Landmark - level up systems keeps tripping 50 amp relay

dave10a

Re: ATF: Landmark - level up systems keeps tripping 50 amp relay

I installed the 80 amp manual reset Blue Sea and it works fine and it has never tripped since I installed it. It occurred to me that these breakers are significantly more expensive than the 50 amp Heartland installs and may be a reason that Heartland does not want to admit the breaker they installed is marginally rated because that might make them liable to upgrade. Also since I installed the group 27 batteries I have not had an alarm for under-voltage. By installing a heavier batteries I also get better performance while boon docking. I noticed that some manufacturers install 3 group 24 batteries which is helpful for the level up while not connected to shore power or the truck.

danemayer

I installed the 80 amp manual reset Blue Sea and it works fine and it has never tripped since I installed it. It occurred to me that these breakers are significantly more expensive than the 50 amp Heartland installs and may be a reason that Heartland does not want to admit the breaker they installed is marginally rated because that might make them liable to upgrade.

Dave,

The level up/slide out hydraulic system is made by Lippert and I believe they spec a 50 amp breaker. As discussed, at one time, Lippert recommended an 80 amp breaker to resolve repetitive problems where replacing a 50 with a new 50 didn't fix the problem. For whatever reason, they no longer recommend switching to an 80 amp breaker.

I wouldn't expect to see Heartland put in a breaker that is larger than the supplier specification.

If a new 50 doesn't fix the problem, further investigation to find root cause is probably the correct course of action.

Jacknel

I have considerable electrical experience, and a breaker is a safety device to shut off the power if the current draw is too high. Increasing the size of the breaker takes the safety factor away, so the next weakest link will have to fail. A motor could burn out, or a wire could overheat possibly causing a fire. My advice would be to investigate the cause and repair, rather than than bypass the safety.

TedS

The breaker is undersized for the application. My trailer tech measured 70-amp draw when normally operating landing gear or slides. I replaced the breaker with an 80-amp. The wiring and motor are not overloaded at the higher amperage.

SeattleLion

West Marine

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/blue-...es-thermal-circuit-breakers--P009_273_004_012

I currently have a 100 in the trailer as that was what I had on hand. It will be replaced with an 80 eventually.

But, these are quality breakers, and if you have a 50 now you could probably replace it with a 50 amp version of this type.

Do you (or anyone) have photos of the breaker installed? I like the ones on the link, but will they fit my trailer?

meagle

I started this thread a few weeks ago....This is what has transpired. Initially the representative did not think that many of the Heartland fifth wheels had this problem but the more he researched it he realized that this was happening to many of the large fifth wheels. Heartland sent an 80 Amp breaker to Redding RV to have it installed on my Landmark Grand Canyon. The service technician told me that he has seen this problem on several of the larger units. He also said that the hydraulic motor was rated to 100 Amps. The Heartland representative, Ron, was great to work with. He told me that Heartland was going to work with Lippert to come up with a solution for the new RV's in the future to fix this problem. I want to thank Heartland, all of the thread respondents, and Lou at Redding RV for helping to solve this issue. This might make a difference for future customers at Heartland.

TedS

Good for Heartland. I hope Lippert listens.

porthole

Retired

Do you (or anyone) have photos of the breaker installed? I like the ones on the link, but will they fit my trailer?

Couple of posts here with pics

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/11365-And-so-it-begins?p=175687&viewfull=1#post175687