Is my 50 amp power cord long enough?

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Actually if you have a 50a extension you don't need a 30a extension also. Just use an adapter to go from 50a to 30a and your good to go. No need to carry the extra weight of the 30a. This way you are covered for both 50a and 30a....

BC

TXTiger

Do you ever plug the EMS in between the cord and the rig, or do you always plug into the pedestal? Are there any pros and cons to either way?

I have a 50a extension that is 15ft. That is all I have ever needed and I have used it a number of times. I believe if you don't have one you should look into finding one.

I also have a 50a to 50a adaptor. I have been to a number of campgrounds that have the power source so low to the ground that I can't get my Surge Guard connected to the pedestal. I don't like to lay my surge guard on the ground so I put it on a 2x. I also cover it up with some extra 2x's to keep it from being rained on while laying flat on the ground.

View attachment 23652

It is interesting as to all the things we need to keep us working while staying in some campgrounds.

BC

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Do you ever plug the EMS in between the cord and the rig, or do you always plug into the pedestal? Are there any pros and cons to either way?

Tony... My supressor is external. In a way it could be rigged inside but it would be better to use the internal version. I always plug mine into the pedestal... Somewhere I read that TRC (Surge Guard) stated not to set the unit on the ground in the rain, so I put it on a 2x so it does not sit in a pool of water...

Pros or Cons depend on who is using them.
The internal you can mount a set of indicators so you can see what is going on from inside the coach. The external ones you have to go outside.
The external units are outside so they could be stolen. They have locks to go onto the unit and the main cord, but this could be cut and removed even when locked.
Enternal ones are safer from thieft but in my opinion if you have a severe electrical charge that destroy's the supressor you have to go inside and replace it rather than buy another and plug it in. Also if the supressor is destroyed and bursts into flames it is on the inside of your unit and could cause your coach to catch fire. The External units keeps this on the outside. This is my preference. I worked for an electric company and have seen devices burst into flames from severe electrical surge that you would not think would catch fire.

This is what I do.. Each to their own. If I were to replace my Surge Guard I would probably go to Progressive.

BC

TXTiger

You misread my question. It was not regarding an internal vs an external EMS. My question was do you ever plug the external EMS between the power cord and the rig on the outside to keep it off the ground or do you always plug between the pedistal and the power cord.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I don't know of any adapters that allow plugging into the trailer, so I always plug into the pedestal.

BC

nscaler2

I have a 50a extension that is 15ft. That is all I have ever needed and I have used it a number of times. I believe if you don't have one you should look into finding one.

I also have a 50a to 50a adaptor. I have been to a number of campgrounds that have the power source so low to the ground that I can't get my Surge Guard connected to the pedestal. I don't like to lay my surge guard on the ground so I put it on a 2x. I also cover it up with some extra 2x's to keep it from being rained on while laying flat on the ground.

View attachment 23652

It is interesting as to all the things we need to keep us working while staying in some campgrounds.

BC

I like your solution to the power post that is too close to the ground. Where did you get the short 50A male to 50A female cord. I've been googeling the net to find one with no good luck. Thanks in advance for the help.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Well I don't remember where I actually purchased my 50a Extender but here is a place I have bookmarked..
Shop RV Parts
18" Powergrip Extender, 50 Amp
19-0487 55215 50 Amp Each In-Stock:
$24.00

BC

iaflatlander

I choose to use an extension cord routinely. It allows me to place my portable Progressive EMS on the back bumper (with a lock). Works for me.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
I choose to use an extension cord routinely. It allows me to place my portable Progressive EMS on the back bumper (with a lock). Works for me.
We do the same. We have a locking system on the ladder that holds the surge protector.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Let's see. Turn off the breaker at the power pole. Surge protector, one copper cable. Now surge protector and two copper cables. Forget the surge protector and take two copper cables. More copper.

If they want it they will get it..

FWIW
BC

nscaler2

Well I don't remember where I actually purchased my 50a Extender but here is a place I have bookmarked..
Shop RV Parts
18" Powergrip Extender, 50 Amp
19-0487 55215 50 Amp Each In-Stock:
$24.00

BC

Bob,
Thanks for the source. I guess I wasn't using the correct terminology to search the net to find this item. I didn't know it was called a"Powergrip Extender". Again thanks for your help. :)