Is the 31QBS Too Big??

PBOHART

Hi.

I have been a truck camper owner for about 5 years. I am now officially tired of:
1. Being able to touch every member of my family when we are all asleep due to tight quarters, and
2. Holding my breath in anxiety every time I take the camper off for fear of it toppling over, and
3. Dreading putting the camper on due to the time and hassle of the ordeal.

But...that is not why I seek your vast knowledge and guidance.

I was all set to pull the trigger on a 2009 31QBS. I was excited by the size and space and was stoked about the (way above entry) quality on an entry priced RV.

But here is the issue. Last night I had a drink with a friend that owns a 19 foot Tahoe Light. When I told him what I planned to buy he freaked out. He spent the better part of an hour trying to talk me out of buying a trailer that was this ridiculously big.

His arguments:
1. You will be excluded from over 50% of campsites because your RV is too long.
2. Maneuvering, parking, U-turning, and backing up a trailer that size will drive you to an early grave.

Now i don't know what to do. I cannot find a good 22-25 foot model with the features I covet (isolated master bedroom, bunks, dinette and couch on opposites sides of the trailer to facilitate socializing).

What do you all think. Too big??

Puzzled in Portland....;)

2010augusta

It all really depends on where you like to camp. If you stay in a lot of forest service sites or state parks, then it might be too big, but if you stay in actual RV parks then it is not too big at all.

If you are not opposed to an Hybrid RV (with tent ends) check out the T19, everything you asked for in a 21' package.

Just my thoughts

charlie51

I have the same TT. I just bought it back in the spring, but have not had any issues with being to big. I thought the same thing at first before I bought it, but it pulls better than the 24ft. I had before, and we have not had any trouble with camp sites. We do mostly state parks which in these parts can be known for small campsites, but have not had any trouble. I would recommend it to anyone, and I don't think you'll have an issue. This is a great floorplan for the weight and money, and one thing I liked is the smaller slideout. With it you don't run the risk of being too wide for a spot by the time you open your awning and then a huge slideout. Once again the parks we visit are normal 30+ year old campgrounds with shorter sites than some of the new ones, but even in some of the shorter ones I still had room to pull my truck cross ways in front of the camper if I needed, or park at the bath house where many parks have parking spaces. You can't go wrong with this TT.

charlie51

I didn't mention, but when I was looking to upgrade from the 24ft. TT, I was mainly thinking about the 26-28ft. range, but after looking inside those and then the 31QBS it was no comparison. The way the bunk room is seperated from the rest of the quarters, as well as the way the front bedroom is seperated, it is very nice. The kids can pull the door(real door not a curtain) closed and watch a movie, or we can do the same in the front bedroom. The kids also love the 2 person dinette in the bunkroom. Went to Destin, FL for a week in July, and not having carpet was a plus also. What sand or dirt gets tracked in is easily cleaned. My whole family has loved this camper, and I wouldn't buy anything else. I would get the 15K A/C if it gets very hot up your way. Mine came with it and it has no problem staying nice and cool in high 90's. A friend has another brand in same size and only got the 13.5 A/C. He ended up replacing it because it was working hard to maintain a decent temp.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
We had a 31ft for more than five years and then moved up to a 33 ft that we had for two before moving to a 5th wheel.

In all that time we pulled it using a Pullrite hitch, which actually set the wheels even farther back than a normal hitch system...and NEVER did we have a problem finding a spot in any camping ground, and we fulltimed in the 33 footer for over a year. The only issue we had was the need for more manuevering room due to the Pullrite hitch...with a conventional hitch, it would have been alot easier to back into a tight spot.

I will say, however, due to the stability of how it towed down the road with the Pullrite, it was a tradeoff we were glad to make...If you like that trailer don't let someone who's "chicken" talk you out of it!! JMHO:D

irvin56

I have one and love it.

He may be jealous of you buying a bigger one then his.

I have owned ours for two years and LOVE it.
The front closed off bedroom :D
The wife stays up longer then I and she can do her crafts and watch a movie. while I am in bed.

Bunk house end. Grand kids can eat in there, watch movies, or tv, close the door when we have a movie on in the main area. and Bedtime the door is closed and we can do our thing,( watch tv, play cards or games, visit with others without bothering kids.)

Slide only goes out 16 inchs, but is 16 feet long, opens the trailer up great, Bathroom is a good enough size for us. and we have had 9 people in the trailer for more than 6 weeks over the last two summers and not a problem.

As for the lenght. I have moved up from a 1976 prowler, 22 footer and no slide. ( now I wonder how we managed for 17 yrs with it).
I found with the longer trailer I am able to manover it around a lot better as it does not jackknife backing up as quickly. I can park it most times with one shot backing up. ( although I've be camping and pulling all types of trailers for 35 plus yrs.)

Just watch your corners, WIDE swings, don't park you unit while pulling it, where you have no easy exit. will have to walk a little farther to get stuff from stores.
take your time, get PROPER pull vehicle for trailer (power and size), right WDH and set up properly, a sway control.

And enjoy the unit.
You will not be dissapointed with you desicion it you do purchase it.
Your friend will be just want to trade his in once he has been in yours after a few times

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I have been pulling a 40 foot fifth-wheel for over 10 years (2 different ones) and have never been unable to find a site. There was one time several years ago at Boyd's RV Park in Key West Florida it was difficult to park but I made it. We generally do not camp at State or National Parks or Corp of Engineer Parks as most do not have 50 amp hookups. We also do not boondock. I would say, what you are looking at is a step-up and if I were in your shoes I would "go for it". TMHO

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
There's always somebody worried about how you spend your money. Shoulda bought this, coulda bought that, why so big, why, why, why?? Got the same thing when we bought the 3670. The same ones that think a good time is vacationing in a cheap motel room...saving their money.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Puzzled in Portland. If I remember correctly, I used to compromise when it came to purchasing big dollar items. In fact, 3 years ago when we bought our existing trailer we did just that. We had a 3/4 ton truck so we bought a trailer we thought would work well for us. Well, the trailer, while not as big as some, is working fine. The truck we had didn't. It wasn't enough truck and I decided to go bigger. Now that I have a bigger truck, I wish we had a bigger trailer to match. Because everything is paid for we'll have to live with what we have. I refuse to go into debt for a bit more comfort at this time. All that said, buy what you want and can afford. You won't regret it later when you're thinking to yourselves. Dang! We should have gotten that bigger trailer.

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
... he freaked out...trying to talk me out of buying a trailer...You will be excluded from...drive you to an early grave...

Puzzled in Portland....;)

Waah...Waah...Waah! Negative people...See ya...! Give your 'friend' another drink and send him down the road! :p:rolleyes:

Kinda reminds me of the "Crab Trap" analogy...

trvlrerik

When we first started looking I was worried about manuverability also. This is one of the reasons that we got the heartland 5th wheel. I have been able to "stuff" our 40' Cyclone into spots I would never dream about getting a 25'-30' pull trailer into. Our Cyclone also seems to have enough clearance that I have not (yet) high centered the trailer in some pretty rough areas.
As far as size goes, in my mind, is there ever enough room for all of the "stuff" that seems to find its way into trip packing?

tnhbush

31qbs

As a owner of a NT 31qbs I say buy it and you will not be sorry. We love ours and have had no problems finding a CG. It tows more like a 21 footer the a 31. Take it for a test tow and you will see what I'm talking about. I agree buy your friend a beer and make him jealous when you show off you new TT. :D