Is sand an issue?

Heathcote4

This might be a silly question but... we are planning on taking our toy hauler to the beach for the 1st time this summer. I assume it would not be a good thing to have sand in our water tanks. Is it an issue or am I being too paranoid about not showering in the rv if we are sandy? I would think we should probably just use the rv park showers just to be safe, but thought I would see what the opinions were from some of you.

Thanks for any input.
Farrah

danemayer

I'd expect the sand that goes down the shower into gray #1 would mostly come out when you dump the tank. But if you run with tanks open, it will probably accumulate in the bottom.

On the other hand, if you brush the sand off before coming into the trailer, it wouldn't be much of a problem. You could also use the outside shower to rinse off.

I'd worry more about the sand in the carpet and all over the floor being a pain to clean up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Heathcote4

Ok, thanks for your thoughts! We have two little girls and it is amazing how much sand they manage to store on themselves... lol. We will just try to shower most of it off at the beach or the park before even getting in the rv. A little is no big deal but my kids have super sand storage capabilities or something.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Since the Gray #1 tank tends to drain slower than the black or Gray #2 (on mine, at least), I'd brush or rinse them off outside to reduce the amount of sand that gets washed into the tank. The other possible problem with more than a little sand in the tank is some of it getting trapped in the slot for the tank valve paddle. That could lead to leaking problems.

scottyb

Some sand is worse than others and does not cooperate when trying to flush it down the drain. It's always better to shower outside which shouldn't be a problem with your RW. I'm still finding sand in my luggage and shoes from my BVI trip a couple months ago. It was that heavy course sand that you can barely get to wash down the drain and I bet it would not pass through a p-trap either.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
One other thing. If the CG is close to the water......when you get home, wash everything very well. I say this because we camp at place in Ca. that is 100 yards from the water. You can sit in a lawn chair and watch your TV and trailer rust.

OBX_Raineys

I live in coastal North Carolina so I can attest to the sand getting into everything. Some good comments were made so far regarding the sand in the tank and I never though about possible issues with the tank valve. That made up my mind to only use a camp ground shower or the outside shower to get rid of the sand. Enjoy the TH!