Lift system surprise

Gandalf

I'm new to 5th wheeling and recently bought a Bighorn 5th wheel with a 6 point Levelup Lippert lift system. I read in the owners manual that I should move my RV at least every 3 mo to prevent flat spotting of the tires. Since my storage lot was snowy and muddy in spots I decided to use the lift system to raise the coach, spin the tires 180 degrees and then lower the coach. For safety, I did hitch up to my truck first and raise the front jacks. I then raised the rear of the coach with the four rear jacks simultaneously. My storage spot seems flat but the two tires on the right side lifted first. I was able to spin the tires 180 degrees with no problem. As I continued lifting the coach the left side tires cleared the ground but as they did the left rear wheel made a mechanical popping sound and appeared to wobble. I was able to spin the tires 180 degrees but the left rear wheel made a light scrapping sound as I turned it. The front left wheel turned with no problem. As I lowered the coach the front left wheel made a similar mechanical popping sound when it touched the ground and it to appeared to wobble. Could the popping and wobbling be caused by the shocks or the leaf springs? I'm sure hoping I did not cause some damage by doing this?

jimtoo

Hi Gandalf,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

If it's been setting for a while I would bet that the noise was just from the springs and shackles moving. But when it warms up and you can get it moved and lifted again you might ask for a little help from someone to get their opinion if your not sure of the noise.

Be sure and check out our Heartland Owners Club. Join us at a rally when you can and meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

Bones

Since you said you heard noise when you rotated the tire my suggestion would be to raise the left side again. Grab a hold of the tire and check it for movement in and out to make sure the bearings don't have an issue. Also check to make sure the shackles didn't flip over by accident. Sometimes the sound can come from your brakes dragging a bit or the magnet. If all else fails you'll probably want to pull the wheel and hub to perform an inspection.

Piperflyer

You might of had one or all of your shackles reverse themselves. Had this happen to me when I jacked the rig to high. Don't tow the RV till they are back in the right position if this is the case.

danemayer

Here's what the suspension normally looks like. If your shackle links are not oriented this way relative to the leaf springs, the noise was from them flipping.

Attachments

• dexter ezflex.jpg
    dexter ezflex.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 156

Lou_and_Bette

The "light scraping" when spinning the left rear wheel may be the brake shoes dragging a bit. When I adjust my brakes, that is the the sound I am looking for.

Gandalf

To go with danemayer picture. Here is what mine looked like when they flippedView attachment 49417

Thanks everyone for the great comments. I checked out my shackle positions today and you were right on the money. My passenger-side shackle position is similar to the pic you posted: one side has the leaf spring joint that is above the equalizer joint but the other side has the leaf spring joint below the equalizer joint. On the driver-side, both leaf spring joints are above the corresponding equalizer joint; however, the driver-side leaf spring joint opposite the one that is flipped on the passenger-side is just barely above the equalizer joint. I'm glad you warned me not to move the RV in this condition (Thank you!). How were you able to flip the shackle back to the correct position? Is that something I can do? I'm guessing it can be a bit dangerous. I will check the bearings and brakes as suggested once I solve the shackle problem. Thanks again for all your help!

Piperflyer

I used a bottle jack to lift the leaf spring where the shackle and leaf spring join. This will rotate your shackle back in the upright position. Once you get past the 3 o'clock position with the shackle it will drop back into the correct position by itself. In the left picture below you will only have to jack the right shackle to get it in the correct position. You will have to shore up your jack if it doesn't have enough height to lift the shackle. It also might want to slip off the spring when you force it up so be careful. There might be another way to fix this, but that is how I did it. Good Luck.
Keep this in the back of your mind what happens when you jack the rig to high. Let us know how you make out.

View attachment 49471 View attachment 49472

danemayer

As you use the auto-leveler to raise the rig, the suspension relaxes and the shackle links move from vertical toward a horizontal position. If you raise both sides some, and then raise the flipped side a little more, it should be easier to get the flipped link back into position with the bottle jack as Piperflyer mentioned.

Make sure the rig is stable and be very careful where you place your body. If something moves suddenly, you don't want to be in the way.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We had this happen on a trip. We used bottle jacks and the level up and maybe a crowbar to rectify it. I googled it, may have found a video, I can't recall. Do be very careful, it will move with some force.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gandalf

As you use the auto-leveler to raise the rig, the suspension relaxes and the shackle links move from vertical toward a horizontal position. If you raise both sides some, and then raise the flipped side a little more, it should be easier to get the flipped link back into position with the bottle jack as Piperflyer mentioned.

Make sure the rig is stable and be very careful where you place your body. If something moves suddenly, you don't want to be in the way.

Thanks for explaining how the shackles respond to the auto level. I wondered why my shackles looked more relaxed than the 5th wheel parked next to me at the storage lot. I'm a bit nervous about this so just to be clear, you are saying 1) auto-level the coach, 2) slightly raise both sides of the coach simultaneously a little more without lifting off of the ground, 3) raise the flipped side of the coach a little more without lifting off of the ground to further relax the problem shackle, and 4) use the bottle jack to pop the joint back into position? I'm assuming that as long as the rig is stable, and I don't lift the tires off of the ground, I don't need safety jacks on the frame (as long as I choose my position wisely) is that true? I appreciate all the help with this!

