Leaking shower door

JudyT

Water is leaking from the bottom of the shower door on my 2011 3355RL. Is anyone having this problem? Do you have a solution?

goodtruck

I had that happen on our 2010 Eagle Ridge.On ours it was really not the door but the panel next to it that made it look like the door.I removed the entire enclosure and cleaned the area and then resealed it out it back together and have not had a problem since(almost 2 years).

Bobby A

Water is leaking from the bottom of the shower door on my 2011 3355RL. Is anyone having this problem? Do you have a solution?

I've had water leaks in the shower for a very long time. At the rally the company that supplys Heartland with the shower enclosures was there doing a seminar. I explained my situation to them and they came over to the trailer and found that one of the panels was not snapped into place and there was no set screw to hold it once they snapped it back. They fixed it and showed me some weak points where to use clear sylicone caulk. I have been leak free, knock on wood !! O BTW, they say to only caulk from the outside, never on the inside of the shower.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I've had water leaks in the shower for a very long time. At the rally the company that supplys Heartland with the shower enclosures was there doing a seminar. I explained my situation to them and they came over to the trailer and found that one of the panels was not snapped into place and there was no set screw to hold it once they snapped it back. They fixed it and showed me some weak points where to use clear sylicone caulk. I have been leak free, knock on wood !! O BTW, they say to only caulk from the outside, never on the inside of the shower.

Bobby, I heard that too, but they never really explained why. I caulked mine along the inside seams and it's been leak free for three summer seasons. When we got it, you could shine a light under the wall and see it inside the shower. WHY trap the water under the shower wall??

Bobby A

Bobby, I heard that too, but they never really explained why. I caulked mine along the inside seams and it's been leak free for three summer seasons. When we got it, you could shine a light under the wall and see it inside the shower. WHY trap the water under the shower wall??

Yea John, I think we all were dumb founded when he said to caulk from the outside. If I recall his explanation was that if you caulk inside it might pool and run under as upposed to drain back into the shower pan.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Yea John, I think we all were dumb founded when he said to caulk from the outside. If I recall his explanation was that if you caulk inside it might pool and run under as upposed to drain back into the shower pan.

Hmmm. Caulking along the inside edges, standing inside the shower forces water to drain down the glass and back to the drain. Essentially, you've created a dam along that edge. Caulking along the outside edges would allow water to pool under the glass walls and possibly stay there. It looks like the installer might be running a bead of caulk along the surround where the frame is to sit, but it's either not enough or hit/miss on the bead continuity. There were also comments about screws being driven through the frame into the surround walls and base. Not where you want water to collect.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
The only concern I would have caulking the outside and not inside is, any water making in under the frame would/could penetrate the screw holes that hold the frame base to the fiberglass. Mine had 2 screws holding the frame in position. I wonder if they are supposed to be mounted using a silicone "bed" that the frame would set in and no screws.

I actually cleaned and re-caulked ours a few days ago. Something I've been wanting to do for the last year or so. Not for any leaks but for a few mold spots in the old silicone. I caulked the inside and the outside.

Bobby A

The only concern I would have caulking the outside and not inside is, any water making in under the frame would/could penetrate the screw holes that hold the frame base to the fiberglass. Mine had 2 screws holding the frame in position. I wonder if they are supposed to be mounted using a silicone "bed" that the frame would set in and no screws.

I actually cleaned and re-caulked ours a few days ago. Something I've been wanting to do for the last year or so. Not for any leaks but for a few mold spots in the old silicone. I caulked the inside and the outside.

If I recall, the guy at the rally said that these systems are designed to NOT have any screws in the bottom frame where it screws to the base. Mine also has 2 screws. I wonder if these suppliers ever hold any training sessions for the installers at the plant??

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
If I recall, the guy at the rally said that these systems are designed to NOT have any screws in the bottom frame where it screws to the base. Mine also has 2 screws. I wonder if these suppliers ever hold any training sessions for the installers at the plant??
My guess is they use screws for extra security while bouncing down the road??? I hear ya though, makes you wonder...