Ice Storm Power Outages

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Anybody here get affected by the power outages from the storm? Here in Michigan, there were something like 260,000 affected, including me. Happiness is an automatic 16K natural gas standby generator. Power went out in my neighborhood around 0500 on Sunday and was restored last night about 1800. Some areas won't have power back until the weekend.

The generator was a pricey investment, but it served it's intended purpose. When the power went out, I was called in to the FD and spent most of the day responding to downed lines, alarms, and other emergencies. I think we hit almost 100 calls in a 24 hour period.

ILH

I live about an hour east of Toronto. They got hit bad! My area still has areas that are out - not expected to be back until the weekend! We lost power Saturday night at 10:30 and didn't get it back until Sunday at 9:30pm. Fortunately I had my 3500W generator from my RV to power my fridges and freezer (which are full for family Christmas meals).

Later this week I'm going to install a transfer switch so that I can run my furnace.

priorguy

Didn't hit Ottawa and the Valley very hard. Had to run the snow blower 4 times over the weekend. Lots of snow and only a bit freezing rain. Not like '98 when it peaked at over 4 million without power. Some for over 2 weeks. I've been looking at transfer switch and generator options sine before we took possession of our new home November 1st.

Any suggestions of a dual purpose real-estate/wheel-estate generator would be helpful. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnDar

Didn't hit Ottawa and the Valley very hard. Had to run the snow blower 4 times over the weekend. Lots of snow and only a bit freezing rain. Not like '98 when it peaked at over 4 million without power. Some for over 2 weeks. I've been looking at transfer switch and generator options sine before we took possession of our new home November 1st.

Any suggestions of a dual purpose real-estate/wheel-estate generator would be helpful. Thanks

That probably depends on how much you want/need to run in the house. Mine was based on being able to not have to be picky about which light I could turn on vs. running the furnace vs. running the refer, etc. And being a firefighter, when the power goes out, lots of bad things happen and I get called to respond to the station. That leaves the wife alone. Didn't want her to have to mess with fueling a genny and all that goes with running a smaller portable. If your usage is small, perhaps a pair of EU2000i's would suit your needs. There are larger, cheaper genny's, but the Honda's seem to be one of the best rated. And they are quiet (I have one for working at the storage yard on the rig, etc.). And the 2000's only weigh 50 lbs. and have a top mounted handle, so they're easy to muscle around.

Theresau

Didn't hear of any issues in our area (Brighton, South Lyon). But brother lost power in Grand Rapids.

iawoody2

Here in ne Iowa we had very little ice, but about 8in of snow and minus 21 this morning. We leave first of Feb for Florida for 2 months. Can't come soon enought.

dfk009

JohnDar,
Would you mind saying what brand generator you decided on? Natural gas/LP gas is the only way to go for fresh fuel. Here in southern Illinois we are blessed with ice during winter, and wind storms in warmer weather.

priorguy

That probably depends on how much you want/need to run in the house. Mine was based on being able to not have to be picky about which light I could turn on vs. running the furnace vs. running the refer, etc. And being a firefighter, when the power goes out, lots of bad things happen and I get called to respond to the station. That leaves the wife alone. Didn't want her to have to mess with fueling a genny and all that goes with running a smaller portable. If your usage is small, perhaps a pair of EU2000i's would suit your needs. There are larger, cheaper genny's, but the Honda's seem to be one of the best rated. And they are quiet (I have one for working at the storage yard on the rig, etc.). And the 2000's only weigh 50 lbs. and have a top mounted handle, so they're easy to muscle around.

Thanks JohnDar, my research so far I can purchase a nice whole home Generac (natural gas) at Costco or Tractor Supply Company with the transfer switch for less than two Honda's. That won't cover the TT, but I don't need much for now as we don't boondock often. Same thing I'd need it for side of the road or Walmart parking lots and the odd job away from the TT. I'm finding even used Hondas aren't cheap in my area.
The comparison shop will continue, thanks for the tips.

JohnDar

Didn't hear of any issues in our area (Brighton, South Lyon). But brother lost power in Grand Rapids.

The initial outage map on Consumers Energy's website showed a lot of spots in an area with Lansing in the center, along the I-69 corridor. No real rhyme or reason to the way it was scattered.

JohnDar

Thanks JohnDar, my research so far I can purchase a nice whole home Generac (natural gas) at Costco or Tractor Supply Company with the transfer switch for less than two Honda's. That won't cover the TT, but I don't need much for now as we don't boondock often. Same thing I'd need it for side of the road or Walmart parking lots and the odd job away from the TT. I'm finding even used Hondas aren't cheap in my area.
The comparison shop will continue, thanks for the tips.

Mine is the Guardian 16K by Generac with an automatic transfer switch. It's tied directly to my main breaker panel. I don't have to do anything to run it. When the power goes out, the transfer switch trips, which causes the generator to start. Power back on, and it shuts itself off. If you can find a whole house one for less than two Honda's, including an automatic transfer switch, it sounds like a real deal. My EU2000i was $975 earlier this year, and the companion runs in the neighborhood of $1100. A consideration with the larger ones is your gas meter and how many BTU's your house can use (furnace, stove, water heater AND the generator). I was borderline with the original meter, so I had the gas company replace it with a larger one. That was not inexpensive.

And the installation estimates were all over the place, too. One tried to talk me into the 8K model for more than another quoted for the 16K with all the goodies. And another was half again as much as that. Install was two days. One for the gas company to replace the meter and one for the electrical contractor to install the generator and do the hook up.

We also don't boondoggle and use a FH seasonal site. But I like having the little Honda along (just in case) for when the power goes out in the CG due to storms in the area. It has happened.

priorguy

I think if I want a Honda the a trip down south is in order. Much cheaper in the US then I've seen here in Canada. I've seen Generac's for +/- $3K which is pretty much two. 2000i's. I have numerous gas and electrical contractor friends so it's amazing what can be accomplished with a bit of beer and pizza. And some swear equity helping them move or something.