Load testing the Electrical Management Sysem (EMS)?

TxCowboy

Heading out of a PDI on a Landmark 365 Key West. How do you load test the EMS?

My thoughts are to have all three air conditioners turned on. As I understand it, all three air conditioners can be on at the same time. Then toss a cup of water into the microwave and run it on high for about 5 minutes (this should also test the microwave).

The EMS should identify the additional load and turn off one of the ACs until the microwave is finished then it should turn the third AC back on again.

Does this sound correct or should I test this EMS some other way? :confused:

jbeletti

I suggest you run all the big AC power users a few at a time, shut them off and try others. This allows the PCS to capture the last running current of each item. Then go about loading the system up.

Your approach to all 3 ACs at once, then add more items is a good one. The controlled items are:
- AC 1
- AC 2
- AC 3
- Fireplace
- Microwave
- Washer/Dryer
- Water Heater (AC heating rod)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HornedToad

I bought a trailer with a Precision Circuits Power Control System last year. The way I was told it works during my PDI, the way I thought it worked after reading the manual, and they way it really works... were three different ways. A call to the friendly & helpful folks @ Precision Circuits Technical Support http://www.precisioncircuitsinc.com helped me to better understand the systems benefits and limitations.

fredwrichardson

Past New Mexico Chapter Leader
Heading out of a PDI on a Landmark 365 Key West. How do you load test the EMS?

My thoughts are to have all three air conditioners turned on. As I understand it, all three air conditioners can be on at the same time. Then toss a cup of water into the microwave and run it on high for about 5 minutes (this should also test the microwave).

The EMS should identify the additional load and turn off one of the ACs until the microwave is finished then it should turn the third AC back on again.

Does this sound correct or should I test this EMS some other way? :confused:

The system sheds loads if it exceeds the total current of the circuit. A 50 amp service has two legs (L1 and L2) and each one is 50 amps. If you turn on all 3 ACs you will have 2 ACs on one leg and 1 AC on the other. If your microwave is on the circuit with the 1 AC then that is the AC that is going to be shed from the circuit. Also the amps you see on the monitor are what the amps were when the unit was shed. If it is never shed then the number is zero. There is also a 2 minute delay before it will unshed (power up) an AC so you have to be patient. My system has a bug in that on a 30 amp circuit when I try to run 2 ACs it blows a 12 volt fuse. It runs fine with 50 amps.

TxCowboy

Thanks for the comments.

The PDI never really got started. There's was a problem getting shore power to the RV. They disassembled the power cord reel, then the AC breaker box. They finally called out their senior electrical guru who did more troubleshooting and determined it was the main cable that comes in to the back of the breaker box that was bad.

So, maybe next week DW and I can continue the PDI. Maybe...

jbeletti

Thanks for the comments.

The PDI never really got started. There's was a problem getting shore power to the RV. They disassembled the power cord reel, then the AC breaker box. They finally called out their senior electrical guru who did more troubleshooting and determined it was the main cable that comes in to the back of the breaker box that was bad.

Interesting - wonder how the cable could have been bad?? Do you have a generator or the gen prep option? If so, I'd suspect something in the ATS (automatic transfer switch).

TxCowboy

Jim, I really have not idea what specifically isn't working. I wish I had a tenth of the mechanical and electrical so many of you have but, unfortunately, I don't.

No to the gen and yes to the gen prep.

Supposedly, the required part(s) will be in by tomorrow (Friday) so that they can repair the electrical issues and get back to installing the washer, dryer, and dishwasher. Only then can I schedule the PDI.

I think getting the Key West to the coast before the holiday is in jeopardy. We're bring our old unit home on Monday as the trade-in so we may be without an RV over the long weekend. Bummer. :(

danemayer

Thanks for the comments.

I thought the LM 365 comes with a surge protector that's part of the automatic transfer switch (that supports the generator option).

They need to take down the rear wall of the pass-through storage to examine the wiring going to the surge protector (and transfer switch).

And if for some reason their power source was below 105V on L1, the transfer switch won't fire the contactors to pass power to the circuit breaker panel.