interior wall bubbling by lower bedroom slide out

mslater

noticed bubbling of wall on lower corner of bedroom slide out when i opened unit up . checked the outside numerous times , wiper seals looked good and in position . came to the conclusion that when i pulled the slide in maybe the seal was pulled in and was letting water in . figured i would keep an eye on it . sunday we had big rains and i found a couple drops of water in side and the carpet was wet 2'' diam. ....started checking outside and found where the slide out cable enters there is a piece of rubber glued to the wall. i noticed the top half of the rubber had come unglued and was curling out a little bit on the two on the right side, the left were still glued . i than glued them an put a bead of silicon on top of the rubber . was thinking of covering the rubber with some roof tape (eternabond)....will this adhere to the wall of the rv and the rubber? has anyone else had this problem ? I'm hoping this solves the leak ....i don't know what to do to fix the 4"x 12" bubble on the inside any ideas?

jbeletti

Sorry to hear about your seal and leak.

With regard to the bubble, can you post a picture of it?

Are you saying it's a bubble on the interior wall decor board? If so, I'm guessing the fix is to cut out the section and replace it. If you can, take two pictures. One of the bubble, then a zoomed out picture of the bubble in context so we can see where on what wall the bubble is. That will illicit better responses on how to take care of the bubble.

While you may or may not be interested in replacing the decor board with the same exact stuff, if Heartland still uses the same board, it should still be available, though costly to ship. Another idea is to replace the bubble section with the same thickness of luan and obtain from Heartland, a roll of the contact paper-like material that matches the decor board so you can cover the replacement section.

Just some ideas.

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
Sounds like water intrusion. Is there a window above the bubbled area? If so that may be the site of the intrusion. If possible post some pictures of the location for better advice. Also if you can contact Heartland they may help with the cost but you will need pictures of the area.

mslater

Sounds like water intrusion. Is there a window above the bubbled area? If so that may be the site of the intrusion. If possible post some pictures of the location for better advice. Also if you can contact Heartland they may help with the cost but you will need pictures of the area.
pretty sure the water intrusion is where the cables for the slide pass thru the rubber patch on the outside of slide ...iam more worried about fixing the leak first before i do the bubble

- - - Updated - - -

1. has anyone experienced the rubber patches where the cables on the slide becoming un glued ?
2. will eternabond stick to the fiberglass {trying to put a piece over the rubber where slide cables enter }
3. any advice on fixing or hiding the bubble on the inside wall { aprox. 4"x12"} sanding with belt sander and covering with a wall paper ?????

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
1) Not sure if the rubber there is meant to be a water proof application. Rubber may just be for cable protection from rubbing when moving in /out.
2) Eternabond tape is good and maybe you can make a patch that covers the whole rubber seal.
3) Other than replacing a section of wall board with replacement piece from HL I used a wallpaper roller and hair drier to heat, dry and shrink bubbles with good success.

mslater

1) Not sure if the rubber there is meant to be a water proof application. Rubber may just be for cable protection from rubbing when moving in /out.
2) Eternabond tape is good and maybe you can make a patch that covers the whole rubber seal.
3) Other than replacing a section of wall board with replacement piece from HL I used a wallpaper roller and hair drier to heat, dry and shrink bubbles with good success.
the bubble in the wall is caused by the swelling of the luan behind the wall paper ....havent figured how to post pics.....thanks for your thoughts

mslater

big rains in florida yesterday . after patching rubber where cables enter i still have water coming in . just don't see where it can be

carl.swoyer

Is their any water on the bottom of the slide box where the three white roller s are .

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

carl.swoyer

If there is pull the rubber flap seal back and there should be a bead of silicon catching water and directing it away

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I had some water coming in near the end of the slide. I wound up adding a little dab of caulk right behind the seal and on the edge of the slide trim.
My thoughts were that the water would just run along that edge and enter the camper. The dab of caulk served as a dam to re-route the flow of water and prevent water getting into the camper.
This picture is not of my bedroom slide but it is what I did on all of my slides.
When the slide is out this will be right behind the outer seal.

Peace
Dave

Attachments

• caluk dam.jpg
    caluk dam.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 42

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Do you have slide toppers? It is possible that the water is coming in from the top of the slide box, running down and pooling in that area. If no toppers, get up on a ladder and check the top wiper seals on the slide to be sure they're properly deployed. Even with toppers on mine, one of the set-up checks is to inspect all of the slide seals, top and sides.

mslater

I had some water coming in near the end of the slide. I wound up adding a little dab of caulk right behind the seal and on the edge of the slide trim.
My thoughts were that the water would just run along that edge and enter the camper. The dab of caulk served as a dam to re-route the flow of water and prevent water getting into the camper.
This picture is not of my bedroom slide but it is what I did on all of my slides.
When the slide is out this will be right behind the outer seal.

Peace
Dave
thanks i will try adding the caulk

- - - Updated - - -

Do you have slide toppers? It is possible that the water is coming in from the top of the slide box, running down and pooling in that area. If no toppers, get up on a ladder and check the top wiper seals on the slide to be sure they're properly deployed. Even with toppers on mine, one of the set-up checks is to inspect all of the slide seals, top and sides.
no toppers but i think that has to be my next move .... i too always check my wipers . i thought that might have been my problem when i pulled my slide in last spring, that it had curled in and was leaking all summer when i opened it up in the fall...stay in rv in the winter in florida