Looking at the F350

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
If you decide on the 2010 Ford please ask for at least $18000 of MSRP. Some are being sold for $24000 under sticker.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Larry.... I'm not so sure that the only difference between an F250 and an F350 is a leaf in the springs! Maybe there is no difference as I haven't looked at the specs for the '10 models but my '08 F350 weighed 1000 lbs more than my '05 F250! Mind you there was a small body style change and the '05 was a short box as opposed to a long box on the F350. But most things like the wheels, brakes, axles, number of lug nuts frame size were bigger on the F350. I do know that I was very happy to have way more truck and the ability to be able to tow more if we upgraded and not worry about getting another truck. Well we just upgraded the trailer and have nothing to worry about so I'm very pleased with that decision! It exemplifies Terry's comments about getting more truck!

Again I'm very happy with my 6.4L! But time is on your side! I'm sure you could find a '10 F350 somewhere at a good price. Maybe look at one coming off a lease. Big savings buying used!! And as I mentioned the '11 GM's look substantial to me (especially the fuel mileage) and with a dually you'll be able to pull just about anything! With the present rig I feel I'm at the limit now. We were looking at the BC3450, the BH3385 and the BH3610 but felt with the SRW we would be pushing it!

Hope this helps with your decision!
The only differiance in F250-F350 is the rear leaf and a higher axle block, 4.5" versis 2.25". Same trans., brakes, engine. Insurance is higher on the F-350. I went with a F 250 so i can have a better ride when unloaded and the use of air bags will allow the truck to be level at all times towing or empty.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
FYI = I towed with a 99 F350 SRW for 10 years. I had no problems except for getting stuck in mud several times. Now we have a 2010 F350 DRW FX4. I feel alot more stable (would not have believed it prior to getting one) and I have used the 4 wheel drive once to get out of a muddy campsite once. I would recommend a dually 4 wheel drive regardless of whatever brand you end up with (although I have partial to Ford)

superduty08

Tennessee Chapter Leaders
I replaced an '03 F350 crew cab, srw, 6.0, 4x4 long bed with an '08 outfitted the same plus camper special package and a few extra handling features. This truck is a dream to drive and has plenty of towing power. As others have said the mileage is nothing to write home about but it's not the reason I bought the truck. It tows great and I feel very secure pulling our 3055. I put a set of Michelin LT2 on it to replace the worn Continentals and it feels even better than before. Good luck with your decission.

jcarnevale

The only differiance in F250-F350 is the rear leaf and a higher axle block, 4.5" versis 2.25". Same trans., brakes, engine. Insurance is higher on the F-350. I went with a F 250 so i can have a better ride when unloaded and the use of air bags will allow the truck to be level at all times towing or empty.

I looked up all part numbers thinking I was going to upgrade my F250 to an F350 and found ALL suspension part numbers were the same.

don46

I've heard all the stories about how the 6.0 got a bad rap, well after 3 turbos 5 oil leaks and then a thirst for coolant at <30,000 it was time to get rid of it so I traded it for a 08 6.4, this truck was never in the shop, never, of course maybe it should have been because that truck never saw double digit mileage empty or towing and routinely was at 5-6 while towing. So after 20 months it was time for it to go, I picked up a 2011 f350 crew cab srw, and as of now I love it, it has about 2900 miles routinely gets 15 around town and 10+ towing, for me this is doubling my mileage and I think it will do better once broke in. the 2011 has a 6 speed auto with tranny breaking capability of course so did the 6.4, the 11 also has an engine brake and the anti sway is NOT the sway bar it is electronic. I was told by my service manager the the 09 and 10 6.4's had some modifications and did get better mileage than the 08. I traded my 08 in and now the rebates on the 10s keep getting better, you can buy as brand new 10 for what they gave me for my 08. At any rate, if it was me, I'd go for the 11, don't get me wrong I liked the 08 but hated the fuel mileage.

I have always been a ford person so good or bad thats where I'll be, and I can't force myself to go over to government motors corp.

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Thanks Don. The 11 I drove was unbeliveable. Power was was stronger than the Duramax but the ride was also very impressive. But as you say, the 10sn are getting stronger discounts right now. I found what I think is a clean 08, but for a few more dollars I can have a new 10.
On top of that, my friend who owns the GMC place here got wind of me window shopping for a Ford. Did not sit well with him. So now he is looking for a 10 GMC for me. On top of that you can get 0% financing on a 10 right now.

One thing on the 11s that is not getting a lot of attention is their transmission. I think it was like the motor, a new design from the ground up. If I was looking at an 11, I would feel a little more comfortable with a longer warranty on the trans.

That is just what I need-something else to else to consider. You know it was so much easier buying trucks when they were all work trucks for the business.
Color was always white and which one is the cheapest.

Dave012

Larry,

I haven't had any problems with my 2010. The power in the 6.4 has been great and has handled the mountains just fine.

I don't have any sway problems pulling with it, and the 2010 has an anti sway program built into it which uses the truck and trailer brakes. Maybe for 2011 it has been refined, but I haven't had any problems in the 2010.

I agree that you can get some pretty incredible savings out there on the 2010. On a different thread I had posted some comments on what I did when buying mine, but it saved me a bundle to go through www.carcostcanada.com which I'm sure you have something similar in the US. You can buy a lot of diesel with the money you can save.

Good luck with your decision.

SouthernNights

Dave, you are right about the sway control. I think it is more for pulling a conventional trailer and to keep you from fishtailing than an actual sway control with a sway bar for the truck.
With the advent of computer controlled brakes, this type of control is becoming SOP. I am not sure yet about the Fords, but I know in 09 you could not disengage it on the GMCs.
Our Armada does have the ability to disengage it.

Ford also has a Traction Control which cuts down the power on the engine in case you start spinning the tires. That I know can be disengaged.

SouthernNights

Just wanted to thank everyone who posted their opinion and advice here.

Here is the result:
IMAG0544.jpg

2010 F 350 Lariat 4 X 4 with a 6.4l.

I have always been a little bit of a GM fan but I have to tell you this Ford is pretty impressive. Drove it home today about 250 miles, rode like a baby carriage.

Thanks again for everyones advice.

SouthernNights

Thanks guys, it may not the be the fanciest truck out there but it is definately the nicest truck I have ever owned.
Sam and I are looking forward to many comfortable miles with it.

It took alot of research and a one last ditch effort on the GMC for a good ride before we pulled the trigger.
I am not at all saying that GMC doesnt build a comfortable truck. They do. But we could not afford it.

The discounts on the 2010 Fords made this possible for us to do right now.

SouthernNights

yeah the chrome does make it look nice-almost large car!!

Thanks Mike and Deb-we will be in NC in Oct with it-just finished putting in the air compressor, pressure pro-etc etc-man there was alot of stuff to switch. but it is done.

Going to put the bed rails in for the hitch on Tuesday. Hopefully if the weather cools down a bit we are going to try it out next weekend.