Is It Worth It??

I've read many of the posts, and I wonder is the cost of a 5th wheel ($35,000 - $60,000) worth all the trouble. It sounds like most everyone has trouble of some kind due to the lack of quality in any of the products across the board. I'm not picking on any certain level or manufacturer. So what ar eyour thoughts??

AAdams

Yes, we have lived in one off and on since 2008. We have decided that it is the only way to go and have bought a new rig that is for full timers. I will never own another house, rent an apartment, etc. The ability to see the country, meet different people is really indescribable. I lived in houses and apartments and most people never know their neighbors. Go to a RV park and you will meet a lot of people. Most are very friendly, there are a few that aren't, but I can hook up and leave.

As far as problems with the units, some is maintenance related, some is manufacture problems. Add up all the people that have RV's and those with major problems, IMHO the percentage will be small. Sure many will have small problems here and there, but these unit suffer the equivalent of a CONSTANT earthquake while we go down the road. Subject your house to 16 hours of a earthquake and see what is left, so a RV does do pretty well.

In short, it is all what you want and expect from a RV.

On a side note; My 3 mo old $65k truck has had more problems than my RV has.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I've read many of the posts, and I wonder is the cost of a 5th wheel ($35,000 - $60,000) worth all the trouble.So what ar eyour thoughts??
I guess it depends on your outlook.
Many of us here on the forum love what we do, so if there is a problem we take care of it and continue doing what we like.
As far as trouble goes, sometimes trouble really isn't.

iawoody2

I think one of the previous post is absolutely correct. The few people who have problems are very out spoken. There are literally thousands of us, like me, who have had almost no problems. The 2 small issues I had were taken care by me in a matter of minutes.

JanAndBill

Does your car/truck go down the road mile after mile without having issues at some point, or require maintenance? Does your house stand forever without any work? As a previous poster pointed out most of us don't post about our lack of problems. This forum serves as a clearing house for those with questions.

whp4262

I've never owned a house or an RV that didn't need something fixed at some point. But all of the stuff I've had to fix on my RVs has been easier then some of the things I've had to fix on my house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jim.Allison

I'm bring your post back to the top. As others have pointed out it is people with real or perceived problems that complain about their rigs. The tire issue is a real issue, a definitely not a perceived on. Some people have real issues. Some people think that driving around the block will void the warranty. Every kind of person is represented here. Some lie about what happened to their rig and you can tell because what they say is just not possible and some form of neglect was the cause.

I took delivery of a 2014 BC3650RL, its a great rig. IT HAS NEVER BEEN BACK TO A DEALER SERVICE DEPARTMENT!!!!! Do you want to know why? I will tell you. IT's because I have fixed all the little details that the manufacturer did not address. And there are very few of those.

Never take your rig to a dealer service department, for a minor problem that can be dealt with personally. Its like my grandfather used to say and I believe it; "don't go the the hospital they will kill you in there".

If you think you want a rig, study the pros and cons, if you decide to buy one, buy it and expect to have some little issues. A major issue can be dealt with by reading this forum. Anyone who considers themselves a DIY can handle a repair on a rig. Except for some very major exceptions a rig should provide many years of great service.

YouTube is a great source for information on RV maintainance.

I've read many of the posts, and I wonder is the cost of a 5th wheel ($35,000 - $60,000) worth all the trouble. It sounds like most everyone has trouble of some kind due to the lack of quality in any of the products across the board. I'm not picking on any certain level or manufacturer. So what ar eyour thoughts??

katkens-DW

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
AS Dave said we love camping and meeting and making friends . Our trailer is 9 years old only been back to the dealer twice once when it was new and this year we had it fixed . Kenny fixes all the small things and does all the maintenance on it.Our trailer is still the best money we ever spent .

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
We have owned 4 units by 4 different manufacturers. Our current rig is by far the best built one we have owned so far and we had a Lance for a spell too. One thing that has not been mentioned yet is, the bigger they are the more that can go wrong. I believe that has some to do with it.

SilverRhino

We have "camped" in tents, pop up trailer to 5th wheel trailers......Everyone of them had an issue at one time or another. We love travelling around the country in an RV and for us, the 5th wheel made the most sense. Our 5th wheel does not have all the options that some do, but it is very comfortable for us. We made the decision in the last year to seriously upgrade our tow vehicle and keep the same 5th wheel.....We priced motorhomes and feel that a towable is much more to our style and for the same options and comfort it is much more affordable. I agree with others, the motorized portion of the equation will have a lot more problems, that are more costly than the trailer. The simplier the unit, whatever it might be, the fewer problems you will have......But my wife wanted her own bathroom and the tent just did not work for that.

