Looking at 3670RL

lmcclure

1st Tennessee Member#1084
We have been looking at the Landmark Augusta, and the Big Horn 3670RL. Wife likes the 3670, and I like the Augusta. I am slowly coming back to the 3670. What do any of you like about the 3670 over the Augusta with weight not being a factor. Dealer has both in stock. We have a 3200ES Sundance at present and have house up for sale. DW is going to retire 10/11, we will fulltime in rig and then travel.

ihsolutions

I went through a similar decision process and ended up with the 3670RL. At the end of the day the price difference was too large to ignore, and I didn't feel the upgrades offered by the Augusta justified the price difference.

Regardless what you choose, may I offer one suggestion. Take the "recliner delete" option for a $500 credit and go buy yourself some real chairs. Since you will be living in the unit full time... The leather chairs by Flair are junk IMO and not comfortable.

tweber

Founding Wisconsin Chapter Leader-Retired
Lee and Linda, contact Saukville Bob, Bob and Lynn Schmid, lynro@wi.rr.com, they just took delivery of a new BH 3670 and would be happy to answer your questions. It is a beautiful unit. Best of luck with your selection.

wdk450

This Bighorn versus land mark discussion has been often brought up on this forum. It is somewhat of a moving target as the standard features (particularly on the Bighorn) upgrade over the years. The big question is the difference in price and what you get.

If I had it to do all over, first of all I would ORDER my trailer, not buy an existing one of the lot. I would order a Bighorn 3670RL and hopefully have some of the difference money from not ordering the Landmark to make some upgrades.

Suspension/Pinbox upgrades: A MorRide IS or CenterPoint suspension, disk brakes, MorRide (or AirRide) pinbox upgrade.. Maybe oil bath wheel bearings (get extra bearing fill caps and oil in case of accidental breakage). I would make sure that I am getting DEXTER (or anything but Lippert) axles. Supposedly that is what Heartland is now supplying. If I can't get any other springs than Lippert's, I would buy new, AMERICAN MADE springs ASAP after getting the trailer. Lippert MAY have taken care of their spring problems, but there is no consensus on the forum about this. I would also take a hard look at the tire options. China Bombs - No; Goodyears - Maybe; larger wheels and heaver load range tires - probably. Upgrade to STEEL air nipples, and get a radio signal Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS).

I think that hydraulic landing gear is standard on Bighorns now, otherwise I would order it.

A refrig with larger freezer is handy for fulltiming or longer trips.

The power cord reel is a question whether this is worth $500 to you to save lugging the HEAVY cord from the front to the back of the trailer.

If you are fulltiming you might want a generator so that you can microwave a meal at a rest stop, and have the capability to use campsites without electric power. I personally think that the Boliy 3000 watt 75 pound $1200 generator is a better choice weight and cost wise than the factory built-in Onan unit. Of course with the Boliy you have to have gas for it, plug it into the trailer, and have an extra strong chain and lock to keep it. But you can also use it for power outages at home, and sell it if you feel you don't need it.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:

ihsolutions

I agree with what Bill said. I hadn't even thought about the suspension upgrades. For the cost savings you could get the 3670RL, Mor/Ryde IS, disc brakes, level up system, pin box, etc and still have money left over vs what you would pay for the Augusta. Those are all upgrades worth having, especially if you will be full timing in the unit.

Please don't think that I am a Landmark hater, I think they're great. Just hard to justify the price difference, in my view, for a unit with the exact same floor plan like the Augusta. Now, that new Landmark San Antonio is a different story, especially with the cold weather package they are now offering...

RoadJunkie

Take the "recliner delete" option for a $500 credit and go buy yourself some real chairs. Since you will be living in the unit full time... The leather chairs by Flair are junk IMO and not comfortable.

I agree--although not about the chairs being junk--but the recliners are way too big and non wall-hugging. Oops, I mean the chairs are neat...wanna buy a couple?

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
I can't speak to he Land Mark but we did purchase a 3670 in Aug and have put over 7,000 miles on it so far. To date aside from some minor trim issues we have had no troubles at all. After reading about "China Bomb" tires and Lippert problems I make it a point to inspect these components before and after each days travel and make sure tire pressure is as advised (also keep my weight under max ratings) and so far knock on wood I have no complaints with them either. I've pulled lot's of Goose neck trailers but this is my first 5th wheel. I have the standard pin box with air bags on my TV and I think it pulls great. Feel free to send a private message if you have any questions. I think you would be thrilled with either one. Good luck.