King Tailgator #VQ4500 or Wineguard Pathway X2 ????

rjr6150

In the market for a new portable satellite dish. My old VQ2000 will no longer receive Dish Network signals due to their upgrade. Cost from King Controls would be $600 for motherboard and $200 for programming. Received the new Tailgator today and was totally underwhelmed. Slightest cloud cover knocks out Sat 129. Going to call King support tomorrow and try to work with them to resolve. I've had my old Qube since 08 and had great luck with it. Hoping some of you might be able to direct me.

kdubinwa

Just finished my evaluation and went with the X2. If you have the room for the slightly larger X2 it offers better reception due to the larger reflector. That translates to stronger signal in rain/snow or filtered views of the sky.

It also can be configured when scanning to use eastern or western arc sats. The King Controls option is western arc only.

In the market for a new portable satellite dish. My old VQ2000 will no longer receive Dish Network signals due to their upgrade. Cost from King Controls would be $600 for motherboard and $200 for programming. Received the new Tailgator today and was totally underwhelmed. Slightest cloud cover knocks out Sat 129. Going to call King support tomorrow and try to work with them to resolve. I've had my old Qube since 08 and had great luck with it. Hoping some of you might be able to direct me.

My wineguard is about 8 years old and works great. Not familiar with the newer models but do know that wineguard makes a good product. Good luck! Bob and Vicki

pegmikef

FWIW, I'm on my second tailgater. I have been using it for five years and have had minimal problems (except I wore one out). On mine, the weather really has to be nasty to interrupt the signal and I have noticed when it is that bad it also adversely affects the local OTA stations. Normal cloud cover has no affect on the signal.

rxbristol

I noticed Dish is catering to RVers more today than just two years ago. If I have to replace our Tailgater I would definitely go with the X2...if nothing else, it offers east and west satellites and can run two receivers independently.

esscobra

started in 2011 with wineguard carryout- still going strong- had several people with tailgators- buy one after seeing how quick and easy it works- mounted a pathway x1 on roof ( carryout was on ladder mount ) for bedroom or both tvs when they first came out- has worked flawlessly - only 2 times have ever had to put it on ground off trailer- and only in really heavy storms with thick clouds has it lost signal- as good as my home fixed dish- and the x1 is slightly better reception and switches sats faster- be aware the x1 can run 2 receivers as well - but both pathways dictate that both receivers watch the same sat- and controlled by the primary- that is why I had 2 dishes- ( sold trailer past sat- awaiting my new 3760el ) and already have travlr ready to install on it- sold the carryout with my trailer and keeping my x1 ( small and light ) in case am ever in trees or blocked site- I have had great luck with the wineguards- power up and while your setting up rest of rv- sat tv is usually working by time your level and slides out.