Kitchen counter extension

Ldo

Anybody add an extension to the left end of the kitchen island? There is barely enough room to set plates, etc prior to washing. I have an idea but I thought I would check others. Thanks

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Certain models of trailers used to have a fold up counter extension a few years ago (2009-10?). You could easily add a fold up extension about a foot long. Heartland may even have a few still available in their parts department.

Ldo

Thanks. What I'm thinking of doing is creating a portable slide on and off design. Just use it when stacking dishes to wash and then put away.

Certain models of trailers used to have a fold up counter extension a few years ago (2009-10?). You could easily add a fold up extension about a foot long. Heartland may even have a few still available in their parts department.

Ldo

Thanks ladies and gentlemen. I'll do my research.

NYSUPstater

Awhile back when I spoke to HL about factory installed ext, was told "no" due to various types of countertops etc. Personally, don't see why they couldn't at least offer some type of ext, even if same color/type of wood. That was 1 of my wife's things on her list for our 1st and current coach (counter space). Was able to have it added when we ordered it. Worst case senerio is if we do get a new HL BC, may have to contact local kitchen place about what can be done.

danemayer

Awhile back when I spoke to HL about factory installed ext, was told "no" due to various types of countertops etc. Personally, don't see why they couldn't at least offer some type of ext, even if same color/type of wood. That was 1 of my wife's things on her list for our 1st and current coach (counter space). Was able to have it added when we ordered it. Worst case senerio is if we do get a new HL BC, may have to contact local kitchen place about what can be done.

When we were getting ready to order our 2011 Landmark, I asked about modifying the shape of the kitchen island so that the "whiskey barrel" used on other models could be added. Heartland declined. I later came to realize that they would have to get the Landmark engineer to create a new engineering drawing/part number and template in order to make that custom countertop. I've since met some of the engineers and I can tell you they have way too much work to handle custom design requests. I suppose Heartland could hire an extra engineer to do custom work, but then they'd have to recover the cost. And the logical way to recover it would be to charge a substantial fee for custom work.

You might feel like you have a lot of company and that many people would want what you're proposing. The product general managers are interested in that type of feedback to consider for future designs. But custom modifications to current designs are usually not going to happen.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Interesting, our 2011 Landmark came with the "Whiskey Barrel" storage area with longer countertop. Perhaps they changed the design as a result of many requests, such as Dan's. Or perhaps it was a floor plan unique item based on available space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

Interesting, our 2011 Landmark came with the "Whiskey Barrel" storage area with longer countertop. Perhaps they changed the design as a result of many requests, such as Dan's. Or perhaps it was a floor plan unique item based on available space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Most of the 2011 LM floor plans had rounded ends with the Whiskey Barrel. Our 2011 Rushmore has a kitchen island that is shaped differently at the rear from the others to match the different shape of the slideout counter. The designer had elected to make the front end the same as the rear, instead of rounding it. That's why the Whiskey Barrel used elsewhere wouldn't fit. T

Ldo

Okay, I finished my counter extension a week or so ago. It is a slide on slide off design. The slides and guides are under the existing counter top and new extention. Used jig saw to cut extention to curve of existing counter and gained about another 10's of counter. Wife likes it and that's what counts.

VKTalley

Okay, I finished my counter extension a week or so ago. It is a slide on slide off design. The slides and guides are under the existing counter top and new extention. Used jig saw to cut extention to curve of existing counter and gained about another 10's of counter. Wife likes it and that's what counts.

Pictures, please! I'd love to see how it looks.

Ldo

Well I made the counter extension and it works very well and more room to stack dishes to wash on the left. When finish washing I just slide it off and store between slide wall and recliner.

danemayer

You click on the INSERT IMAGE Icon as highlighted in the attached screen capture. Then browse to the picture you want and upload it.

Attachments

• Add picture icon.jpg
    Add picture icon.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 36

Ldo

Okay I'm going to try to attach pictures. The counter extension is a huge success with the wife. Now to add the pictures. Well there is no way to send pictures via tap a talk. You send me you number and I will send you pictures.