Is this good advice???

Rodbuster

Just came back from Mickey's rally in Williston, FL. While I was there I had my rig weighed by "Weigh-It". I was very pleased to hear that everything was within limits...close, but within limits.
While he was there, Bill (the owner of Weigh-It) noticed very slight wear on all of the 5th wheel's tires (just on the outside). We started talking about tires and he made a comment that I haven't stopped thinking about. He said that when I'm ready to buy new tires and "if I wanted to bullet proof my rig as far as tires go", I should consider going to a 17.5 wheel and a J or G 114 Goodyear tire. I don't remember if he said J or G. I don't even know if they make a J or a G.

He also mentioned that I wouldn't have any problems at all selling my 16 inch wheels and G614 Goodyear tires.

I have heard many good comments about the Goodyear G614 but when it's time to get new tires I would not mind spending a few more bucks to "bullet proof" any potential tire problems.

I need to know if this is a good or bad idea, and of course, WHY?
I have a 2012 Landmark Key Largo

Thank you
Dick

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
If you are close, that is very good advice. We upgraded to 17.5 rims and G114, which are H load. Michelin makes a J load, which takes the same weight as the H...4,085 per tire. Be aware that it is not inexpensive...but well worth every penny!

Birchwood

When I read a tire thread I get upset by the fact that Heartland doesn't balance trailer tires .Probably
many problems arise from this issue.An unbalance tire is a problem tire!!G or J rated tires are very
problematic if they are not balanced due to their weight .

Milton_and_PeggySue

We just picked up our new Big Country from West Palm Beach (95 miles) a week ago and Milton had to change one of the tires (as soon as we got home) due to tire separation. These are brand new tires on a brand new rig. This is worrisome. We have to return to the RV service center soon and will get the tire replaced but how do we avoid the same thing from happening again?

Rodbuster

Hmm, makes me wonder if that "slight wear" is because my tires have never been balanced. Something to think about, but let's not get off my first question.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Dick, yes going to the 17.5 wheels and tires is probably a good but expensive idea. Tire balance never has or never will cause bad tire wear unless they get choppy. And even that is caused mostly by not rotating tires on cars and light trucks or a very bad shocks. Odd tire wear is caused by alignment or an inflation issue. Too much air will cause a tire to wear down the middle and an underinflated tire will wear on the outside edges. Subject closed on that issue per your request.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Dick - we have the Grey Ghost's tires rotated and balanced every spring before camping season. Also every other year, we have RVs for Less check the axle alignment with a lazer since we have the Correct Track II installed. So far no tire wear and everything has been in balance and the trailer tracks correctly down the road.

Wharton

Milton,

Check your tire pressure and while you are at it the mfg. date of the tires. Sometimes tire separation is due to low pressure in tires. Also, the mfg. date should be within 6-9 months for the tires.

Rodbuster

I think rotating and balancing would be a good idea. Think I'll do that before our big trip in June.

As far as tire pressure, we have the TST System and we are always 1 pound (+/-) of 110psi (checked while cold).

The mfg date on all 4 tires are sometime in mid 2011. I forgot exactly what week or month, but they were checked last week when the rig was weighed.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Dick, Our G614's are nearing 4 years old. When originally purchased, the Goodyear dealer used EWqual or some other type of balancing powder in the tires. I was told it's used on commercial tires all the time.
About 18 months ago I had the same wear showing as you mentioned. Wear on the outer half of the tread on all four. I have the IS system and the alignment is good. I had my dealer remove the tires from the wheels and reverse them in an attempt to even out the wear. Looking at them now, they are looking darn good. The dealer saved the ballancing powder and reused it after flipping the tires.
The G114's on 17.5 wheels is a good idea since you have way more of that green stuff than I do. :cool:

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I have also changed to 17.5 rims and G114 tires. This was done last December so I don't have many miles on them yet. I air them up to 100psi per the Goodyear chart. I had them balanced when they were mounted and hope they ware well. I got me tire ware indicator that they measure tire tread at Discount Tire. Mine are 16/32 and I am going to watch them closely.

As I have always understood, if your tires are wearing on both outside edges you are running to low of pressure. If wearing in the middle you have to high pressure. If they are wearing on one side you are out of camber adjustment. If they are scaluped on the edges or across the tire you have shock problems... This could also indicate out of balance.

BC

dave10a

with all the advice about tires that I read on this forum, it occurred to me that one can not believe the advertised ratings from the manufacturers nor can we trust the federal guidelines. Could it be that many of the problems that some are having with tires is that they drive to fast, overload them or the axels are out of alignment???

TeJay

I've been reading on-line regarding imbalance and tire wear. Most everything I read indicates tire imbalance wears tires, and creates unnecessary wear on bearings, suspension parts and shocks, if you have them. If a tire is out-of-balance (OOB) statically the tire will bounce up and down. OOB dynamically it will wobble side to side. Most imbalances are a combination of static and dynamic. These put unneeded and unnecessary loads on everything attached. Years ago long before computer balancing we had a Hunter on the car spin balancer and a bubble balancer. When a tire is as little as 1/8 oz out of balance that tire would vibrate very badly. You can say and believe what you want but my tires will be balanced. Since very few TT's come from the factory with balanced tires that should give you a clue about the industry as a whole. I've bubble, spun and computer balanced hundreds of tires and I don't recall finding one that didn't need balanced.
TeJay

GatoGordo

Certainly there are many causes for tire failure. Out of balance tires wear faster and run hotter. Balance them. It is cheap insurance. Watch that tire pressure. Proper inflation allows the tires to do their job and run at the coolest possible temperature. Watch for unusual wear of the tread and if found get it professionally diagnosed and the cause corrected. Finally always check the manufacture date when buying tires. Many professionals state that no tire should be on the road more than 5 years after manufacture. You can find date checking info on the web.