Light over sink !

1231ChaseB

Hi All ! I have a Cyclone 3912 and would really like to install a light under the kitchen cabinet's close to the sink ! Has anyone done this and if so where did you go to get power for it !
chaseb

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I'm sure it can be done. Is there anything in that area that has 12V to it. Cell phone plug?? Is it close to the stove vent fan?? Both these items are 12V. Go look and report back....2 wires is all you need and a lite of some kind. Most upper cabinets bottoms are hollow.

1231ChaseB

How would a person get the base or bottom of the cupboard out ? There doesn't seem to be any screw's holding it in there ! It really isn't that far from another light but getting the wire from one place to another is a puzzle !
chaseb

Bob&Patty

Chase....not a puzzle at all. Do you own a coat hanger? Remove the existing lite. Take a coat hanger and push it through the existing hole in the direction you want to install the new lite and see how far it goes. If there are not any obstructions, you are good to go. Drill a hole big enough, maybe a 1" hole, where you want the new lite. Then move the coat hanger around until it hits your finger. Pull it through the new hole with new wire that is taped to the CH that is long enough to hook to the old lite wires and leave you plenty of wire to install the new lite. I would use #16 ga wire and some good butt connectors. If you need more help...PM me.

1231ChaseB

That make's sense but the existing light is in another cupboard and there is some framework between them ! Probably not 5 feet away and around a corner but the same set of cupboard's! I need to figure out how to get the false bottom out of cupboard !
chaseb

DC10-FE

I was at Costco yesterday and saw a fix for this very problem. They have a 6-section adjustable strip light bar set for about $30. It looks similar to a "rope-light" setup. The nice thing about it is that it has a wireless light switch that you can attach to the wall and it's a battery operated remote (batteries included). The lights plug into an electrical outlet though. I will post more info when I swing by there today.

Update: just got back from Costco and they actually had two sets of lights. I bought the three spotlight set (item# 473398) for $19.59. I went with these since the remote and lights are all battery operated. I mounted two above the sink and the third directly above the entry door so I can have some entry lighting at night.

Last edited:

Bob&Patty

Chase, I see your problem but is the stove lite/vent close to where you want the lite?? If so you can use those wires to add a lite. DC10 has a good idea though...you can buy lites at Wally-World that work off batteries and you can even set them as a motion sensor lite. They are in the RV section. We bought them and put them in closets. BTW, the sticky stuff does not hold well to wood so use screws to attach the base.