Level-up Hydraulic Leveling System

So we are new to the Level-up System and it is wonderful for leveling the trailer. However, it is a little scary. I'm afraid of pushing the wrong button and dropping our 5th Wheel to the ground by accident. Here's the issue: we leveled the trailer when we arrived a week ago. However, we've noticed that the unit is no longer lever. It is angling to the side opposite the door and towards the front. So the question is: can we simply select "Auto Level" or do we have to manually raise that side and front of the trailer with those particular buttons? Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Stacie

DocFather

I have never used the auto-level function. The manual function works best for me and it only takes 2-3 minutes at the most. I am sure someone will chime in about the possibility of a leak and how to diagnose it.

porthole

Retired
Turn on your level up
Scroll though the menu to "manual", hit enter
Press the retract button on the lower left (red light illuminates)
Press the button for the rear jacks and raise them all the way

Now push auto level. The front jacks will retract a bit first to get a start point (lowering the front end), then they will extend and go through the normal leveling function.

Or, learn how to just use the manual feature to do "adjustments".

Like Doc, I use manual most of time to set our trailer.

You may or may not have to turn off and back on the Level Up after raising the rear jacks and before pressing auto level.

You can always stop the auto function immediately by pressing any button when auto leveling.

I have never used the auto-level function. The manual function works best for me and it only takes 2-3 minutes at the most. I am sure someone will chime in about the possibility of a leak and how to diagnose it.

Oh please don't say leak. That is the last thing I need after all the other problems we're having with our brand new trailer!

Turn on your level up
Scroll though the menu to "manual", hit enter
Press the retract button on the lower left (red light illuminates)
Press the button for the rear jacks and raise them all the way

Now push auto level. The front jacks will retract a bit first to get a start point (lowering the front end), then they will extend and go through the normal leveling function.

Or, learn how to just use the manual feature to do "adjustments".

Like Doc, I use manual most of time to set our trailer.

You may or may not have to turn off and back on the Level Up after raising the rear jacks and before pressing auto level.

You can always stop the auto function immediately by pressing any button when auto leveling.

Just tried this and although it helped level out a little it did not level out completely. I guess we are going to have to find our level and try leveling manually.

Take a look at these videos on Youtube. The first one is the basic operation of the level up system. (This is what I found when I purchased the RV with the level up system) Once you use the system a few times you become accustomed to it quickly and I honestly love mine. It's nice to disconnect the truck ( pull it out of the way) and press the auto level while you connect everything up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJLFoZfY1Hs

This video is the manual mode, set up calibration and troubleshooting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMStlSAv9D4

Good luck with your system and in time you will love it and wonder how you managed without it.

So has anyone heard anything about when leveling if the wheels come off the ground. We were told never to have the full weight of the trailer on the jacks, however, that was for a standard manual system. Is it the same for the Lippert System? I know when we first leveled it had the right side wheels off the ground by about three to four inches. So we moved the trailer over and that helped, but honestly the ground here is fairly level. Does having the wheels on one side off the ground put too much stress on the frame and/or jacks?

Thanks,

Stacie

danemayer

So has anyone heard anything about when leveling if the wheels come off the ground. We were told never to have the full weight of the trailer on the jacks, however, that was for a standard manual system. Is it the same for the Lippert System? I know when we first leveled it had the right side wheels off the ground by about three to four inches. So we moved the trailer over and that helped, but honestly the ground here is fairly level. Does having the wheels on one side off the ground put too much stress on the frame and/or jacks?

Thanks,

Stacie
Hi Stacie,

We've had that happen occasionally with our 4 point levelup system. It seems to happen when the site slopes both front to rear and side-to-side. First time it happened the off-door-side wheels were up about 2 inches. I auto-leveled a 2nd time thinking it screwed up. Did the same thing. Then I tried to manually level and got the same results - twice. Auto-leveled a 3rd time and got the same results again.

Btw, I usually just manually level now. I always lift the back a little and take some of the weight off the wheels. I'll sometimes leave it that way for several months at a time.

Thanks Dan, I think we are going to try the manual leveling again tomorrow. Just concerned that the slant/lean seems to be getting worse over the last few days. It's good to know that we can have the wheels off the ground. I wonder what the difference is between the old systems and this new one. Thanks again.

Stacie

porthole

Retired
Does having the wheels on one side off the ground put too much stress on the frame and/or jacks?

Thanks,

Stacie

No, the system is designed to put equal stress on the trailer. The only time it can cause an unequal load is if for some reason one of your jacks has bottomed out but the other 3 have not.

For example, there is a deep depression behind the right side rear wheel.The level up extends the jacks and the right rear jack bottoms out, but is not lifting the trailer. The sensor is looking for "level", not jack pressure, so the system may continue to extend the right front jack, raising the trailer in the middle only. That would not be good.

Another time you may twist the trailer a bit is if you extend the front jacks all the way. On our trailer, one jack will lift about 1/2' to 1" more on one side. I'm guessing when the mounting pads were welded in they were not equal heights.