Honestly consider how much you will use the trailer.....if only once or twice a year for a weekend getaway.....NOT worth it! You can rent RV of various types if you will not be using the unit more than a few days a year. No maintenance, no storage and no upkeep that way! You just have to decide what works best for you, then go do it.... and enjoy it!

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired

When we got into RVing, we didn't know we'd need to learn about: electrical systems. suspension parts. propane systems. HVAC. plumbing. become expert with a caulking gun. a tire expert. But we also are not afraid to learn these things, so that when problems pop up, we handle them appropriately without letting it ruin our day.

We also learned that you tend to get what you pay for... if you buy a low or mid-priced 5ver, it will not be constructed with the quality, care and parts of a high-end 5ver. So if your expectations are high-end, you can potentially be disappointed.

But lastly, we never dreamed the network of friendly and helpful folks we have found on the forum, and in person through rallies. These folks step up to help others ALL THE TIME! We've been blessed to meet some folks we consider good friends through all of this. And now, RVing is not something we do by ourselves, it's something we enjoy with others, and enjoy sharing our experience with others. So well worth it, in my opinion!!!

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
The few people who have problems are very out spoken. There are literally thousands of us, like me, who have had almost no problems. The 2 small issues I had were taken care by me in a matter of minutes.

Then I guess you wouldn't know what it is like to experience a real problem with an RV.

Sure, most have very minimal issues . . . if any at all.

But don't think for a minute that there aren't a few that get out with more than a one-minute fix with a screw driver, a socket wrench, or a tube of super glue!

They really do exist, despite the fact that you may have not experienced it.

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
Are there going to be problems? Yes. Fix them and move on. Don't focus on the bad, think of all the AMAZING experiences we have in our RV's and the lifelong memories we create! We have been RVing since our adult kids were toddlers and have been blessed with some wonderful dreams come true and family time and bonding that I don't feel could be replicated or compared to with any other lifestyle! We have had some huge financial blows during our RVing days, and even got sucked into the anger and resentment a few times, but always managed to hold onto what was really important and move past it. If you live with hate and resentment then you're missing out on all the great things about the RV lifestyle! I wouldn't trade the RV lifestyle for the world!!

Rod Ditrich

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
LikeLike others have said...there will be problems...most small and easily fixable. Others may be quite large...our first year of ownership was in a word a nightmare! Three trips to the factory for a major repetitive repair, which in the end we discovered was mostly caused by our medium duty truck. Once we got past that we spent six years in our Bighorn with just regular upkeep and maintenance...so yes, there are those of us who have dealt with MAJOR problems and still got past them and learned to love and enjoy this life style. Unfortunately if you cannot learn to put problems in your rear view mirror, than this lifestyle might not be a good match....if you can...it is more than worth the price of admission... JMHO.

szewczyk_john

My 2 boys are now 20 and 17. 3 years ago we flew to Mexico for my son's high school graduation present and stayed at a resort for a week. It was their first ever non-rv vacation. Our dogs were kenneled for this trip. On our way home, both kids made comments about how being in the RV is better than the trip they just had. plus we all felt bad for the dogs. We have seen so many interesting items and done so many little things that most travelers simply fly over or around. Plus all that time together as a family getting from our home to our destination is great family bonding time. I'm pretty **** sure that my entire family sure in the **** thinks that it is worth it.

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
Would you mind telling me what 4 units have you had??

I know your question is for Ghettomedic but we have also had many brands of RV's, and Heartland is by FAR the best of all. We have owned a Wilderness travel trailer, a Komfort Karryall, a Keystone Raptor, a Heartland Bighorn and now our Landmark and our last two have surpassed anything else we have owned by a long shot! The customer service, this owners club and the quality of the Heartland Product is why we are loyal Heartland customers.

Rod

iawoody2

Then I guess you wouldn't know what it is like to experience a real problem with an RV.

Sure, most have very minimal issues . . . if any at all.

But don't think for a minute that there aren't a few that get out with more than a one-minute fix with a screw driver, a socket wrench, or a tube of super glue!

I just know after 30 years working for John Deere Marketing Division that people with problems are by far more out spoken than those that are happy. There was a saying that a unhappy customer will tell absolutely everyone he can about his problems. A happy customer tends to tell only a few.