BigGuy82

I'm new to 5th wheeling and recently bought a Bighorn 5th wheel with a 6 point Levelup Lippert lift system. I read in the owners manual that I should move my RV at least every 3 mo to prevent flat spotting of the tires. Since my storage lot was snowy and muddy in spots I decided to use the lift system to raise the coach, spin the tires 180 degrees and then lower the coach. For safety, I did hitch up to my truck first and raise the front jacks. I then raised the rear of the coach with the four rear jacks simultaneously. My storage spot seems flat but the two tires on the right side lifted first. I was able to spin the tires 180 degrees with no problem. As I continued lifting the coach the left side tires cleared the ground but as they did the left rear wheel made a mechanical popping sound and appeared to wobble. I was able to spin the tires 180 degrees but the left rear wheel made a light scrapping sound as I turned it. The front left wheel turned with no problem. As I lowered the coach the front left wheel made a similar mechanical popping sound when it touched the ground and it to appeared to wobble. Could the popping and wobbling be caused by the shocks or the leaf springs? I'm sure hoping I did not cause some damage by doing this?

Try these:

https://www.amazon.com/Auto-Care-Pr...1485287241&sr=1-3&keywords=flat+stoppers&th=1

I use them on my 'vette and never had a problem. Instead of the weight being targeted on one small spot, the weight is spread over an arc. I also increase tire pressure 10 lbs over max - won't hurt but don't drive it like this.

While it's good to know how to fix a flipped shackle, it's better to avoid it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Piperflyer

I retracted my stable Jack's before I jacked mine. If they're down you're defeating the axle coming back down on the wheels.

danemayer

just to be clear, you are saying 1) auto-level the coach, 2) slightly raise both sides of the coach simultaneously a little more without lifting off of the ground, 3) raise the flipped side of the coach a little more without lifting off of the ground to further relax the problem shackle, and 4) use the bottle jack to pop the joint back into position? I'm assuming that as long as the rig is stable, and I don't lift the tires off of the ground, I don't need safety jacks on the frame (as long as I choose my position wisely) is that true? I appreciate all the help with this!

Actually, I think you want to not auto-level, but rather be hitched to the truck with a truck wheel chocked. Leave the front landing gear retracted. Weight is on the hitch and the trailer wheels.

Then raise the rear jacks to take weight off the wheels and relax the suspension. Keep the tires on the ground. Weight is now on the hitch and rear jacks.

Then raise the problem side a bit more until the shackles are almost horizontal. Ok if the wheels come off the ground a little. Weight is still on the hitch and rear jacks.

Then pop the shackles into proper place. If the shackles are nearly horizontal, it should take much.

If the other side is grounded and you're hitched to the truck, I don't see why you'd need jacks under the frame.

BigGuy82

Try these:

https://www.amazon.com/Auto-Care-Pr...1485287241&sr=1-3&keywords=flat+stoppers&th=1

I use them on my 'vette and never had a problem. Instead of the weight being targeted on one small spot, the weight is spread over an arc. I also increase tire pressure 10 lbs over max - won't hurt but don't drive it like this.

Thanks for the tip, I will take a look at these for next Winter.

I forgot that I left this post for you. Since that time, I saw a different brand of these things that were heavier duty. They were bright orange and they were at one of the RV stores on the net. They were more expensive but they looked very sturdy. If I find them, I'll pass the info along to you. In the meantime, maybe another forum member has this info.

Gandalf

Actually, I think you want to not auto-level, but rather be hitched to the truck with a truck wheel chocked. Leave the front landing gear retracted. Weight is on the hitch and the trailer wheels.

Then raise the rear jacks to take weight off the wheels and relax the suspension. Keep the tires on the ground. Weight is now on the hitch and rear jacks.

Then raise the problem side a bit more until the shackles are almost horizontal. Ok if the wheels come off the ground a little. Weight is still on the hitch and rear jacks.

Then pop the shackles into proper place. If the shackles are nearly horizontal, it should take much.

If the other side is grounded and you're hitched to the truck, I don't see why you'd need jacks under the frame.

Since yesterday was supposed to be the warmest day of the week, I packed up my new bottle jack and jack support materials, and headed out to the RV storage lot with a buddy to take on the flipped shackle. I had auto-leveled my rig before I left last time so step one was to retract the rear stabilizer jacks in order to hitch up to my truck. As I was retracting the lifts, I heard another "bang" and thought "Oh no, not another flipped shackle?" But to my surprise, and great relief, my naughty shackle had healed itself by popping back into the correct position. Boy was I excited and thankful!! Thanks to everyone for their advice on identifying and fixing this problem, I do have one follow-up question though if you will indulge me. How do folks change a flat tire without repeating the shackle problem?

BigGuy82

Since yesterday was supposed to be the warmest day of the week, I packed up my new bottle jack and jack support materials, and headed out to the RV storage lot with a buddy to take on the flipped shackle. I had auto-leveled my rig before I left last time so step one was to retract the rear stabilizer jacks in order to hitch up to my truck. As I was retracting the lifts, I heard another "bang" and thought "Oh no, not another flipped shackle?" But to my surprise, and great relief, my naughty shackle had healed itself by popping back into the correct position. Boy was I excited and thankful!! Thanks to everyone for their advice on identifying and fixing this problem, I do have one follow-up question though if you will indulge me. How do folks change a flat tire without repeating the shackle problem?

Lift it up with the Level-Ups so that the wheels are just touching the ground. Jack the flat up just high enough to pull it with your truck bottle jack.

I never did it :) but I read about it on this forum. Makes sense to me.

Piperflyer

Lift it up with the Level-Ups so that the wheels are just touching the ground. Jack the flat up just high enough to pull it with your truck bottle jack.

Jack the axle that has the flat with your bottle jack. Don't use the level-ups