Instructions for the new Anderson 4-way Valve in UDC for LM, BH, BC, CY & RW

Flyboy470

I have a new 2012 Bighorn 3070RL with the new docking system. Question - how do I sanitize my fresh water system, including the freshwater tank (i.e. how do I put bleach in my water tank, or how do I put commercial fresh water deodorant solution in my freshwater tank)? I can see how to winterize, however am uncertain if turning the water valve to the tank position and using a container with my sanitizing solution will cause the pump to pull the solution into the freshwater tank. Any enlightenment would be appreciated.

Bksvo

I have a new 2012 Bighorn 3070RL with the new docking system. Question - how do I sanitize my fresh water system, including the freshwater tank (i.e. how do I put bleach in my water tank, or how do I put commercial fresh water deodorant solution in my freshwater tank)? I can see how to winterize, however am uncertain if turning the water valve to the tank position and using a container with my sanitizing solution will cause the pump to pull the solution into the freshwater tank. Any enlightenment would be appreciated.
I am curious about this as well. We just picked up our Cyclone, and want to get everything, including the fresh water tank, sanitized. I don't see how to do that with this system, short of jury-rigging a short hose to pour the solution in.

wdk450

Guys:
I did some internet research on this, found the Anderson website, and it has some pictorial diagrams on the page I link below.
You winterize (add antifreeze to the system) and sanitize (add chlorine solutions to the freshwater system) in pretty much the same way. You fill a bucket with the desired solution, hook up a short connecting garden hose to the city water fill inlet, put the other end of the hose in the bucket of solution, turn the valve to the sanitize/winterize position, go in the trailer and turn on the water pump. The pump will pull fluid up from the pail and into the fresh water tank. Once this gets going turn on every water line in the trailer one at a time until chlorine smell (or pink antifreeze) is detected at the tap. Don't forget the icemaker line if you have one (I just had a friend who winterized but forgot the icemaker - the solonoid valve on the icemaker developed a big leak when she first used the rig this spring). If you are winterizing your black/grey tanks run sume of the antifreeze down every drain for a while.
Here is the link: http://www.andersonbrass.com/rv_4_function_fill_station.php

FYI, I don't have this new valve system, but looked it up as I was curious about retrofitting my rig.

sJv

Actually, you can not sanitize the fresh tank this way. When you have the valve set to winterized, the pump will only fill the lines. There is no setting to draw water using the pump to fill the tank.

What I've done is to set the valve for tank fill. Pour a strong bleach solution into my water hose, then hook the hose to my faucet to fill the bleach and water into the tank. You normally don't use that much bleach that it can't be contained in the hose.

Steve

TedS

Question for JimB. Will this be one of the 'small' service items available at the Gillette Rally? Or maybe the parts for a DIY project?

Bksvo

Actually, you can not sanitize the fresh tank this way. When you have the valve set to winterized, the pump will only fill the lines. There is no setting to draw water using the pump to fill the tank.

What I've done is to set the valve for tank fill. Pour a strong bleach solution into my water hose, then hook the hose to my faucet to fill the bleach and water into the tank. You normally don't use that much bleach that it can't be contained in the hose.

Steve

That's a great idea, Steve. It sure beats the hose/funnel contraption I had in mind.

jbeletti

Question for JimB. Will this be one of the 'small' service items available at the Gillette Rally? Or maybe the parts for a DIY project?

Hi Ted,

Changing out what you have, to the Anderson valve is not something that will be done at the rally. You could buy this item for a DIY project. The one we use is NOT all brass. If I was installing this in my RV, I'd buy the full brass unit.

By the way, I saw the unit like we offer, at Camping World in Seffner, FL a month ago. On the clearance rack for something like $50 or so.

Jim

Flyboy470

The attached link shows that the Anderson Valve, in the Sanitize/Winterize position, isolates the fresh water tank from the system - not allowing anything into the fresh water tank. Therefore, it seems that you can sanitize your lines, but not the tank. The only method I can think of (not wanting to pour bleach into a hose) would be to use a standard home water filter, remove the filter element, put a diluted solution into the bowl, then carefully screw the bowl back onto the header and force the solution into the water tank in the 'Tank' fill position. Since I use a 'house ' style Culligan filter when camping to remove odors and sediment, I am not adding any equipment,just finding a new use for what I have.

Additional Information: Received a phone call from JD Adams at Heartland this morning. The Anderson 4 way valve will not allow Sanitizing the freshwater tank! His suggestion is to use something like a Miracle Grow chemical dispenser that hooks up to a garden hose and meters the chemical into the water tank with the valve in the Tank position. I'll stick with my water filter method above.

I also asked about how to tell when the fresh water tank is full (if uncertain of the accuracy of the monitor panel) since there is no vent line running to the Universal Docking Station on my Bighorn. His response was that the vent line is now routed to the underside of the trailer and when the tank is full, will vent to the ground under the trailer. Don't know exactly where, but will attempt to find out when Wisconsin weather allows me to de-winterize the trailer. Hope this is of benefit to other Bighorn owners - answered many of my questions.

Last edited:

Flyboy470

Summer is arriving in Wisconsin - time to check out the operation of the new Anderson Valve on my new Bighorn 3070RL. So far de-winterizing/checking out the 4-way & associated plumbing going very well. Used my water filter housing (minus element) to sanitize fresh water system - 1-1/4 cups bleach for 75 gal tank. Checked calibration of water level on panel - seems to be right on-the-money! Found location of fresh water tank vent line. As indicated previously, it was moved from between the 4-way valve selector switch & water inlet. It is now on drivers side of trailer, rear and under living room slide-out, just aft of rear brace, just outboard of frame.

We checked all the faucets, the toilet, and the shower --- (don't ask the wife what happens when I don't install the rubber washer on the shower head & she checks to make sure the bleach has reached the shower head!!!!!).

Next - drain & flush, drain & add water 'sweetener' chemical.