Last Ford

boatdoc

I think its funny all the Dodge guys go after the Ford motor, when for the last 20 years they have been made by Navstar. They finally got back to putting their motors in trucks with the new 6.7 Scorpion that's producing some impressive figures.

Never-mind the fact that these same Dodge guys praise the Cummins, whom Ford has controlling interest in.

I'm not a Ford truck basher or a Ford engine basher, just a Ford 6.0 PSD diesel BASHER. That engine in TWO trucks was the biggest POS I've ever owned and Ford lost me and many, many others because of it. I love their trucks, I loved their 7.3's but IMO they totally missed the boat on that POS 6.0. You guys that have had good luck with them, good for you but I'm on the other side of the fence and won't go back anytime soon after owning the Dodge for a while now. I hope the Scorpion works out but it's too early to judge them.
Sure we gave up a little comfort with the Dodge but that's about all as it tows that monster 3670 just fine and as long as it's just the tow rig and not a daily driver it does just fine, heck the fenders have'nt even fell off yet and I don't think many deer are going to run in to it going down the highway at 55MPH to see if it will dent it's doors.
Let's ALL like what we have and go RVing.

Last edited:

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
I think its funny all the Dodge guys go after the Ford motor, when for the last 20 years they have been made by Navstar. They finally got back to putting their motors in trucks with the new 6.7 Scorpion that's producing some impressive figures.

Never-mind the fact that these same Dodge guys praise the Cummins, whom Ford has controlling interest in.

Ford purchased less than a 15% share of outstanding Cummins stock in the early '90's and repurchased ALL of the shares previously owned by Ford in 1997. Ford holds no position in Cummins.

Ford used diesels from Navistar and spent almost 20 years putting bigger and bigger turds in their trucks and shoved them down our throats until a lot of us die hard Ford types gave up and ain't going back.

Now if you want to see what those of us that work these trucks use for a living drive. Come up to Elkhart, IN and look........ Look around at the guys that are pulling 3 and 4 car wedges and are plated for 36000 to 40000 lbs are driving. The clear winner is Dodge, followed by GM and in last place is Ford by a huge margin. Yes Ford makes a great cab and chassis, but if you can't keep it out of the shop or away from a fuel pump you are losing money.

Now I can't comment on the GM trucks..... Quite frankly GM lost me 30 years ago when I went to Ford, and the fact that the Duramax (Isuzu) engine is also a V8... it makes it an engine I won't consider.

It's a crying shame that my 1999 Freightliner Century with a 445 hp 12 liter CAT engine get's almost the same fuel economy as my 2006 Ford F350 6.0 did and does better on fuel then almost everyone I've talked too with a 6.4.

Here's something to think about....... Why do big trucks all run a straight 6 diesel engine instead of a V-8

Jellystone

I've got to get back in on the fun (don't y'all just love these GM, Chrysler, Ford debates);). I saw on a press release not to long ago that the new Ford diesel engine is being built in Chiahuahau (sp),Mexico. The Cummins 6.7 TURBO DIESEL is built in Indiana (USA). Just about all heavy duty trucks are "assembled" in Mexico now I believe though. Do You Hear That Giant Sucking Sound? That Sound Is American Jobs Going To Mexico. <<Does that statement sound familiar? It was so true when it was spoken during the 1992 election and it has certainly happened due to NAFTA. We sit here and argue over whose truck is the best and meanwhile our good paying factory jobs are disappearing every day.---The big 3 ALL make great Heavy Duty trucks. Buy what you want to and be happy. If you have major problems with it, then next time buy something else. Get the model that you can afford. BUY AMERICAN anytime you can in order to keep more jobs & money in the USA.

Herkster

I've been lucky with my 6.0 i guess 90,000 miles and only had some warranty work a couple times but i drive a truck for a living and know how to maintain a diesel correctly. I don't like the independent front on a heavy duty truck leave that for the half tons just not as strong IMO. I don't like the Dodge's interiors just very cheezy my buddies 2004's dash split all the way down the middle and it's already starting to rust around the wheel wells his motor doesn't run bad but his tranny is junk in and out of overdrive nonstop while towing.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
The Ford F650 SuperCruzer has a Cummings engine in it. My buddy had one and got excellent service out of it, although it was expensive to get it serviced.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Just finished our first long road trip with our 2010 F350 Ford. The trip was from the Houston Texas area to Elkhart, In and back. During this trip (and I won't lie about it) we got 7.8 mpg. I tried various speeds from 55 mph to 68 mph and it did not seem to make any difference. I must say I am very disappointed in the mpg although the truck did ride very good. I am hoping the mpg will get better down the road as we only have 16000 miles on it. When we were not towing we were getting 13.5 mph. We have the 6.4 liter engine and the 3.73 rear end. The tow haul was impressive though.

peanutman

We just bought a 2010 Duramax 4x4 crew w/6.5 bed. We are pulling a Greystone 32. Pulling around 13,600lbs WE just got back on a camping run from dallas to ark and back. The Duramax with the 6 speed allison is impressive. Has lots of power to spare. I love the engine brake feature. Got 14mpg going and 12.4mpg coming back. When not pulling i am averaging 15.4 mpg and an told it will get better when broke in. Has about 2000k on as of now.

