Looking for design ideas on tapered front jack leveling blocks

jbeletti

Hey JB, aren't you worried about overloading the rear axle a bit?

I never worry about things I'm ignorant of :)

But, not that you've pointed it out - something to think about.

Wonder if we do the same thing at campgrounds at times? I was camped a few weeks back where the front jacks were "completely" collapsed and the rears were at full extension. Been in situations where it's nearly the opposite too.

By super-loading one axle for a weekend or so, do you feel we are doing damage to the axle, springs, tires?

DonnyB007

Once you have the trailer level side to side, next comes front to back. My home driveway is slanted to the side and front to back. I use that yellow triple level block under the trailer's driver's side tire. Then I use heavy duty blocks on all tires of the trailer. The trailer is then disconnected from the truck and I level my trailer front to back. I place a two foot level on the top of the A-Frame and use my power jack to lift the whole trailer up. It has to go up in the air so much, that I place a 6X6X18 inch block under the bottom lift plate before I start! Then I get the trailer level front to back based on the bubble reading of the level.

Finally, I take a bunch of 4X4x18 inch wood blocks and start stacking them up. Place down two blocks parallel to each other, and about 10 inches apart; then two more 90 degrees on top of those bottom blocks working your way up. The goal is to be able to bring down the scissor jacks with about 50% left for more stabilizing scissor action. I use the 18volt battery drill to bring the scissor jacks up and down. I have used this method countless times on just about every conceivable parking spot I have been at and it has worked fast and accurate each time. I did purchase a similar set of blocks like you have pictured above with the yellow rope handles. I have never used them yet for stabilizing the scissor jack locations.

Anyway, that's my story and I am sticking to it :). Happy camping!

Bob and Chris

Senior Members
Jim,
I have a similar drive issue, don't know the slope. I use pressure treated 6x6's (5 1/2"x5 1/2") 11 1/2" long on end. Have considered moving up to 8" x 8" with a 1/2" recess in the top to capture the legs. I can just about walk under the kingpin when level, I'm 6'-0". We've added the six point Lippert since purchasing our 2010 and use the electric rear stabilizers for 8 points of contact.