Instructions for the new Anderson 4-way Valve in UDC for LM, BH, BC, CY & RW

jbeletti

For those owners taking delivery of Landmark, Bighorn, Big Country, Cyclone or Road Warrior, that "were built" in the last quarter of 2011, you may have a new style valve in the UDC (universal docking center).

You can easily tell if you have the new valve.

First, there is no gravity fill port for your fresh water tank.

Second, it looks like the image below.

One of the biggest advantages I see with this valve is the ability to fill the fresh water tank through a common connection.

The PDF attachment describes the usage of this new valve in detail. It will also be placed in HOM (Heartland Owners Manuals) soon.

Jim

Anderson_4-Way_UDC_Valve.jpg

Attachments

• UDC-4-Way_Valve_12-07-11.pdf
    970.8 KB · Views: 355

Netem

Will this work if boondocking and needing to add water with a jug? I'm guessing you will need a pump to get it from jug to hose connection.

jbeletti

Neil,

You're probably right. I tried dumping water from a jug into my fill port once. Wow - tough to do via gravity, plus hard to get the jug into the UDC area.

Now, if you could lift that jug higher than the water inlet on the new valve and had a hose connection on the bottom of the jug, I suppose you could switch the valve to fill the fresh water tank and it would gravity fill.

Jim

wingfoot

This is a great upgrade..All of my previous fifth-wheels had this feature. I had no problem filling my tanks...Most dry camping has a potable water source. I would simply fill my tank with the shore source hooked up and turn the valve on. Sometimes I would have to use a water thief connection . I never understood why Heartland didn't use this feature.

Now, I wonder if you can retro fit to our older Heartlands.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Maybe some HL engineer could come up with some instructions on retrofitting existing rigs with that valve. Other than possibly having to route a smaller diameter hose back to the tank, it can't be that difficult.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Jim
Greate post. Love the pictures it will help to install a similar system.

I understand these two graphs.

Fill the tank -------- City water service
View attachment 17112 View attachment 17111

This one is Normal. As I view the graphic it appears water is being used from the Fresh Water Tank. It goes thrugh the Water pump to the trailer. I understand this.

View attachment 17109

This one gives me some concern. It shows me water from the shore through the water pump? Is this to winterize it? Then to the trailer facilities. I guess the feed from the shore water is actually a container with antifreeze? Ok with that, but where does Sanitize come in? Does this provide a connection to the Black tank to flush and Sanitize it?

View attachment 17110

Don't take this as a negative. I am really pleased to see this happen, I just want to understand the operation of the system.

Thanks
BC

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Woo Hoo! Thanks, Jim. Looks like it might be another project to tackle.

OK John - you do it first (if Duane [Porthole] doesn't beat you to it), then post the results and how difficult/easy it was, then I'll give it a try.:angel:

JohnDar

OK John - you do it first (if Duane [Porthole] doesn't beat you to it), then post the results and how difficult/easy it was, then I'll give it a try.:angel:

Duane will probably beat me to it since I've got to wait until spring. Too cold to be working on it now in the storage yard. :(

porthole

Retired

I'm passing on this, not because it is not a great idea, but because I have already did my version of the "whole water docking station - filter thingy".
Finished it in August. One hook up to solve all my water needs.

Just haven't gotten around to getting the pictures posted.

JohnDar

I'm passing on this, not because it is not a great idea, but because I have already did my version of the "whole water docking station - filter thingy".
Finished it in August. One hook up to solve all my water needs.

Just haven't gotten around to getting the pictures posted.

So whaddaya waiting for??View attachment 17116

Duramax1

Neil,

You're probably right. I tried dumping water from a jug into my fill port once. Wow - tough to do via gravity, plus hard to get the jug into the UDC area.

Now, if you could lift that jug higher than the water inlet on the new valve and had a hose connection on the bottom of the jug, I suppose you could switch the valve to fill the fresh water tank and it would gravity fill.

Jim

Or, you could use your built in water pump to fill the water tank which is what I do when staying in parks which do not have water service to the sites ie. all BC Provincial Parks.

I do this by firstly turning on the winterizing bypass valve and inserting the hose that you would otherwise put into your antifreeze container into my water carrier container.

I then take the shower head off of the external shower hose and insert the external shower hose into the fresh water tank inlet.

Turn on the water pump, open the taps on the external water shower and now you have water being sucked up by the water pump and then exiting into the water tank.

In my case the external shower hose is long enough to reach the inlet. If yours is not, simply go to a hardware store and purchase a connector which will enable you to connect the diameter of the external shower hose to the diameter of a conventional hose. They are commonly available.

I just purchased a new model Bighorn, 3685RL, at Wilkins RV in Bath, NY. Picked it up on Nov. 5. It was winterized by the service dept. since the season is over. Got it home, LI, NY, and checked everything out. This model has the Anderson 4 way valve. Problem is the valve is fixed in the up position (normal)? It had to work when Wilkins received it, otherwise they couldn't have winterized it! Wilkins didn't have an answer. I tried with a plyers to loosen the stem but no go, I'm not going to force it. Something had to be tightened after winterizing incorrectly. The valve assembly looks fine. Anybody any idea on this one? I'm sure it's something simple. I'm a college professor, that's why I'm a college professor, we can't do anything!
Thanks.

John Burgess, JTB-Ironman

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
John, welcome to the Heartland Family and Heartland Owners Forum. This is a great place to share information.
I don't know about your valve, but if the dealer winterized it, either they may not have done it correctly or not at all. That valve should be in the bypass position. Maybe if they did not do it correctly there is still water in the valve and the reason it will not move is because it is frozen.
You might try a hair drier on it for a while from the back, actual valve part, and see if it will thaw and turn.
Just a couple of thoughts.

Peace
Dave

sJv

These trailers come winterized from the factory. It very well could be that the dealer didn't actually check the system out and just left it as is. When you did your PDI with this dealer, did they go through and operate all the faucets and hot water heater with you so that you can see that it all works?

Not only did my dealer operate all the faucets and turn on the HWT, he turned the Anderson valve to the 4 settings to explain what each one did.

-steve