Leveler Breaker Size?

sbhoward

I have the Lippert 6 point leveler. Had problems with it stalling and starting. Dealer said it was wired to the wrong sized breaker ( 30 amp) and was tripping and resetting. Makes sense. But what they did was install a new 80AMP Marine Breaker. I find it hard to believe that Heartland did not have the right sized breaker somewhere in the array of beakers. The dealer now has a new line direct from battery to the breaker, and from the breaker to the Lippert system. I worry about it being excessive.

Background: I posted earlier of having an issue with no 12v when not on shore power. With the help of the forum and testing on my own, I discovered they had wired it wrong at the dealer when in for other work. So I really don't trust the dealers electrical experience.

So question is, what sized breaker is your Lippert 6 point system wired to? 30amp, 50 amp, or ???

Thanks

danemayer

Heartland installs the auto-leveling system with a 50 amp auto-reset breaker, historically located on the buss bar near the batteries. Some people have replaced it with an 80 amp breaker. At one time Lippert had a Tech Sheet suggesting an 80 amp breaker if you were having problems with the 50 amp breaker tripping.

The question underlying the choice of breaker size is whether you're masking another problem. The classic tale comes to mind of the homeowner who tires of replacing fuses and instead uses a penny.

Some possible causes of the 50 amp breaker tripping are:

• Weak breaker
  • Loose or dirty connections /terminals at the batteries or at the hydraulic pump
  • A weak battery - low voltage
  • Poor ground connection
  • A bind in the system

Will an 80 amp breaker cause you a problem? Probably not. But if the new breaker trips, you'll need to start looking for the root cause of the problem.

TedS

The hydraulic pump motor draws over 70 amps. The 50 amp will tolerate that only so long before it says "uncle".

sbhoward

Thanks, Dan! Lots of help, as usual.

That was exactly why I wanted to ask. I didn't want to hide bigger problems.

IronJ

Just replaced Mine today...it was a 50. I put a new 50 in.
...slides run great so far..

I got 3 more breakers in my tool box now as well...

Lol

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish

chrizg

Mine was tripping when bringing the jacks up, and the dealer said it was wired incorrectly. Here are the dealer notes

Tested with meter and the system was drawing close to 60 amps. Replaced main 50 amp breaker and found that the control panel was wired to the breaker side and switched that over to the battery side saving about 8 amps or so preventing the main breaker from tripping.