Latest Mod

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I finally tiled the bed platform this afternoon. Went to Lowe's, got a box of self-stick tiles, some primer and went at it. Wrestling the mattress off and back on was a trip, but now even the wife can slide the mattress around without a strain. Next order of business is to get some wood corner trim and cover the edges.

SilverRhino

I've read where others have also done this mod.....Thought about doing the same, but DW wondered if the mattress wouldn't slide too easily.

Has anyone experienced the mattress sliding around while traveling?

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Was the first thing we did with our new LM. The bed does not slide unless pushed. This mod works great.

jpajax

You can put small strips of rubber shelf liner at the bottom of of bed on top of tiles to keep mattress from moving. I have not personally had that problem. Just a thought.:)

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I have done this on both our rigs and the mattress does not move. Of course, depending on your floor plan I guess that could happen. When our bedroom slide is closed the mattress is against the dresser. I think this is a good thing to do for little cost.

Peace
Dave

Attachments

• Bed Tile.jpg
    Bed Tile.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 189

floridarandy

I finally tiled the bed platform this afternoon. Went to Lowe's, got a box of self-stick tiles, some primer and went at it. Wrestling the mattress off and back on was a trip, but now even the wife can slide the mattress around without a strain. Next order of business is to get some wood corner trim and cover the edges.

John...what was the primer for? Did you paint the wood first?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Erika, it makes it a lot easier to change the sheets or make the bed. The mattress will be able to slide easily away from the headboard.

Peace
Dave

grizzlygiant

Most flooring companirs have scrap vinyl flooring at near $0. It is easy to install with just a few nails to hold it in place.

SilverRhino

While looking at the responses to the OP......looked over at the wife and asked her how hard it was to change the sheets on the bed in the trailer. I cannot use the words that she used to describe it! Told her about this thread and her only comment was....."Why haven't you done that?"

Good news is......Now I know what to do with the extra tile that I have in the garage!! Thanks to all....

Travel Safe!

mmomega

AnyTimer
Don't worry Erika at first I was wondering the same thing but the more I think about it, it makes sense. Any idea that makes life easier while on the road is good in my book.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Well, what fun is THAT? Mattress Wrestling is one of my hobbies! LOL! Not really. I guess since we still have the original wimpy 5" mattress, it's not too hard. plus, DH helps! ;) Great Mod tho!

Erika

mmomega

AnyTimer
LOL, when I asked Glenda if changing the sheets was rough she said, " not really since you always help me and you're on the closet side, so no not too bad."

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The latex primer is made for sealing porous surfaces, like wood underlayment. Without it, self-stick tiles may not adhere well, especially to the not exactly uniform chip board surface of the platform. No, I did not paint it first, just painted on the primer. It goes on milk white and dries clear in about an hour. It gives a little tack to the surface. When I tiled the house, I used the primer, then an application of thin-set contact cement (for tiles), then the self-stick tiles. But a floor is exposed and does not have continuous weight. I also had to roll it with a 100 lb. roller. The bed platform will have a constant weight on it, so the extra glue and rolling were not necessary (I hope). If tiles do come loose, I've got glue left over from the house project and can reset them.

In the 3670, the mattress is trapped by the slide walls and the dresser while in transit. Not likely that it will shift around. It still takes a little effort to pull it out of the slide, but it's way easier than it was.