Ice Maker not working correctly on Dometic Refrig

Toterhome

OK,

So I have reconnected the water line on the ice maker that was done by the previous owner. The water just keeps coming into the tray. I assume it is the solenoid then? Where is that located? Model is RM1350IMBSX on Frig!

HELP!!!

danemayer

Toterhome,

The solenoid on the RM1350 is on the back of the frig. Go outside and remove the lower louver panel and the solenoid will be right in the middle.

If you also have a water dispenser, the solenoid is a dual unit with the ice maker coil operated on 110V and the water dispenser on 12V. Careful not to get the wires swapped.

I've attached a picture of my solenoid and the wiring diagram. On the wiring diagram, the solenoid is at the bottom left.

Attachments

• icemakersolenoidwithcomments.jpg
    icemakersolenoidwithcomments.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 41
  • RM1350 Wiring Diagram.pdf
    296.1 KB · Views: 7

Toterhome

No water dispenser on this unit. Where do I get the new solenoid? Am I correct that the ice maker will only work if supplied with 120volt power?

danemayer

The ice maker needs 120V AC. You probably have an outlet at the back of the fridge. The main power cord for the fridge uses one socket and the ice maker power cord uses the other.

Best bet for the solenoid is probably to contact Dometic directly. Phone # is 800-544-4881.

wdk450

You know, I kept having problems with the icemaker line leaking in the part that flexes when the slide goes in and out. I also was dismayed with how long it took to make a tray of ice, not being able to make ice while moving due to the icemaker needing 120 VAC, and loss of freezer space for the ice bucket. I finally removed the ice bucket, turned off the water supply valve, and bought an Igloo tabletop instant icemaker. This icemaker makes the round hollow "cubes" at a rate of about 12 every 12 minutes. It uses a water reseviour you fill. I turn mine on in hot weather as soon as I have AC power connected, and have ice for a cold drink by the time I am done with all of the setup chores.

http://www.amazon.com/IGLOO-lb-Freestanding-Maker-Silver/dp/B00BJPXXEA

Toterhome

Frustration has set in. I bought a new solenoid from the local RV dealer. He ordered it for me based on my model fridg The problem is the previous owner removed original so not sure just how it should be connected. Not sure of wiring of two plug in wires and what's the inlet/outlet of water. Pipe to ice maker is copper but has a rubber coating. Do I use a ferrel over that is there something missing. I placed an insert and brass ferrel on the plastic I let tubing but as I said I don't know how the whole thing mounts. I assume it should mounted to the wall somehow but don't see how that's possible either. HELP

danemayer

Sounds like the previous owner also removed the mounting bracket.

I've attached a couple of pages on winterizing that show the solenoid and water connections. The drawing at the bottom of page 22 is probably what you have.

Attachments

• Dometic RM1350 winterizing.pdf
    881.9 KB · Views: 16

Toterhome

Well here is the update. I finally got the right solenoid and correctly installed it. I checked its operation and AOK. Problem now is that I find the line to the ice maker is clogged. I threaded a stiff piece of blasting cap wire through it about three feet but that all the further I could push the wire. I thought about using compressed air. Is that safe to do or is there another option. Shouldn't the line be completely open to the tray, or is there some other shut off or valve in play? Close but no cigar just yet. I have five hours chasing this disaster LOL.

danemayer

The feed line enters the freezer on the right-hand side. There's a spout that guides the water into the tray. You may be able to push the wire from the freezer end.

Compressed air shouldn't be a problem. I've used it many times to evacuate the water to winterize the ice maker. I usually do that from the city water connection, with feed line valve open, using a cheater cord to activate the solenoid. But there's no reason you couldn't get a fitting and push the air from the line that connects to the solenoid output.

Toterhome

Well I guess this one has beat me. Well at least for now. I have used the air compressor, wire, and physically blown into the outlet copper line from the water valve to the ice tray with NO success. I called Dometic and they didn't have an answer. A local repair shop said I have done everything they would have done. NOW WHAT DO I DO!!! I have search online and found that it needs to be cold before making ice. I just don't understand why the line isn't open? It seems it should be as no other valves exist between the water valve outlet and the ice cube tray. Frustrated doesn't begin to explain my feelings. LOL. I think the only thing left would be to pull the fridge out and look at the plumbing to the ice maker?

danemayer

The only possibilities I can think of is 1) someone did something to kink or otherwise block the line, or 2) you have the wrong line - which seems unlikely. But sometimes another set of eyes can help.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
When we first got our big refrigerator with the ice maker it did not work.
What I found was when the 1/4 in. poly tubing was run there must have been a loop in it and then pulled tight.
Pulling the loop created a kink and therefore no water flow.
My cure was to pull the old (actually new) water line out and fish a new on in place.
I suspect you may have a similar problem.
Oh, my water line was in the wall of a slide.

Peace
Dave