Leaking hydraulic fluid

Rodbuster

Just used my 6-point leveling system for the first time yesterday. The rear jack (doorside) was leaking fluid badly. Didn't notice it until I had quite a puddle on the floor.
The leak was coming from a 3/16 allen plug located at the very top of the jack leg. I don't know what it is or what is does.

I hooked up my truck and raised all of the legs. I was hoping that this would take all of the pressure out of the system. It did, with only a couple of drops leaking out.
I removed the plug. It's only a metal plug (about 1/2 inch long) with an O-ring under the head. I inspected the O-ring and it seemed to have a "very slight" rough spot on it. I'm hoping that is the problem but it seems hard to believe that such a small burr or rough spot could cause that leak.

I called customer service and they set me up to call Lippert this morning. If Lippert will send me a new plug, I'll pay them to overnight it to my home....we are planning on leaving on our first trip with our new Grand Canyon this weekend.

Does anybody have any thoughts or ideas?
Dick

Attachments

• DSC02894.JPG
    DSC02894.JPG
    578 KB · Views: 73
  • DSC02896.JPG
    DSC02896.JPG
    471.5 KB · Views: 71
  • DSC02897.JPG
    DSC02897.JPG
    515 KB · Views: 67

donr827

Since you are in a hurry you might try a local hydraulic or rv repair shop in your town. They may have some in stock. Could not cost very much.
Don

TedS

It is a common o-ring straight thread plug. It apparently is being used to plug an unused port on the hydraulic cylinder. It could be used as a plug for a port used to bleed air from the system. Under pressure, a small leak can loose a lot of fluid. Don't forget to top up your hydraulic fluid reservoir. You may find an o-ring in a hydraulic repair shop or auto parts store. Make sure the surface the o-ring seals against is clean and burr free.

Theresau

I don't think you'll have to pay for the overnight - just explain the situation and they will send overnight. That's been our experience (haven't tried such with Lippert).

Just used my 6-point leveling system for the first time yesterday. The rear jack (doorside) was leaking fluid badly. Didn't notice it until I had quite a puddle on the floor.
The leak was coming from a 3/16 allen plug located at the very top of the jack leg. I don't know what it is or what is does.

I hooked up my truck and raised all of the legs. I was hoping that this would take all of the pressure out of the system. It did, with only a couple of drops leaking out.
I removed the plug. It's only a metal plug (about 1/2 inch long) with an O-ring under the head. I inspected the O-ring and it seemed to have a "very slight" rough spot on it. I'm hoping that is the problem but it seems hard to believe that such a small burr or rough spot could cause that leak.

I called customer service and they set me up to call Lippert this morning. If Lippert will send me a new plug, I'll pay them to overnight it to my home....we are planning on leaving on our first trip with our new Grand Canyon this weekend.

Does anybody have any thoughts or ideas?
Dick

Rodbuster

A big A+ for both Heartland and Lippert customer service.
Erik, at Heartland customer called Lippert and made them aware of my problem. He then instructed me to call Lippert in the morning (yesterday) with a reference number.
I called Lippert yesterday morning and spoke to Don in customer service, gave him the reference number and made him aware that we were planning on leaving Sunday for our first trip in our new Grand Canyon and that I would be willing to pay for next day delivery.

He said, "Dick, this is what we'll do". I'm going to send you 4 of these plugs and we'll take care of the shipping....WooHoo

I received the plugs this morning (about 9:45), installed a new one, tested the system and by 10:10 AM I had NO LEAKS....WooHoo.
I called Erik at Heartland and I also left a message for Don at Lippert thanking them very much for working with me and helping me out.
You just "can't" get better customer than that.

Leaving for Sevierville, TN. Sunday for about a week then on to the Georgia Rally and then from there we're off to the Tennessee Rally.

Looking forward to seeing many of our friends.
Dick

Theresau

We have worked with Erik multiple times. He has always been very courteous and immediately responsive and has sent us whatever was needed - at times we received overnight.

A big A+ for both Heartland and Lippert customer service.
Erik, at Heartland customer called Lippert and made them aware of my problem. He then instructed me to call Lippert in the morning (yesterday) with a reference number.
I called Lippert yesterday morning and spoke to Don in customer service, gave him the reference number and made him aware that we were planning on leaving Sunday for our first trip in our new Grand Canyon and that I would be willing to pay for next day delivery.

He said, "Dick, this is what we'll do". I'm going to send you 4 of these plugs and we'll take care of the shipping....WooHoo

I received the plugs this morning (about 9:45), installed a new one, tested the system and by 10:10 AM I had NO LEAKS....WooHoo.
I called Erik at Heartland and I also left a message for Don at Lippert thanking them very much for working with me and helping me out.
You just "can't" get better customer than that.

Leaving for Sevierville, TN. Sunday for about a week then on to the Georgia Rally and then from there we're off to the Tennessee Rally.

Looking forward to seeing many of our friends.
Dick