both electric switches on and will check the element tomorrow. My rig was a year old in Jan. and I used it a lot during the winter while hunting. My big problem is that I could not get the gas portion to work. I can't remember the last time that I used the gas as I have been using the electric to save propane. I had my wife turn the switch on and off while I monitored the heater outside. I never heard the igniter click and I never smelled propane. Does any one know how to check this?