Landing gear trouble, again

wyleyrabbit

Hi everyone,

Well, we just got back from a weekend at a local campground. The weather was chilly, temperature just above freezing, and we had a light dusting of snow. Went through almost a tank of propane. Had a pretty great weekend though.

This morning, when trying to get the trailer hooked up to the truck, my gearbox broke on the front landing gear. Argh! This happened to me a couple of years ago, so fortunately this time we were prepared. After (quietly) swearing a few times (I didn't want the kids learning any new words), I dug out the pair of 12-ton bottle jacks, and jacked up the front of the trailer enough to hook up. Getting the landing gear raised enough was tough, because we had to hand-crank them up. When we took the trailer to the farm for storage, we used the bottle jacks again to get the trailer off of the truck.

I really wish these gearboxes were made of metal. Why, why, WHY are they made out of plastic?!?

Last time, I think a replacement gear box was $50 plus shipping. Does anyone remember where we need to order these things from? I seem to have not made notes about this anywhere. I also can't find the receipt from last time, which is unusual for me.

Cheers,
Chris

caissiel

Your problem is the jacks gears are not meshing or worn out by now and climbing and jaming.
I bought a spare made of aluminum after I broke mine. But I fixed jacks and drive box anchor and still using original. I have a write up on the repairs. Search for landing gear problems in this forum. Mine might be in BC area.

Sent from my SPH-M910 using Tapatalk 2

wyleyrabbit

Thank you both. I have now ordered a replacement gearbox. The manufacturer, Venture Manufacturing, refers to this as a "gear reduction box" and it's part number "940-41". The new ones are no longer made out of plastic and are now made of aluminum. I paid $55 plus shipping and I should have it hopefully by the end of this week.

rick_debbie_gallant

Before my LG breaks down I want to upgrade to dual motors. Where be the best place to purchase.

But if I had the dough I would get the ground control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wyleyrabbit

Before my LG breaks down I want to upgrade to dual motors. Where be the best place to purchase.

Hmmm. Dual motors. I'm thinking that Venture Manufacturing might be exactly the place. I dealt with Sue and Patty, and they were both great, and very friendly. Sue's product knowledge seemed a bit better (she may be one rung up the ladder).

Sue asked me how long and how heavy our trailer is, and she said we're "borderline" to having a second motor. Your rig is much bigger than ours, I think you might really benefit!

Chris

caissiel

Make sure you can Jack with the crank with little effort and if to hard a second motor will just ruin the jacks. Mine work great since my mod with one motor.

Sent from my SPH-M910 using Tapatalk 2

Gary521

The gearbox is not the problem. The problem is the inner jack screw and the lack of lubrication on the screw. After a while, it wears the screw with the trapped nut on the inner leg. Sooner or later, the screw starts to bind. I drilled a couple of holes in the outer leg to get lubrication to the screw. A second motor helps a lot but does not solve the underlying problem. Go to Venture's website to see a drawing of the assembly.