It's time for disc brakes.

creeper

I know people on the forum have done it, but any recommendations for an upgrade to disc brakes that will work with a Ford Controller.

The Plan: Upgrade to discs and replace the springs with heavier springs as they are nearly flat.

If it hasn't been done I'll do a step by step tutorial as I blunder through the upgrade.

jnbhobe

I did it 3 yrs ago and its the best mod I have done. I used Kodiak brakes and a Carlisle controler, used 1/4 in lines to the rear and split to 3/16 to the wheels ( this reduces the lag in application of the brakes ) It works good with the Ford controler. The last price I got from MorRyde was for everything but the 1/4 in lines at about $1800 for parts.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I did mine last summer. I did take some short videos along the way as a brief tutoral. I had intended to post that, but never did. I don't know why not. Other things got in the way I guess.
I will however get off my butt and get them posted this week.
I used the same materials that Jon did except I don't have a Ford.
It was the best thing I ever did. I had a panic stop on the way down to Texas this week and those tires were smokin. No brake fade here.

Peace
Dave

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I had Mor-Ryde do mine and it is great and works fine with the Ford controller. They use the Kodiak brakes.

jnbhobe

You can get the stuff from mor-ryde or south west wheel or call kodiak direct as well as a local dealer. DO YOUR RESEARCH know what axel you have and your spindles (#41) usually. just make sure you get the right parts. And I'll tell you what I told Dave, the hardest part is running the brake lines. what a pain !! PM me with a phone # if you want to. Jon

Wharton

What else are you going to do with all your money? You are suppose to spend your children's inheritance, not hoard it. You do save some money at Mor/ryde, free camping, free breakfast and lunch.

porthole

Retired
With a 2008 Ford you just need to see if the brake controller is compatible with the hydraulic actuator.
If not, get the prodigy controller.
Don't let compatibility be a negative, the brakes are worth the effort.

nscaler2

With a 2008 Ford you just need to see if the brake controller is compatible with the hydraulic actuator.
If not, get the prodigy controller.
Don't let compatibility be a negative, the brakes are worth the effort.
If the OP goes with the Carlisle actuator, Carlisle makes a devise that can be added to the controller that will make it work with virtually and factory installed controller. It is called an HBA-CAM. I had to do this when we bought or 2001GMC. It all worked ok with our 2006 Ford but needed the HBA-CAM to make the GMC controller see the electric/hydraulic brakes. Now works great with the GMC or most anything else.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I have a 2006 F250 with the built in controller. It works great the Kodiak Hydraulic 8K Disk Brakes. I get an error once in a while but there is a device that they put in that makes everything compatible, I just haven't installed it yet. PM me if you have any questions.

Go get the Kodiak Disk Brakes. You will feel much better. BTW Mor/Ryde installed my independent suspension and Kodiak disk brakes.

BC

creeper

Thanks for all the tips. Making notes and will start the project next month. I'll post the process here for laughs and giggles.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
If your going to just get disk brakes, I don't know all the places to get Kodiak Disk Brakes or what the price might be now but you can contact Kevin at the office in Fort Worth.
They can tell you where you can have them installed. I believe the price would be about the same in most places.
Here is their website. Kodiak

Kevin Robinson
817-284-2356
7600 Sand St
Fort Worth, TX 76118
kevin@kodiaktrailer.com

BC

truknutt

Committed Member
Moderators - Why is this posted under "Exterior Windows and Doors"? Is it because that's where the initial post was first placed?

Just wondering...

jimtoo

Moderators - Why is this posted under "Exterior Windows and Doors"? Is it because that's where the initial post was first placed?

Just wondering...

Cause someone named Te'<<> messed up and no one caught it till you did.....Thanks.:)
Jim M

creeper

Okay, plan is shaping up. Going with Kodiak disc brakes. While in there I'll replace my flat looking springs and never lube bushings. Any comments on brake actuator? Carlise vs Brake right?

Anyone put one of those single leaf 6k springs on their camper? Or upgraded to 6.5k or 7k springs on 6k axles?

I think while I'm at it I'll tackle the saggy overhang by the pin box and finally get my pin box cover mod to fit my Mor Ryde pin box done.

jnbhobe

Most of us have the Carlise controler and I used 1/4 line back to the split, that cuts the hesitation out.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I have the Carlisle actuator. So far so good. And I used 1/4 all the way to the T at the wheels.
And for the spring question, when we had a 3400 RL I upgraded to 7k springs with no issues.

Peace
Dave