LA to Big Sur route question

Kblock108

I will be heading to big sur from la, my gps is saying 101 to 1 and into big sur. Can anyone tell me if the 1 is an okay drive for our 55' set up? I'm open to other routes but I want to make sure I take the right road

wdk450

I will be heading to big sur from la, my gps is saying 101 to 1 and into big sur. Can anyone tell me if the 1 is an okay drive for our 55' set up? I'm open to other routes but I want to make sure I take the right road

The section of Highway 1 North from approximately the San Simeon/Hearst's Castle is a narrow, winding, 2 lane road literally built on the side of mountains that run directly down into the sea. It is probably the most scenic road in California. It is not legal for vehicles over 45 feet, although it is a frequent route for tour buses.
The legal way to get to Big Sur from the South with a big rig is to drive up Hwy 101 from San Luis Obispo to Salinas. You can cut over West from there on Ca 68 to Monterey, then back south (about 30 miles) to Big Sur. Your big rig will not be legal on Highway 1 South of Big Sur, but there is a state campground and some private ones in Big Sur.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Not sure what type of rig you have, but for the most part I agree with Bill. 101 north to 68 west through Monterrey is just as fast and safer.

I have pulled CA 1 both ways with a 30' SOB fiver and there are a couple of turns that are almost impossible to make. (At Lime Kiln is one bad one). While it has been improved and widened a great deal since the 60's, it's still definitely not for novices or the faint of heart while towing.

Once you drop your trailer, I do recommend making the drive in your tow vehicle however. It's one of America's most scenic drives. Trace

Kblock108

I will make sure I take a gander. Any of you aware of map software or a website that u can get the same info like I just asked? I have many trips coming up and many roads I have never been to, I'd hate to get "tested" with my family. Also, any of u use a gps or gps app that shows lane transitions? I have found that freeways I have been on have transitions that are not always the right two lanes, of which in california we must stay in. I don't like those last mile or 2 darts across lanes. I would prefer to see it on a gps and know what's coming

Mizmary

Not sure what type of rig you have, but for the most part I agree with Bill. 101 north to 68 west through Monterrey is just as fast and safer.

I have pulled CA 1 both ways with a 30' SOB fiver and there are a couple of turns that are almost impossible to make. (At Lime Kiln is one bad one). While it has been improved and widened a great deal since the 60's, it's still definitely not for novices or the faint of heart while towing.

Once you drop your trailer, I do recommend making the drive in your tow vehicle however. It's one of America's most scenic drives. Trace

+2 (myself and my husband).

We've done that drive many times. Go north to Monterey and then head south to Big Sur. Don't take your rig north out of San Simeon to Big Sur. DO take your Tow vehicle and see the sights. Even heading south from Monterey there are some tight turns, but nothing like further south!!

There have been times that road has actually fallen into the ocean in spots.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Any of you aware of map software or a website that u can get the same info like I just asked?

An easy way to travel safe with a trailer without spending a bunch of money, is buy a Rand McNally truckers road atlas.
It shows routes approved for big rigs. It also shows low overhead clearances. You can get one at Walmart for very little money. Trace