Landing jack switch on a 2011 Sundance 2900MK

Casimiro

Hi y'all,

I recently became a proud owner of a 2011 Heartland Sundance 2900MK. The landing legs switch is wide open and readily accessible. My concern is that some prankster can come by and start messing with the landing legs of the coach.

I would appreciate any suggestions as to how to remedy this.

Thanks...

danemayer

Hi Casimiro,

Congratulations on the new-to-you Sundance and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

A lot of rigs have that unprotected switch, but I don't think anyone has ever posted about pranksters actually messing with the switch.

A simple fix would be to add an spst switch inside the front compartment and route the hot wire through that switch. Turn it off to cut power and disable the outside switch. Just need to find a switch rated for the amperage - probably 30 amps at 12V DC. No prankster will go looking for the 2nd switch.

Casimiro

Dan,

Thank you. As for your suggestion, its a very good idea. It's just that on our last coach, a super lite Jayco Eagle, the landing legs switch was enclosed in a locked panel. So, thus our concern. However, its good to know that you have not heard of anyone being a victim to such prank. Thank you again.

olcoon

I'll second what Dan said. Our 2011 Elk Ridge (we bought it new) has the same switch, and I've never had any problems with someone messing with it. At first I was also concerned about someone messing with it but it hasn't happened.

GMCaddic

Or you can do this I painted mine black.

Attachments

• IMG_1902.jpg
    IMG_1902.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 27
  • 11060061.jpg
    11060061.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 23

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
You could get something like this.

View attachment 44185

Lock Out/Tag Out! One of my Confined Space topics.

I also haven't heard of anyone messing with the jacks. On mine, with the original electric Ground Control system, they can play with the switch all they want. Without the remote controller for the system, nothing's going to happen.

But, a hidden "kill switch" might give you peace of mind if it's a security concern.

Bogie

I have a 2011 Sundance XLT 245 RL. When the main battery switch was off, the landing gear switch didn't work. Since I'm the second owner, it may have been re-wired by the original owner (an electrician). Now that I have added Ground Control, it doesn't matter anymore.

In any case, you could do as Dan suggested, or if you're able, trace out the hot wire and move the connection so that it only operates when the main battery switch is turned on.

Enjoy your, new to you, Sundance!:)

BTW...the only prankster activity I have had is someone (kids??) pulled my black tank dump valve while parked overnight in a campground without being hooked up to sewer. I guess they wanted to give me a smelly surprise the next time I hooked up. Fortunately I noticed a slight drip from the cap which led me to the open dump valve. Tragedy (mine) avoided. :p

mlburst1

I was also concerned with the exposed switch, mostly when in storage. I added a battery shut-off switch and that relieved any concerns that I had with someone messing with the switch in storage.

When we've been using the rig (8-10 months a year), it's never been messed with.

hogan

Past Mississippi Chapter Leader (Founding)
Hi Casimiro,

Congratulations on the new-to-you Sundance and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

A lot of rigs have that unprotected switch, but I don't think anyone has ever posted about pranksters actually messing with the switch.

A simple fix would be to add an spst switch inside the front compartment and route the hot wire through that switch. Turn it off to cut power and disable the outside switch. Just need to find a switch rated for the amperage - probably 30 amps at 12V DC. No prankster will go looking for the 2nd switch.

Dan, I have a friend with 11 BH: has level up but no switch outside to extend/ retract landing gear. Is that a simple add on?

danemayer

Dan, I have a friend with 11 BH: has level up but no switch outside to extend/ retract landing gear. Is that a simple add on?

I think Lippert modified the levelup controller on late 2011 models and thereafter. Coincidentally, I think the switch was added starting with 2012 models. So it's possible the controller changes enabled addition of the switch.

In any case, if a switch were added by interrupting the existing wiring, I'd guess you'd need to isolate the controller electrically. I'm not sure what would happen if the controller and switch were operated at the same time, without isolation, but there's the possibility of a bad outcome.