Island AC outlets went out at same time

rikreed

To reiterate, I've verified the following using my DVM. All non GFCI plugs work. I have one GFCI double outlet in the bathroom that is daisy chained to the following protected outlets: 2 outside plugs on the doorside, 1 inside my storage, 1 in the UDC and 2 outlets on the kitchen island. Only the outlets on the kitchen island do not work. When connecting my DVM to either plug on the kitchen island to the hot and neutral wire, I get little or no volts. If I do so on the hot and ground wire, I get 120-123 volts. I get the same results if I use the DVM on the bare wires so I would think the plugs itself cannot be the problem. So according to the help on this board and other things I've read, my problem is an open neutral wire somewhere along that kitchen island group. I've done my best to look at the wiring inside the island, as well as taking out the outlets and do not see anything loose or burnt. So the problem must be inside or under the floor with all the other wiring. So let me propose the following possible scenario. Could there be some water leakage that may have caused a delayed issue? A few days before this happened, I changed my water filter out and the seal did not line up spraying a little water around before I could stop it. I dried it up and did not notice any water on any wires but I could have missed something. But having said that, the GFI did not trip and all plugs were working just fine as we use that Island plug a lot this time of year for the heat dish when it's cold outside. When the plug went out, we had another device operating on that daisy chain group on another plug in the garage. Other than that, I can't think of anything to help diagnose this issue. But thanks for all the help. The wife and I are going on a cruise in a few days so I'll probably readdress this when we get back and if I can't find anything else to try, I'll probably get a pro. I guess I could change out wall sockets just for grins, I don't see how that could help given the bare wire tests on my DVM get the same results.

Dahillbilly

going to take some time following the wiring from those island outlets to their source of power. May involve lowering down the underbelly to see where they go. It has to be in the circuit feeding those outlets. Good luck & enjoy the cruise.

rhodies1

Do you have a gfi outlet on the outside of your unit on the passenger side.If so… maybe the island is wired into that gfi. My Bighorn has a bathroom gfi and one outside as well that controls plugs inside the unit. Worth checking your outdoor plug.

rikreed

Do you have a gfi outlet on the outside of your unit on the passenger side.If so… maybe the island is wired into that gfi. My Bighorn has a bathroom gfi and one outside as well that controls plugs inside the unit. Worth checking your outdoor plug.
I do. I have 2 outdoor GFCI protected plugs that are daisy chained to the main GFCI plug in our bathroom. There is also one in the universal docking station and one in the storage/garage. All of them work fine. I know they are all daisy chained to that bathroom plug because when I turn off the breaker labeled "GFCI", my DVM records no voltage.

wdk450

I think your diagnosis of an open neutral wire somewhere is correct. I think the GFI relay only opens the hot power loads (not neutrals) on the GFI outlet and downstream.