Just tried this and although it helped level out a little it did not level out completely. I guess we are going to have to find our level and try leveling manually.

The odds are very good your trailer never had the Level Up calibrated for "level"
It is very easy to do and the instructions are in your manual. The only tool you need is a good level, 4-6' work well, but a 2 footer will do.

Once you calibrate he LevelUp you can use the auto level feature to get back to that setting, or, you can use the manual mode and watch the display and level the trailer that way.

Hippy

First and foremost. When you raise the front and unhitch the trailer, move your truck out clearing the pin box/front cap.
I've experience when you press the auto level, the front comes down, like in all the way down. Then it raises up leveling followed by the other jacks. If for what ever reason an emergency arises and you need to stop, just continue to press any of the buttons and the system will abort. To restart, turn the system off then turn it on and start over by pressing the auto level. I've experienced this more than once not being familiar with the system.
I carry 6 pieces of 4x6 cut 24 inches in my truck. It's become routine to put them under each jack unless I see that I am on really uneven ground then I only use them as needed so my jacks won't overly extend. With time you'll be able to see where you will need them. My last trip 2 weeks ago, I was on really uneven ground where my front jacks bottom out and the system wasn't doing anything so I stop the system. I then new the auto leveling system wasn't going to work so I attempted to manually level the system. I got it close enough (1%) off. I've also experience were one side of my wheels where slightly of the ground for a little over a week with no problems. Now I'm comfortable and love it. It works great.

jnbhobe

I move my rig out of storage yesterday leveled it up in my parking lot and the right side is 6 inches off the ground

SeattleLion

Take a look at these videos on Youtube. The first one is the basic operation of the level up system. (This is what I found when I purchased the RV with the level up system) Once you use the system a few times you become accustomed to it quickly and I honestly love mine. It's nice to disconnect the truck ( pull it out of the way) and press the auto level while you connect everything up.

The wheels regularly come a bit off the ground with our 6-point system. You can retract the rear jacks by turning the system on, press "Retract" and Up. They will go up. Then just press autolevel and you will be releveled. Nothing complex about it at all.

Lindstrom1950

We have a 2014 Landmark with a 6 point hydraulic leveling system and have recently experienced the following:

When auto leveling we use blocks on all points so jacks don't totally extend, (doing this has gotten rid of cracking sounds) and no problems have been detected. However, when retracting (by pressing the retract and back buttons) it begins to retract the middle and back jacks, but the display reads low voltage and shuts off. We then turn the leveling system on again and retract again, it works for a little bit and again displays low voltage and shuts off. We have checked the output voltage of the brand new batteries and the reading seems ok. We noticed this happens whether hooked to power or not. Is this a purple monkey and how do we fix it? Thanks for your suggestions.

danemayer

We have a 2014 Landmark with a 6 point hydraulic leveling system and have recently experienced the following:

When auto leveling we use blocks on all points so jacks don't totally extend, (doing this has gotten rid of cracking sounds) and no problems have been detected. However, when retracting (by pressing the retract and back buttons) it begins to retract the middle and back jacks, but the display reads low voltage and shuts off. We then turn the leveling system on again and retract again, it works for a little bit and again displays low voltage and shuts off. We have checked the output voltage of the brand new batteries and the reading seems ok. We noticed this happens whether hooked to power or not. Is this a purple monkey and how do we fix it? Thanks for your suggestions.

Hi Lindstrom1950,

Make sure battery terminals are clean and connectors tight. Also check for tight connections at the hydraulic pump. Take a look at the 12V DC Mini-circuit breakers near the battery. They may be covered by red-rubber boots. Check that the mounting nuts are tight.

Attachments

• Buss Bar Example Notated.jpg
    Buss Bar Example Notated.jpg
    477.3 KB · Views: 29

jbeletti

Ah John - a Purple Monkey! Somone has attended Terry Cooper's Electrical seminar :)

I'm no expert on this. I believe you are in warm weather, so thick oil is not likely a contributor.

The likely issue is high-current draw. The cause of the over-current is the question.

Since you mentioned you have new batteries, that can likely be ruled out. Some items to consider:
- Are the batteries are getting a decent charge from the Converter?
- Are hot and ground connections in the hydraulics system nice and tight
- Is the manual resetting mini circuit breaker tripped? (the one that connects the converter to the DC bus)
- Is the breaker that protects the hydraulic circuit getting week and in need of replacement?

In addition to great forum responses you'll likely get, also consider a quick call to Lippert in the morning.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
John, or Alina, a couple of things that seems to be pretty common are, a bad ground somewhere or the breaker for the hydraulic pump is weak.
A little investigation might turn up a bad ground, and the breaker is a two minute replacement costing about $10.
It's probably worth the $10 investment to rule that out.
If these things are not found to be faulty I would give a call to Lippert.

Peace
Dave