I can't say anything bad about Dodge or Ford since this is my first diesel. Good luck to all.

don46

First off I own Fords, to say that I've been happy with them all wouldn't be true, the trucks themselves were awesome, but the motors were a bit of a letdown, primarily in fuel mileage dept., one of the posters had a new 6.4 and wasn't happy with the mileage, I can relate to that. Now having said that I have a 2011, it has about 6k miles and minimal driving empty but on those trips I did average 18.5 to 19 mpg, towing mpg is not where I think it should be but I've come to the conclusion that part of it is me (leadfoot) I'm getting about 8.5 towing a 365 RW at between 75-80 mph.

To the original topic or discussion, it seems that Dodge owners rave about the motor, but you don't hear anything about the truck. One of the latest posters talked about how much the Dodge will pull, heck a gas motor will pull alot as well just how fast. my company used to buy Dodges and Chevys, in fact they still do for highway vehicles, but if you get them off road in the oil field they will not hold up, we've had the boxes fall off the frames broken and all sorts of maladies. Don't believe me, turn your truck over to a hand that doesn't own it and you'll find out how well it holds up, I'm sure if you were driving it it would hold up better, but the hands have places to go and things to do and they could tear up a tank, my point in this that given the same circumstances the fords hold up better.

In the end it really doesn't matter its all personal preference, they are all overpriced.

Bighurt

First off I own Fords, to say that I've been happy with them all wouldn't be true, the trucks themselves were awesome, but the motors were a bit of a letdown, primarily in fuel mileage dept., one of the posters had a new 6.4 and wasn't happy with the mileage, I can relate to that. Now having said that I have a 2011, it has about 6k miles and minimal driving empty but on those trips I did average 18.5 to 19 mpg, towing mpg is not where I think it should be but I've come to the conclusion that part of it is me (leadfoot) I'm getting about 8.5 towing a 365 RW at between 75-80 mph.

To the original topic or discussion, it seems that Dodge owners rave about the motor, but you don't hear anything about the truck. One of the latest posters talked about how much the Dodge will pull, heck a gas motor will pull alot as well just how fast. my company used to buy Dodges and Chevys, in fact they still do for highway vehicles, but if you get them off road in the oil field they will not hold up, we've had the boxes fall off the frames broken and all sorts of maladies. Don't believe me, turn your truck over to a hand that doesn't own it and you'll find out how well it holds up, I'm sure if you were driving it it would hold up better, but the hands have places to go and things to do and they could tear up a tank, my point in this that given the same circumstances the fords hold up better.

In the end it really doesn't matter its all personal preference, they are all overpriced.

Well said, only time you see and oil field guy driving a Dodge up here is when they park their POV at the shop before they jump in the company Ford and head to the field.

lwmcguir

Stopped by the local dealer yesterday to check out the HD 2500 Chevy's. They all had the 6.6 and 6 speed. Noticed they all had 10,000 Max GVW. That is to light for the pin on our Augusta with the normal load we carry which isn't nearly loaded. No water and so on. Can you order them with a higher GVW?

nhunter

Stopped by the local dealer yesterday to check out the HD 2500 Chevy's. They all had the 6.6 and 6 speed. Noticed they all had 10,000 Max GVW. That is to light for the pin on our Augusta with the normal load we carry which isn't nearly loaded. No water and so on. Can you order them with a higher GVW?
That is not bad for a 3/4 ton. My 06 F-350 SRW is only good for 11,400lbs.

nscaler2

Fords track record with the 5r100 5 speed transmission puts it right there with the venerable Allison.

Regards

Well, I wouldn't give you 5 cents for the 5r100. I am on my second one right now. The first gave out at 28000 miles and I currently have 59000 miles on the truck now. This second one is beginning to have the same symptoms that the first one had. I am NOT overloaded with my 3055rl (have the CAT scales tickets to prove it.) The truck is out of warranty by one month now and I refuse to spend thousands to have a third bad transmission put in. Am crossing my fingers that it will get me home before it goes out again. Think I will trade it for a new GMC 3500. NOW MORE JUNK FORDS.

ricatic

nscaler

Sorry to hear you are having issues with your 5r100. Unfortunately, you are in the minority. The 5r100 has had an extremely successful run. Problems have been few and there have been no recurring issues. Guys are running 500 hp through them reliably. Allison has its lemons too.

Regards

PUG

Pug
Pulling a 3950 with my 09 Ram Cummins short box dually mega cab Laramie. Love the truck and am in love the motor like a good woman.(not finiky) World of difference from my Chev Duramax single rear tire ext cab.

porthole

Retired
Duane, did I read this correctly - you drove a new F-350 yesterday. Thinking about a dually? 19.5 wheels are cheaper

Jim - yes you read correctly. We are giving serious consideration to a more capable TV. 19.5's alone will not solve the main issue.

The limitations are evident mostly in hills. The Nashville trip and a recent West Virginia and NE Penna trip in the mountainous area (and these are really only hills compared to where we want to go in the next year or so) have led us down this dark path.

Trailer tires are now more then sufficient for the Cyclone weight.
Trailer springs are now more then sufficient for the Cyclone weight.
It is the truck that is now the weak link.