King bed to queen conversion

Jwill18

We have a RW362 with a king bed. Needless to say, I love the size of bed but would trade it for a little more walking room in the bedroom. Just curious if anyone has converted from a king to a queen. I know there is a slide mechanism that allows the bed to shift slightly as the bedroom slide comes in. Just curious...

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
I have done this on our last two rigs. Measure the width of your current platform first to make sure you can cut it down to queen size and still have enough perimeter support. We went one step further and put 100 pd struts underneath and put the mattress off of our s&b bed in.

Sent from my PU-36 Explosive Space Modulator.

Jwill18

I have done this on our last two rigs. Measure the width of your current platform first to make sure you can cut it down to queen size and still have enough perimeter support. We went one step further and put 100 pd struts underneath and put the mattress off of our s&b bed in.

Thanks. Do you happen to have any pictures? When you say perimeter support, are you referring to on passenger side or driver side? Did you alter both sides or just one side?

CDN

B and B
We cut our bed down for Queen size. I removed the OSB, took outside and trimmed both sides off so the strut blocks work the way they were installed by the factory.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
Thanks. Do you happen to have any pictures? When you say perimeter support, are you referring to on passenger side or driver side? Did you alter both sides or just one side?

By perimeter I meant the perimeter of the platform your mattress lays on. Neither of my conversions required doing more than measuring and cutting the platform. I have pics of my conversion complete with nightstand installation in the Oakmont forum. I did not take any of our current rig when I did it.

Hogladyrider

I may be wrong, but I believe the Big Country and Big Horn 5th wheels do not have the same bed platform as the toy haulers do.

In our 3611JS Cyclone one side of the bed platform moves into the bed (best way I know how to describe it) when the slide with the closet comes in. Hence this is why we have no under the bed storage.

It may very well be possible to modify the king down to a queen but it may take a little more work.

We moved our memory foam mattress from our Big Horn into our Cyclone, now that was an experience, and we actually trimmed the mattress down using an electric knife, it worked beautifully. We utilized the excess foam to make leg pillows out of.

Susan

Jwill18

I may be wrong, but I believe the Big Country and Big Horn 5th wheels do not have the same bed platform as the toy haulers do.

In our 3611JS Cyclone one side of the bed platform moves into the bed (best way I know how to describe it) when the slide with the closet comes in. Hence this is why we have no under the bed storage.

It may very well be possible to modify the king down to a queen but it may take a little more work.

We moved our memory foam mattress from our Big Horn into our Cyclone, now that was an experience, and we actually trimmed the mattress down using an electric knife, it worked beautifully. We utilized the excess foam to make leg pillows out of.

Susan
You're correct. We have the slide system built into the platforms. Curious if anyone has modified a platform with the slide built in...

Jwill18

We have a RW362 with a king bed. Needless to say, I love the size of bed but would trade it for a little more walking room in the bedroom. Just curious if anyone has converted from a king to a queen. I know there is a slide mechanism that allows the bed to shift slightly as the bedroom slide comes in. Just curious...

Just finished the mod from King to residential queen. Thrilled with finished product and the new floor space. 8" makes a huge difference in the bedroom.
5ddc60ba435aad112736063fd4fcdf0b.jpg
7514979bbb366e62f858a76c34061510.jpg
d50a328a8617b9148eac2fc623b8545b.jpg
22e6625b099a3a782b16f62e54afe4bf.jpg
58e649cbb2f6253b8b6816f84fa82b86.jpg
226580145fd437188cfc7130be17bb49.jpg

superduty08

Tennessee Chapter Leaders
I converted our king to Queen by cutting down each side to match the queen materess and now we can use standard sheets and life is easier and less expensive. We only have a queen in our house so all is good.

You're correct. We have the slide system built into the platforms. Curious if anyone has modified a platform with the slide built in...

We recently purchased a mattress online that is 3 inches narrower than a king but still wider than a queen. It’s perfect!